Sign in to follow this  
zzsim

Your favorite amusment parks/roller coasters

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello all 10.gif!  This thread is pretty simple, what are your favorite amusment park(s) and your favorite roller coaster(s)?  As my avatar implies, I am a bit of a roller coaster enthusiast, and I was interested in hearing about which coasters you guys like to ride and what parks you like to visit.  I'll start:

Favorite Parks: Busch Gardens Tampa (home park) and Six Flags over Georgia

Favorite Coasters: Sheikra (coaster in avatar) and Montu, both at Busch Gardens Tampa

Note:  You don't need to use this format.

Well, I've only been to about 3 amusment parks. Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Hershey Park, and Six Flags here in Maryland.

My favorite ride at Six Flags in Roar. At Busch Gardens it's Lochness Monster.

Overall, my favorite type of roller coasters are defiently wooden roller coasters.

zzsim- I really want to go to the Busch Gardens in Tampa. 4.gif

-Ellie

i dont really like rollercoasters and those places are always really hot... I like going schlitterbahn,which is an extremely large waterpark in the town of new braunfels. its so big portions of the park are separate from one another and to get there you ride a tram that runs across the town.

Plus they closed astroworld in houston. Six Flags is in monster debt, and they figured they could fix some of that by selling off astroworld since it was assumed the land it sits on is worth a lot of money(the new light rail ends right next door so it would be a logical place for a condo development), but unfortunately it turns out that land isnt that good because its tough to get to and also theyd need to do some enviromental stuff because its on some old oilfield. So its just all torn down and empty....

• Original Poster
  • ___idiotbox:  Busch Gardens Tampa is a really great park, with the same great theming/atmosphere of Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  If you ever get out there, the three main steel coaster, Kumba, Montu, and Sheikra are must rides.  Since you like wooden coasters, you might enjoy Gwazi, but it is pretty rough now, always gives me a slight headache after riding.  By the way, when was the last time you went to BGW?  Lochness Monster is a great coaster, but if you were there when Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot were opened, I'm surprised you didn't choose one of those.  

hamsterTK:  Its too bad that Astroworld closed.  I never got the chance to go there, but it seemed like a pretty good park.  From what I've heard Schlitterbahn is an awesome waterpark, I'd definetly want to visit it if I'm ever in the Houston area.

Plus they closed astroworld in houston. Six Flags is in monster debt, and they figured they could fix some of that by selling off astroworld since it was assumed the land it sits on is worth a lot of money(the new light rail ends right next door so it would be a logical place for a condo development), but unfortunately it turns out that land isnt that good because its tough to get to and also theyd need to do some enviromental stuff because its on some old oilfield. So its just all torn down and empty.... quote>

Yeah, and to think I only went there once the whole time that it was open.. and it was a field trip back in middle school.

Anyways, I go to a large local waterpark called SplashTown and I go there about 30 days of the year... but especially in the summer [when it is open, of course].

ZZsim, you are right, I wouldn't mind going to that new waterpark down in Galvestion. It looks huge and it looked like a lot of fun!

They Closed AstroWorld?

Only went thier once a long time ago when i enjoyed Amusment parks.

now They are a total whipping to me. The crowds, the heat, waiting 2 hours for a 1 minute ride. be there 8 hours ond only ride 5 or so rides?

Ugggh. what a waste of time.

Let's see: Corkscrew at Alton Towers is ok, and I've yet to go on Nemesis and Air, but I will in a few weeks when I go with my school.

The real coasters are in the US, and I LOVED Duelling Dragons (Blue was the best) and Hulk. Hulk was great because you get accelerated up a hill and you don't know it's happening for a few seconds! Unfortunately when I went to Busch Gardens, Montu was in maintenance, but there were other rides there that were great!

BTW, if ever visit Scotland, don't go to M&Ds, it's rubbish and the coasters look temporary and look as though they could fall apart at any minute!

• Original Poster
  • Easy Bakes, the line really depends on what time you go to the park and on what days. I go to Busch Gardens Tampa on the weekdays and I only wait 5-20 minutes for a roller coaster most, if not all of the day. If I go on the weekend the lines are typically much longer, 30 minutes to an hour, except in the morning or right before the park closes. Basically, if you want to avoid crowds/lines go to a park on a weekday (if possible) or early on a weekend, and whatever you do, never go on a holiday.

Originally posted by: zzsim Easy Bakes, the line really depends on what time you go to the park and on what days. I go to Busch Gardens Tampa on the weekdays and I only wait 5-20 minutes for a roller coaster most, if not all of the day. If I go on the weekend the lines are typically much longer, 30 minutes to an hour, except in the morning or right before the park closes. Basically, if you want to avoid crowds/lines go to a park on a weekday (if possible) or early on a weekend, and whatever you do, never go on a holiday.quote>

Or Work thier.

I worked 2 summers at a water park. 40.gif

And the best time to go is  at an employee party. ! ! !

As fast as you can get up the stairs is  how many times you can  go ! !

Okay, for some reason I haven't heard Cedar Point mentioned in a roller coaster thread... what's up with that? They have more roller coasters than any park in the world, and the most rides out of any park in the world. The first time I went there I rode every roller coaster they had at the time, with the exception of the Magnum and the Mean streak. I didn't get to rife the mean streak because the friend I was with left the line and then cut back in, so we both were thrown off. And some guy scared me off the Magnum talking about how intense it was.

