IRM I-HT SC4Tech Factory by SimGoober 1.0.0

(4 Reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION MOD

SC4Tech Factory by SimGoober

1 - INTRODUCTION/OVERVIEW

Enough with the pharmaceutical stuff - let's get back to some plain old high-tech again, shall we?

In the case of the twelfth upload in this series, SC4Tech Factory by SimGoober, the "old" in "plain old high-tech" can be taken literally, because the original BAT dates back to 2005. While it's not the most spectacular building at a first glance, it does have some nice details such as the little rooftop terrace and the illuminated interior in night view. Since it's more or less a corner building, I chose to lot it in two different orientations and make two rather different lots for it, both rather open and not surrounded by fences to encourage the formation of coherent industrial compounds - and/or the use of filler lots, of course!

Since all Maxis lots contained in the IRM Base Pack could optionally be used with toroca's Industrial Jobs Quadrupler, this download is offered in two versions: a regular one for those who prefer the default job numbers, and a quadrupler-compatible version for those who prefer using the modified stats.
The .sc4desc files for the regular version will look like this: IRM_[Filename].sc4desc
The .sc4desc files for the quadrupler version will look like this: IRM_[Filename]_x4.sc4desc
After downloading, simply delete the file of the version you don't want to use. If you leave both in your plugins, the quadrupler version will most probably override the default version.

The default version of the building will provide 50 I-HT jobs, the quadrupler version 200 I-HT jobs.

The following lots are included in this download:
  • 4x6, Stage 2
  • 5x5, Stage 2

For those of you who like to play with day and night view, the building used on this lot is compatible with the following night light mode(s):

• Maxis Night with gradual day/night cycle: YES
  • Maxis Night with static day or night: YES
  • DarkNite* with static day or night: YES

*DarkNite requires SimFox' Day and Nite Modd (or a similar darkening mod) to be installed in your plugins. 

2 - USE

If you extract this archive to your root plugins folder, it should create a folder IRM\IRM Expansion\[NAME OF BAT], where [NAME OF BAT] represents the name of this download item. Within that folder, you will find all the game-relevant files and a sub-folder containing the HTML readme and some screenshot(s).

If you no longer wish to use this download, proceed as follows:

• Bulldoze all lots pertaining to this download
  • Save all the cities and exit the game when you're done bulldozing
  • Remove the associated files from your plugins folder

Hint: Just to be sure, I recommend moving the undesired files somewhere else and doing some checks before you delete them permanently. This way, if it turns out you forgot to bulldoze something, you can add it back in temporarily until you're done.

3 - DEPENDENCIES

1. IRM Base Pack with all its dependencies - while these lots will technically work, they are meant to tie into the IRM. They may look out of place and show unexpected behaviour if used independently. Since this is an extension to the IRM, all the dependencies of the original pack still apply. If you have them in place, you can download every single growable IRM and IRM W2W lot I have ever made and will never have to download any additional packs for props and textures used on the lot.
  2. SC4Tech Factory - you'll also need the original upload of the BAT to see the building(s). Only the .sc4model file is required.

NOTE: For any dependency hosted at SC4Devotion (SC4D in short), you must be registered on that site and logged into the site's download area, the BSC File Exchange, in order to see the download button. Please bear in mind that there are separate logins for the forums and for the file exchange. For those of you who may still be unfamiliar with the site: SC4D is another major SimCity community with lots of unique content, so you will not regret making an account there.

RECOMMENDED DOWNLOADS

4 - FINAL WORDS

Credits for the BAT go to SimGoober once again.

T Wrecks, November 20, 2017

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@tariely: Regarding your comment that "the cars are disappointing", could you elaborate that a little? In what way are they disappointing?

They are exactly the same mixture of Maxis car prop families and shaded single-car prop families by Cycledogg that I have been using for every single IRM upload thus far. Therefore, your comment leaves me a bit puzzled, and I'd like to know what exactly you mean. *:???:

[Why can't we reply directly to reviews, btw?]

Share this comment

It must be the first time I really see them. You know what ? Being now able to tinker with the L.E. might have changed the way I look at lots, because I have changed Maxis cars for other ones (HD) on several lots, and the first thing I remember thinking when looking at the pictures was "Why didn't he change the cars?" I don't remember ever thinking that before.

Whatever cars, I love your IRM lots -- I have them all ! 

