Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grover_G

Origins of City Journals in city building games

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I'm curious. I have a vague memory of seeing one for SimCity 3000 a long time ago. But were they any that came about even earlier?

sim_city_2000-1.jpg

It is hard to tell. I know a city journal of a SimCity 3000 city, but I have not searched for any SimCity 2000 Journals before. Another thing is that I never played SimCity 4 before. Sorry.

hmm... i remember back in the simcity 2000 days i would download entire cities, that was pretty neat. Wouldnt work nowadays unless you downloaded their plugins folder as well and also those would be some monster file sizes that would take a ton of bandwidth. maybe bittorrent could be utilized for something like that one day, but then again i wouldnt want anyone playing my personal cities.

and i dont think they had cj's back then. but i dont remember back then that well.

What is a CJ? Some are just galleries of eye-candy. Some are very tutorial in nature. Some are experiments in max population or perfection or whatever.

I would bet that someone did those kinds of things almost as soon as it was possible with SimCity and the level of tech. And btw, us old timers did fine with Bulletin Board Systems, FIDONET, 1200 baud and lower modems, etc., debussyman.

But I think the modern CJ probably owes a lot to The Sims and diarys.

I remember downloading entire cities up until SC3000 unlimited, and honestly until then, that was the best way to see someone else's work. A city might have only been 500 kb or so, as opposed to 5 mb of photos. I remember uploading my share of SC3000 cities onto the Internet onto the various Simcity pages that existed back in the late '90s/ early 21st century.

However, I don't see anyone considering journals for non-Simcity city simulators - for example, the Impressions Games simulators. Those would have made excellent city journals becuase the historical setting leaves the door wide open for storytelling. Not that I've seen one, but maybe there was one.

Where did the term city journal come from anyway? It's a Simtropolis creation, right? I remember a site from 2000 or so that showcased a set of SC3000 cities from the point of view of a tourist board. But it was fully interactive and was not the linear "city journal" that we know and love today.