Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hohoo

How to efficiently reduce the noise

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I am struggling for this for a long time, still did not find a good way to reduce the noise. There are several ways I tried:

1) Have the noise reduction fense

2)Setup bus-stop, subway-stop road

3)set the main road not towards the building

My layout is like this below:

[]=============================[]

[]~~~~~~~~~~BUS || SUB~~~~~~~~~~~~[]

[]~#########=>  ||  <=###########~[]

[]~~~~~~~~~~SUB || BUS~~~~~~~~~~~~[]

[]=============================[]

When the resident density increase, the middle lane becomes very crowded. Even I build the fense around the building, the noise is still very high. I tried to encourage the people to take the bus or sub, still some people are travelling by car. Seems the noise is impossible to reduce. This makes me really frustrated. I really appreciate if someone can come out better idea to solve this problem. Thanks!

I try to keep my higher wealth residences about 6 - 10 tiles away from high straffic roads. Even then I can still get Medium noise, but if the other factors are good I'll still get R$$$. I'm looking at a Montessori Manor (R$$$, Occupancy 12/14) right now that has Everthing optimal except traffic noise, which is high.

traffic noise is really an indicator of the amount of congestion near a given lot.

the best way to reduce noise is to reduce congestion.  volume seems to be a factor, but congestion is the worst.

Hmm, well, I guess I would ask why you'd really even care about traffic noise first. Its effect seems to be overall, minimal, on desirability.

With higher densities of population, traffic noise is almost inevitable. If you lay out your residential areas so that no homes face the main road you will reduce the traffic noise somewhat. I've not studied this effect extensively, so I don't really have any surefire solution for you. This reminds me of the inevitable 'high' pollution that occurs when you have large amounts of I-HT around. If you keep other factors well under control, the traffic noise should not be an issue.

(This is of course one of the purposes of having great education, health and other services in dense areas; it counteracts traffic noise and pollution from cars.)

Try the road top mass transit stations if you want to get more people to ride the bus or subway.