Share this comment

Ah, so this is what you meant! Thanks for clarifying that.

Well, for all those who might be interested, the reasons I chose these cars are as follows:

• Maxis cars come with those nice randomized car clusters that slowly appear during the morning hours and disappear towards the evening, simulating workers driving there to work and leaving for home - a feature that not many custom car props have, at least to my knowledge.
  • Cycledogg's cars also feature day/night props and come in both regular and shaded versions, and since I used many of Cycledogg's props anyway, it was a logical choice and allowed me to get cars parked in the building's shadow properly shaded - another feature that no other car prop pack I'm aware of can offer.
  • Both of these car prop series are pretty comparable in terms of scaling, both are rather generic and will look OK in many scenarios, and both are realistically subdued in colour. Many custom car assortments are very modern (i.e. they will look out of place in older cities), and I also think that many are oversaturated and will end up looking far too colourful.
  • I could avoid further dependencies for something that I didn't regard as essential.
  • While HD cars look great, the entire rest of the lot - including the main building - is all SD, so I  didn't see much sense in having HD cars in an all-SD environment.

Obviously, there's lots of personal taste and priorities as well as practical considerations involved here - your mileage may vary.

For all those who don't like Maxis cars, some of the packs out there on the STEX contain props that will override their Maxis counterparts, so you'll see those custom cars in place of the vanilla ones everywhere without having to touch any lot yourself.

Share this comment

Oh I get it perfectly, don't worry (you were NOT worrying, I know *:ohyes:) It was just a L.E. noobie's reflex. Y' know, at first we love those new and shiny toys... and then practicality sets in ! *:)

Share this comment

Well, me, I respect that opinion. But first of all, everybody should use the things he/she likes and doing things according to his own needs and preferences. Like a painter who has prefered  materials to work with - some does more watercolor, the other does more acryl, one scratches forms into the layer, another one paints forms on top of the layer. While it's interesting to observe different techniques and to understand them - the question of doing wrong or right by making it this way or that way can lead only to dogmatism in creativity/art.

To demand artists not to paint with oil on canvas but making sitcoms for TV instead - because most people prefer to watch sitcoms instead of going to a museum and watch paitings - perhaps this will always happen and therefore the artist must be selfish on that - his creativity. Obviously - if he's a good painter but a bad punchline writer he would waste his talent to do sitcoms.

So leave this to the artists, what materials they use, it's a a decission artistic licence maybe - while popularity will decide about it. And on many paintings public opinion changed during the decades. There were painter selling their paintings for some bread, 50 years later art dealers sold the same painting for 50 million bucks. So public opinion on art is like a butterfly - jumping from flower to flower with hyped beats of their wings. 

But ...

... to my little knowledge, if the data is organized well on your harddrive, it doesn't make much difference if the game processes one prop a thousand times or thousand different props one time. So regarding performance it doesn't make much difference if a lot has 100 different props or 100 times the same prop, they must be read anymway, both times the same way. To my knowledge it's not that if you use a single prop a hundred times it will be read only one time from HD but instead each placement causes an entry in the lot configuration data and must be read separate and loaded separate. But making empty lots instead of overcrowded lots would be good regarding performance. The total size of your plugin folder matters only on startup of the game. During game the datasize of the model files and the total amount of their presence matters - but not if they are all different or all the same. The result, regarding performance, to my experience is exactly the same. If you stay on default content an create lots with 100 times maxis fluffy bushes on it and plaster your city with it - you get the same performance loss as using 50 HD props of double size. So the amount of props used on lots and their size matters but not the diversity of props - being all different or not.

Therefore I can't understand the argument regarding 'props'. The ones that came first to create cars being essential, those who doing props today not being essential (because new) and therefore can be ignored. 

How to explain? To me other props are essential. To other lotters other files are essential. Some always uses a bunch of girafe flora, some uses always cycledogg trees. This is okay, to have your own prefernces. But the result - if you see the whole - isn't what you say. At the end I will have all the dependencies. Or I stay only with your lots or I download the preferenced dependencies of other lotters. You, yes - your plugin folder may be smart and quick and straight forward - but just if I download three different lotters mine looks different - it's much bigger than yours. So, again, or I ignore all others and stay with your work only or your argument doesn't work as everybody has his own 'essential' props in use.