I've been to Valleyfair! in Shakopee, Minnesota (shock-uh-pee) numerous times because it is by far the nearest amusement park to where I live. My favorite ride there is the High Roller, a traditional wooden rollercoaster. That is the park with the recent derailment of the Wild Thing, which I have almost worked up the courage to ride several times. It doesn't go upside down or anything, but a 203 foot drop scares me enough. I figure they'll be inspecting it even more after it crashed so I might ride it if I go there again this summer.

I've also been to Dorney Park in Pennsylvania once and liked their large wooden double roller coaster, where there were two tracks that raced each other.

Took a trip to Astroland in Coney Island, New York and rode the Cyclone a few times. It truly is a classic. I missed my chance to ride Dino's Wonder Wheel, though.

I went to Cedar Point once as well, which didn't do me much good because I am a wuss when it comes to coasters and it was jam packed. They put up digital signs that gave an estimated line wait, and rides like the Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster were well over 3 hours.

I went to Disneyland in California when I was about five ,and was an even bigger wuss then. Rode the teacups a lot.

If I am ever on vacation anywhere near Texas I will try to make it out to Schlitterbahn.

Originally posted by: diablo_del_bano Okay, for some reason I haven't heard Cedar Point mentioned in a roller coaster thread... what's up with that? They have more roller coasters than any park in the world, and the most rides out of any park in the world. The first time I went there I rode every roller coaster they had at the time, with the exception of the Magnum and the Mean streak. I didn't get to rife the mean streak because the friend I was with left the line and then cut back in, so we both were thrown off. And some guy scared me off the Magnum talking about how intense it was.quote>

Not anymore.  Tatsu put SFMM ahead by one.  Though, CP's new ('07?) Intamin will tie it up again.

Anyway, on topic:

So far I've been to Six Flags over Texas and King's Dominion (not Paramount's anymore...)  I prefer PKD, but if it goes downhill a la Knotts now that Cedar Fair bought it, that may change.

My favorite ride at the moment is Grizzly @ PKD.  However, I'm going to SFMM this summer, so I suspect Tatsu will have it beat.

-ACE

zzsim: I was there around Halloween(I go every year around halloween 3.gif) I like apollos chariot and I went on it. But I dont like Alpengeist because it is a hanging rollor coaster. I think I might be going to florida around my birthday and I really want to go if i convince my parents to go. The theme of BGT is a fun theme. Doesn't BGT have animals?

-Ellie

• Original Poster
  • ^Nice park sloppet, good theming but the swing looks too intense for me 46.gif( < lame Roller Coaster Tycoon reference for anyone who hasn't played the game 2.gif)

Originally posted by: ___idiotbox zzsim: I was there around Halloween(I go every year around halloween 3.gif) I like apollos chariot and I went on it. But I dont like Alpengeist because it is a hanging rollor coaster. I think I might be going to florida around my birthday and I really want to go if i convince my parents to go. The theme of BGT is a fun theme. Doesn't BGT have animals?

-Elliequote>

^ Yes BGT has alot of African animals to see, and the theming is excellent, though I personnally preferred the theming at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  The roller coasters, Sheikra, Kumba, and Montu, are all awesome rides, and well worth a visit.  Have a great trip if you get a chance to go 10.gif!

superman_rideofsteel2.jpg 

Six-Flags Darien Lake 

Superman - Ride of Steel a high-speed supercoaster. Speeds of 70 mph, it climbs a 208-foot lift hill, and then comes screaming down - at a 70 degree angle! 

predator2.jpg 

Predator - 12 Drops belived to be the tallest wooden coaster in NY. Fair Warning; built in `90, it's safe but if you plan to hit this coaster make it the last one you do - because it WILL rattle your jazz loose.

KD (no more paramount, YAY!!!) is cool especially Grizzly front seat at night it is so cool. And Hyper Sonic XLC and Volcano, all at KD. Ceder Point is sweet too

My favourite park will allways be Alton Towers, its allways had a special feel to it, and uncommerialised compared to the parks i visited in america. As for my favourite coaster, Nemises, Alton Towers, claming to be the worlds most intense rollercoaster and its awesome. Second best are The Hulk at Islands of Adventure, awesome ride (and the only thing thats come nearly as close to Nemises for me) and Collosus at Thorpe PArk, holding the world record for most inversions (10)

I don't really go to Theme parks that often but,

my favourite roller coaster is:

that Jurassic park ride at Universal studios in Disneyland florida

and my favorutie amusement park is:

MGM Studios, Disneyland Florida

Originally posted by: ILL Tonkso My favourite park will allways be Alton Towers, its allways had a special feel to it, and uncommerialised compared to the parks i visited in america. As for my favourite coaster, Nemises, Alton Towers, claming to be the worlds most intense rollercoaster and its awesome. Second best are The Hulk at Islands of Adventure, awesome ride (and the only thing thats come nearly as close to Nemises for me) and Collosus at Thorpe PArk, holding the world record for most inversions (10)

quote>

Nemisis would be the most intense.  I think.  Black Mamba might be close, but those are the only two to mix Inverts and terrain.

I've heard Collosus has gotten pretty rough the last few years...  For an Intamin, at least.

Going to BGW (I refuse to call it BGE) tommorow, so I may have a few new favorites soon...

-ACE