Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrokenBrick

Time freezes

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • For some reason time keeps freezing in one of my cities.  It is in a large region that I have already networked together with ferries and elevated highways so I'd hate to have to have to blow it up.  When I start the game time will run for about a month then stop.  If I save and exit to region, then load up the city, it will do the same thing again.  Time passes just fine in other cities in my region, and other regions as well.  Could it just be lag associated with that one city? I can't think of anything, any help is appreciated

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you, but it might just be a time lag. However, it can be improved by making your virtual memory at least three times as big as your physical RAM. I also suggest an increase in the actual total of physical RAM.

Sometimes my time freezes, too, but only at maximum speed.

I get it working again if I turn to slowest speed agin and wait a bit. After a while the kalendar turnes and I con increase the game speed.

Bernhard

As Constantina stated, this is a computer issue. It seems like the game is working on background things like traffic routing, etc. while this happens. I have a large map that has around 400K sims in it, and whenever I change anything to do with the road or transit systems, time stops for about 30 secs. Try the virtual memory thing as she suggests.

I have kind of same problem with one of my cities. It started ok, but started to freeze from time to time after it grew to a certain size.

The city will load as normal and runs for a month, then the time freezes for a long time, long means more than one minute. I think I had to keep building stuff and at some point it will start running again. It seems that if I don't do anything it will freeze forever.

It's different from normal pauses you get when running a big city, becuase those pauses usually last for no more than 5 seconds. And I have an Opteron 144 with 2GB memory (and 4GB VM), I don't think my freeze is any normal background computation~ 3.gif

If any one have bumped into such a problem before and have solved it, I would really need some guidence. Five other cities are depending on it~ :-) thx

P.S. I have no plug-ins installed at the moment, so it shouldn't be the cause either.

• Original Poster
  • Well I have a gig of ram and a radeon 9800 pro.  I could increase my virtual memory though.  I am going to try running my game directory on my other computer and see what happens.  And also try to run a speed below cheetah to see if there is less lag.  Part of the lag may be due to the fact that there is a lot of traffic between the city I am working on and the adjacent city; car, elevated rail, subway, and bus.  Traffic has already become horrendous going from one city to the other on every mode of transportation I have available. 

I think the game pauses like that because it is calculating new commute times/paths. Even if you have the best newest computer, it will still pause in a city of 1 million+ sims. See for yourself. Find a REALLY busy intersection and click the Commute Query on it so you can see all the paths. During this "down" time you may notice that the paths change a lot. Or at least I notice this. They occasionally change other times, but it seems most of the changes happen during these pauses, which occur every few sims months. Anybody else agree?

In my considered opinion and my regular practice, I hardly ever run in cheetah mode except when i want a quick effect.  Running the game flat out on any computer will get the simulator so far ahead of the GUI that brief pauses are necessary to catch up with the GUI.  I have found that rhino mode is rather a happy medium.

Unlike SC3K(U) the name of this game is not to zone like crazy then run like blazes.  It is to grow gradually, taking a natural approach towards growth.  This succeeds every time, and you can concentrate on aesthetics.

Remember, the game is open-ended and you can choose any goal you like.  You'll get there whether you do it in one play session or a year of play sessions.  The speed you run the simulation at only contributes to the number of mistakes you can make.

I almost always run my cities at cheeta speed myself...and I get lots of  times when the city actually freezes up....think it has to do with the city updating comute times...demand changes cuz of influx of new simms...eduction (just about every factor in the game being calculated)

I notice most of the slow downs happen when A: city pop gets above 150K...B: large region population...C: being playing the same city for a while at one senssion...D: playing with a lot of plugins..D: playing at the fatest speed

basily come to the conclusion, at top speed the game needs to take a breather every once in a while for a few seconds (sometimes up to a minute in very large cities) just to  calculatite whats going to happen next...this happens less and less a as you lower any of tha above factors...the slower speeds allow the game to make the calculations while playing..try running at top speed in a marathon...your gonna tire...3.gif

if your experince freezing for longer perionds i would guess spec problems with your game  ..maybe this city is over taxing your system or has a bat or lot of some sort in it that the others don't (wacky growable lot ?)

I always play at cheetah and encounter exactly the same slowdown examples as Tolomar with the addition of large tile cities running slower and slowing even more as they develop. Having played on several computers with differing specs, I think Skyfire is right...no matter how good the computer is, there are still going to be slowdowns (albeit more pronounced on slower systems) while the game catches up with itself and does its number crunching. It's just something we have to live with to some degree, however, if it seems to be slowing really excessively, you may have some conflicting mods or a system issue. Since you say it seems to be happening in one city noticably more than the others, are you using any mods or BATs in this city that you're not using in the others? If so, those may be contributing to the problem. Also, I seem to have noticed a bit more slowing in cities where I've had large variances in topography as compared to relatively level ones.