So, on my part, there is not much meaning in the word 'essential'. The LBT mega prop pack for example - 'essential' to them. Do you use it, is it essential to you? Or mattb325 dependency packs? Are they essential? Of course - if you use his lots/bats. To you?

For real, everybody has his own opinion about what is essential. And in sum - me as the end user have hundreds of dependencies in my plugin folder. All required, all needed - so aren't they all essential to someone who used them? So if you changed your mind on what is essentail, nothing would happen to me. It's your plugin folder that would increase, not mine, as mine is allredy fat because I downloaded stuf from many diffferent creators all wqith different 'essentials'. If all would do the same like you, yes - this would help. We would stay on a couple of old props and ignore all those new creators because they never can be essential because of us ignoring them. As essential only can become what is used frequently. It must be, by definition, the stuff that was there first. And who comes second to make car props, will loose.

One could call this conservatism. To defend the old against the young to protect things from change - to refuse to renew the definition of what is 'essential'. But from my experience as a player, in eight years, conservatism didn't help to keep my plugin folder smart. You know, what's missing, to make it work? A common ground. With your conservatism you defend not a common ground but only your own ground and the next lotter defends his ground and me, my ground. And the downloader has to download it all anyway, all the ground, all the dependencies.

Absolutely nothing is gained at the end. And therefore I doubt this argument to be something benefcial for the community. Still it's your own creative decsission and you should do as you like. I won't touch this. It's just the argument I can't share.

Still, imho, when asked why did you do this, why did you use that - the best and most valid answer for me as an artist is: because I like it to do it this way. Making content for games - I don't do this  for a better world or to enlighten people or to heal the weak. I do it for fun.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Therefore I can't understand the argument regarding 'props'. The ones that came first to create cars being essential, those who doing props today not being essential (because new) and therefore can be ignored.

This is not what I meant to say at all, and I am rather certain that it is not what I ended up saying at all, either.

I did not mean to say "the old cars are essential, the new ones are not". And even more importantly, I never said, thought, or even only insinuated that the reason for my not using newer car props is the mere fact that they are new. (Btw, the latter is an allegation that I could regard as somewhat offensive if I were touchy - paints the picture of me as a grumpy old man refusing to use something new simply because it's new, without any reason whatsoever, just outof spite and closed-mindedness. I don't think I'm quite there yet. *:lol:).

What I wrote was: "I could avoid further dependencies for something that I didn't regard as essential."

It is an undeniable fact that adding another car prop pack would have added at least one download to the dependencies list. Loading times or game performance do not even come to play in this decision. It's purely about user comfort - "is another dependency really worth it for these lots?". The list must end somewhere, or it becomes unwieldy and unmanageable.

The "essential" part is, as you correctly pointed out, the non-factual part of this sentence. It is my personal taste, preference, choice of material - which is pretty clearly expressed in the "I didn't regard as essential". Here you have the "I" which already makes it clear that it is a subjective statement from my perspective, and you have the "regard as", which clearly indicates it is my personal view and not at all intended to claim something as generally essential or not.

And the reason for me personally not regarding those great new HD car props as essential for these lots is not the fact that they are new and that I have any problem with new stuff, but that they were not my preferred choice for looking clearly modern* (i.e. less versatile), for being the only HD component in an SD environment.
_______
*not "modern" as in "newer uploads", but "modern" as in "representations of modern cars from the 90s and onward". The downloads themselves could be from 2005, and the aspect of representing modern cars and being HD would remain unchanged.

The entire "if everybody did it like you, we would keep using the old stuff forever, and creators of something new wouldn't stand a chance" is groundless IMO, and for the very reasons you stated: People have different tastes and regard other stuff as "essential". They will look for the stuff that embodies the best compromise in terms of benefit vs. handling for them. For some people, this might precisely be modern HD car props. So they'll use them and help establish them. This is not a one-man show, after all. There are always other uploaders who help establish things.

And it works from the downloader perspective, too: If most downloaders love a new pack, it will get downloaded many times. Creators will notice that a pack becomes very popular, and this might influence their decision: "Apparently, very many people are using this already, so if I added it as a dependency, most people would probably have it already. This means that they wouldn't have that many additional dependency downloads just because of my lots."

