Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LordTarren

Does the "STEX Selections" sidebar need to go?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • I have been watching the "STEX Selections" sidebar lately, and today decided to post a concern.  There seems to be no reason for it whatsoever.  I assumed it was created for the purpose of showcasing popular or semi-popular uploads, similar to "Today's Spotlight", but what I see on it now is, frankly, quite ridiculous. 

The "Gogo carts"  bat, uploaded May 6th, which has never recieved a proper picture, got hammered with bad comments and thumbs down, and is considered spam by many, is now on the front page, in the "selections" sidebar.  An upload that probably should have been removed.

What is the point?  Showcasing bad uploads is not something I'd be proud of.  Is that sidebar simply *randomly* chosen, regardless of how well the upload was recieved? 

Some explaination would be greatly appreciated

Yeah, its random. I think the point is to people easily glance at stuff buried at the back of the STEX you never knew about. It is actally pretty useful, once in a while.

the idea is to showcase different lots...and a good or bad lot is a matter of opoin...aka beauty is in the ye of the beholder

anyone who slams anyone...even the worse lot on the STEX should be ashamed of themselves..ok some aren't that well worked on lots...but everyone has to start somewhere...and slamming ppl for accidently not posting the correct stuff, like a pic on the STEX...is just wrong

some are kids...others are ppl just learning...english might not be their first language...anyone who takes the time to make a lot and upload it for other to use...is a good thing.....don't like the lot...post your reasons, politely and maybe a helpful sugestion...then move on

anyone who slams anyone...even the worse lot on the STEX should be ashamed of themselves..ok some aren't that well worked on lots...but everyone has to start somewhere...and slamming ppl for accidently not posting the correct stuff, like a pic on the STEX...is just wrongquote>

nobody says you have to upload your  first creations...you really should wait until you have something worthwhile to upload. All that mentality does it cause there to be tons and tons of crap lots with 9/10 ratings.

yeah, its been handy for me on occasion.

And we can fix the problem of crap uploads getting on there if the STEX is moderated more. Also, one user managed to upload a BAT that was not his an claim it as his own(that skyasauras guy), then when that got deleted he reuploaded.

But who knows, maybe he's just a kid and didnt know what he was doing was wrong and also figured maybe that it got deleted by accident or something.

Good point, LordTarren. I got a chuckle when you mentioned it because I actually fell for the item about the "Go Carts" BAT when it was placed in the sidebar, thinking maybe the guy finally uploaded a pic, people started downloading it and it got rave reviews. I went back to check it out and nothing had changed since it was first posted, except some more negative comments were added. There have been several items lately that when I went to check them out, I thought "What's the point of this?"

I think the sidebar does have a place for showcasing new and interesting stuff and, also as SC4Noobie points out, features of old, buried stuff that we forgot about or didn't have time to dig for.

• Original Poster
  • Alright, that was mostly what I wanted to know, what it's point was and if it was indeed randomly done.

And Tolomar - um, no. Beauty is not "in the eye of the beholder" with the amount of garbage that has been uploaded, including that "Gogo cart" creation. By "slamming" I mean the barrage of negatives, like "this is spam" "stop posting without a picture", "no pic no click", "too much spam on stex" etc, and thumbs down ratings, so please know the context of my remarks before claiming everyone who makes these negative comments is in the wrong. Why it hasn't been deleted is anyone's guess, same with todays building of the day with yet again no picture. This has absolutely nothing to do with "starting somewhere".

But anyway, my questions have been answered