Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sendarrow

Abuse of the STEX?

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • "Abuse of the STEX will result in your permanent ban. You have been warned."

I just saw this sign and got REALLY scare. What is it about? I must confess that in those days I've had download  A LOT of  STEX items but I think we can download  whatever  quantity  we can since we are members and the only thing that is consuming RAM is the end-user's PC.

What's going on here?

Its mostly referring to uploading rather than downloading. Don't worry, you can download as much as you want as long as you don't plagiarise.

I have noticed a list of all the new STEX moderators and admins to add to the effect. Hip, hip hoary to the admins and the new STEX moderators who have made our STEX safe again. 39.gif

okay, someone really needs to add "ATTENTION ALL USERS:" to that warning. otherwise these threads are gonna keep coming in.

This makes me feel better! I was scared there for a moment, I thought I was going to be banned from the stex. It's a good thing though that the moderaters are posting that. But yeah I agree with hamsterTK.

What is the limitations of stex downloads? I can grab all stex files for much own myself for the game that a results of the abusing. Thank you for you make you stex files dowloading for free and fun. I had more that a one gigabyte of stex downloads plus the massive Japanese exchange files. This is a time to control myself in downloading the stex files not to scare youself. I dont know what will happen to me anymore... This is a community and the moderators have much effort for make to do such rules and regulations on the entire site.

IGGYMAN101: Don't worry about it. It's not about what you download, but about what is uploaded to STEX. Read the posts by sim1234 and Compromise.

btw: What is consider abuse of STEX ? Should the line: 'Abuse of the STEX will result in your permanent ban. You have been warned' link to a post or an article (mabye at the Omnibus) to what is consider abuse and what is consider good behaviour ?

What about moving the text to the upload page ?

Originally posted by: vester_DK IGGYMAN101: Don't worry about it. It's not about what you download, but about what is uploaded to STEX. Read the posts by sim1234 and Compromise.

btw: What is consider abuse of STEX ? Should the line: 'Abuse of the STEX will result in your permanent ban. You have been warned' link to a post or an article (mabye at the Omnibus) to what is consider abuse and what is consider good behaviour ?

What about moving the text to the upload page ?quote>

This Omnibus article was the best one I could find about ST EXchange usage and perhaps needs to be expanded a bit more to cover uploading better.

The warning is worded and phrased in a manner, that is likely to scare many. Me included.

The warning should be announced or titled:

EXAMPLE: 

A word of caution to all members: "Abuse of the STEX could result in your permanent ban." 

The "you have been warned" part,  is bad ethics at it's un-finest. Also notice that We should direct the announcement at "All members" clearly and politely and directly stated.

Whoever put up the present warning; made it direct to the point but completely rude and unclear.

The chances are it was dirk who added that warning and I doubt that he was expecting this sort of response. I don't blame him for doing it since cleaning up other peoples mess is frustrating but I agree that something like "Attention all members:" should be added.

Originally posted by: frndofyaweh The warning is worded and phrased in a manner, that is likely to scare many. Me included.

EXAMPLE: 

A word of caution to all members: "Abuse of the STEX could result in your permanent ban." 

The "you have been warned" part,  is bad ethics at it's un-finest. Also notice that We should direct the announcement at "All members" clearly and politely and directly stated.

Whoever put up the present warning; made it direct to the point but completely rude and unclear.quote>

If it scared you, that's a good sign.  Since that has gone up, I've noticed that there have been fewer garbage uploads already to the STEX.  It's doing exactly what it's supposed in a very effective manner.  Also, saying that "You have been warned" is perfectly fine, as those people who spam the STEX needed that warning, and those who haven't should simply take it as a reminder of what will happen if you do.

In my oppinion they should make it SLIGHTLY bigger, I barely noticed it this morning.

I am glad it's been put there, with all the spamming going on in the STEX lately I am glad Dirk or whoever put it up there has done so.

Originally posted by: frndofyaweh The warning is worded and phrased in a manner, that is likely to scare many. Me included.

EXAMPLE: 

Whoever put up the present warning; made it direct to the point but completely rude and unclear.quote>

How about this?

Abuse of the STEX will result in your permanent ban. So don't spam.quote>

or this?

Simtropolis welcomes sensible uploaders. Spammers will be kicked out.quote>

It has nothing to do with your downloading (unless you're downloading gigabytes of data every day for days on end). 3.gif

The purpose of this is simply to remind everyone that the STEX is for the mutual enjoyment of the entire community.  This means that both uploaders and downloaders are to use it responsibly.  That means uploaders don't upload spam or other worthless stuff, and downloaders not flame people who are making a legitimate attempt to contribute something (even if you don't download it).

That's right!

What do you think about the cat voice "meow" during the gameplay Simcity4? It is a virus? Norton disk doctor can detect this virus on my disk. While I playing Simcity 4, I heard that voice comes from the cat. That is the cause that the uploader can upload a virus.

Thank You!

Originally posted by: IGGYMAN 101 That's right!

What do you think about the cat voice "meow" during the gameplay Simcity4? It is a virus? Norton disk doctor can detect this virus on my disk. While I playing Simcity 4, I heard that voice comes from the cat. That is the cause that the uploader can upload a virus.

Thank You!quote>

Dont worry its one of the CSX lots that does this, frightenend me the first time it went off as it was 2am and suddenly a very loud meowing filled my headphones 6.gif

All stex files are good one for me at the first time. Sometimes, did not know the virus will be enter on your computer. Some other sites can be provided a files, from the uploader, including the patches or trainers which upgrades your game play specially sim city4. My brother said and advice me not to download a trainer because the virus can inserted inside. Virus on the internet will be invented by everyone especially a graduating computer science student can propose a virus for what purpose...?

People create viruses for two purposes: 1. To completley mess up your system for their own entertainment, and 2. To use the virus to scan your system for any personal information (ie: address, phone #, personal info, ect.) and send it via internet connection to their system. There you have identity theft or internet predators. Also spyware can be a very big problem. On the STEX, I haven't come across anything that seems to have malicious code embedded into the file, and I don't expect to see it anytime soon. The only problem I have ever come across with files from the STEX are ones that conflict with other plugins or the game itself, which is easily fixable.