Imagine the NAM: If 20 people were using it, uploader X might hesitate to make it a dependency for their lots if it only offered little benefit for their personal taste. They might think "I dunno, it doesn't look THAT much better with the NAM, and forcing such a huge and rarely used upload down the peoples' throats might not be worth it". However, the popularity that the NAM enjoys with the downloaders - on its own account! - makes it easy for the uploader to say "Aw, who cares - everybody and their dog probably have this already".

Thus, new stuff will emerge and establish itself anyway, simply because we are a community of many, each with their individual taste. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what each of us prefers, because the STEX (and LEX, etc.) are a collection of any stuff that strikes the nerve of some people who like it - and ends up broadening the choice for anyone.

Otherwise you could accuse madhatter106 of hampering download choice and slowing development because he disregards new dependencies and only uses Maxis assets to make his lots. Now you might say "But isn't there some truth in this? Imagine everyone acted like that..." and sure, from a purely theoretical point of view, a community composed of a million madhatter106's might never produce new trees or cars or textures. However, this is a purely theoretical construct that doesn't survive ten minutes in reality: In a real-world community, there is no "if everyone was like that" simply because not everyone is like that, ever. And this is good. *:)

Now, I'm not sure if anyone got any smarter after reading this or if we missed each other's points like two trains running on different tracks and the rest of the users just thinks we've gone completely crazy now, but there's that. Might be better hoisting a beer (or whatever drink you prefer) and enjoying what we have rather than overthinking it.

Share this comment

Okay, - if I understand right and you state that the term 'essential' - apart from a very few fixes maybe - is something subjective. If so, I simply missunderstood you. Sorry.

But this

4 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

People have different tastes

restricted by this

4 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

Creators will notice that a pack becomes very popular, and this might influence their decision: "Apparently, very many people are using this already, so if I added it as a dependency, most people would probably have it already.

working together as a mechanism will result in conservatism. If you do like the ones before you did. It's not you as an artist, I was talking about, but about the risk this becoming a self-censorship by limiting your idears by being afraid of adding props nobody used before. 'Nobody will have it, they will have to download it - should I really include?' And because of this self-censorship new props won't come in use. I never intended to say you do this by your will or being a question of simple taste. But to be an effect of self-censorship regarding non-established mods.

It's not because someone is old fashioned - it's more like being afraid running against the mainstream. Think of fresh lotters - don't we educate them this way? You used to many exotic props (so you'll be flogged on the market place!)

And by no way I wanted to accuse you being old fashioned. Never ever this was on my mind for a second. I swear. As you explained it, why you did use these props - which I enjoyed to read and my thought was instead: "well, shure, he's right."

My interest was (and still is) to understand this mechanism like a market that slowly concentrates on a few brands. How to prevent self-censorship on the use of props. Which, imho, became some kind of ideology here during the years.

What I tried to say: if you limit yourself on a few dependencies, that's okay if you like to do so. exactly this - I never intended to critisize. There's nothing grumpy about that, really. But in no way - this will help users or users can benefit from this. Because at the end there is no difference if they have to download 20 dependencies at once (caused by one lot from one lotter) or 20 dependencies in a year (by downloading a lot here and a lot there).

This is a chimera, maybe some psychological effect, and to download two dependencies here and two dependencies there seems to be more handy instead downloading all four at once. But at the end of the year it's all the same.

What I try to proclaim - it is your choice, which props you use - and only yours, not to community to rule about this. It should be always your artistic/aesthetic choice and only this. And I never complained on your choice. But this sentence, maybe I missunderstood, sounding like to make this choice by thinking to do a favour to the users if you use only 'established' or 'essential' or 'common' props (at the end the term isn't that important but the motivation) - if you think to protect users from too many props in any way - it's like limiting your creativity for nothing. Because all those depedencies you avoid - they will download them anyway. Some other time, somewhere else. It's just they forget fast. They complain if they get a long dependency list at once, but if you give them a part of the same list each month, they won't complain.

So it's this reason for being short in dependencies I highly doubt. You may have your own reasons - and they aren't even my business.

I only want to point out - if you limit your creativity by limiting your use of props because you thinking to do something good to the public - you fail. You steal from your creativity for nothing. Because someone else will make them download all the dependencies you forbid yourself anyway. So this is no reason at all to limit yourself.

This was my point - which isn't related to your lot at all or your work. It was related to your response to @tariely.

