Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

castun

Most efficient way to build farms?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I've been wondering, what does everyone consider the best way to build farms?  Does building a single large farm zone give the same amount of jobs as splitting it up into 4 smaller farms?  What about the taxes?

I hate to break it to you deloreanz1 but each farm tile provides jobs just as the building does. I have a medium tile city with 5 seperate farm areas (5 buildings) and enough farm jobs for a state fair!

check out my CJ (page 2, Timber Vale update) and see what I mean.

castun: build your farms anyway you want, just remember that a farm city will not make you rich. such villages are mainly just for looks but as you can see in my CJ, looks can be quite nice.

• Original Poster
  • Well I was just looking to make a smaller village or two around where I plan the downtown area to be, just to satisfy some of the farm demand, and to make things look pretty.

Castun, if you keep your civic expenses under control, farm areas can be profitable. What services you choose will not cover your entire population. Medical is the only essential, and you can put a clinic in a rural village that is surrounded by farms. Your main source of income will be mostly R$ and some R$$ taxes (about 80/20), but those are dependent on Sims being gainfully employed by the farms. Your I-Ag taxes just covers the electric and part of the street expense. As the villages and towns develop, your farm based R$$ residences will form the backbone of the middle class to work in I-M and Co$$, once you have a smidge of educaton (which by the way a few in the lower stages can develop WITHOUT water but must have some education).

I have seen the arguments for jobs provided by the field tiles versus the structure tiles, and for me they aren't compelling for how I structure the land. If you query the traffic going in and out of a medium farm, you'll usually find about 15 jobs in and about 1 or 2 freight trucks out per farm. By my calculation you get about 1 job for every 15 to 30 field tiles, but keep in mind with rural areas you are trading off wasting a lot of cheap real estate offset by cheap support costs.

If you zone a few 4 tile and 9 tile residential on farm lots, you'll find later down the road that you'll get the larger R$$ and possibly even R$$$ properties (assuming you're willing to water right up to the property line). I call these the "hobby farms", which in the real world simulate the 5 - 10 acre spreads that rich people buy for a second home (in other cultures they are "dachas" or "estancias"). The farmland itself is a significant contributor to desirability, and a factor that pays for itself!

Farms, even small ones, are also your justification for using community gardens from the Parks menu. I don't see many of these used in the CJs, but they are very common in rurual areas and in Europe you'll see expanses of community gardens in urban areas, often located near marginal land like railroad tracks and the wasted land around major roads and highways.

Also, for every five or six farming villages, include a farming town that has a large medical center, and water that town. That facility includes 53 R$$ and 11 R$$$ jobs. Every dozen to eighteen villages should include a town based around a community college, also watered. The college provides 120 R$$ and 20 R$$$ jobs. About every 5,000 population should include a large Cs$/$$ commercial center to augment the town square stores and convenience shops.

Hope this helps.