So I was pretty off topic quite from the start. This might be the main missunderstanding and all my fault. I just started to think about that because of a sentence you wrote - but it doesn't touch your work, you present here.

But maybe I attracted some people to this file with my bubbles? If this is the main result of me thinking in public - to attract people to nice lots - you can't be angry about me being off topic. Don't you?

Share this comment

Hahaha, no worries - off-topic or on-topic: unless you attack me (as a person) directly, I won't get angry at you. I like to have you around; you are definitely an asset for this site. *:)

If I'm not sure whether you just "attacked" (too strong a word, really) one of my statements or actions, then I might defend myself against that statement of yours or even get angry about that statement. Or if I feel misunderstood, I might want to clarify. However, since I have come to know you as a very pleasant, good guy who contributes a lot to this site, you can rest assured that it will take a lot to make me think not simply "hm, I cannot agree to this statement" or "what does he mean? That's not how I see it!", but rather "That fantozzi guy is such a jerk." *;)

That being said, of course you are right that it's a certain self-imposed limit to creativity if I restrict my use of props and textures - at least assuming that I might have used more dependencies otherwise.

In each particular case, however, it's really a grey area and not so much a question of black or white - let's take my work as an example:

• One series of lots doesn't constitute my entire creativity - I might very well use other dependencies for other lots (case in point: IDS plaza, for example)
  • It is sometimes hard to tell whether you decided against a dependency because you feared it might be too exotic or whether you did so because it didn't convince yourself. In practice, this will often be a part of both. When I install another 10-megabyte pack and end up deciding that I only really like these two trash cans out of all the items inside, then I might just ditch it - unless I think that precisely these two trashcans are super important and will make or break the entire lot, and that there is no decent substitute. Otherwise, I might end up using similar trashcans from a different pack.
  • There is no hard limit, but IMO users will weigh three factors:
    • How much do I get? (number of lots, amount of benefit for their style of playing)
    • How much hassle is it? (dependencies, installation effort)
    • How interested am I in it? (is it their area of focus or just some nice-to-have?)
      Would a person download a single lot with 25 new dependencies for something they are only remotely interested in?
      Would they download a modular set offering loads of possibilities that's right up their alley and requires only few new dependencies?
      The former case is the worst-case scenario, the latter one is the best case. In practice, most stuff will be inbetween.

You say that a user will probably download whatever dependency my stuff doesn't require if another person's upload requires it. This may happen, yes. However, what also happens occasionally is that a user will skip an upload because they think it's too much hassle and just not worth it - see the colourful equation above.

Not using a dependency because you think that users may object to it might limit the spread of this dependency, sure. Then again (and quite ironically), if dependencies are used such that people will skip the upload, that doesn't help, either.

So it's always about finding the sweet spot, and as to where that sweet spot is - ask 10 people, and you're likely to hear 10 opinions.

As a STEX contributor, it probably helps maintain your sanity if you don't overthink it and let your own taste guide you: Do I like the stuff I'm making? Would I download it like this if I saw it somewhere? Would I moan at the depencencies and skip it, or would I bite the bullet but still be somewhat annoyed?

Then, having considered all this, just upload a package that you think is fine - "I would totally download this!" - and don't worry too much. *:)

Share this comment

On 23/11/2017 at 12:43 AM, T Wrecks said:

Maxis cars come with those nice randomized car clusters that slowly appear during the morning hours and disappear towards the evening, simulating workers driving there to work and leaving for home - a feature that not many custom car props have, at least to my knowledge.

SHK's cars have four timed groups for this and are in families.

If you grab the files from Magneto's SAM 1 package, it has families for Girafe's cars, although I don't think they are timed.

On 23/11/2017 at 12:43 AM, T Wrecks said:

I also think that many are oversaturated and will end up looking far too colourful.

Actually I agree here, some of them really need the textures toned down IMHO. If there is one thing you can say for CP's models, they all fit the game palette/scaling perfectly. (Wait, that's two things, darn it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting debate here and it mirrors the more general dependency debate which has raged on for years.

Now personally would I like to see Girafe's flora on the IRM lots?, along with SHK's car props?, you bet I would! Because, sadly two things that are really hard to override are trees and cars. The former because you can't mod RTK1 to RTK4 props, plus it's real hard to find like for like sizes of trees/flora. The latter because cars vary so much in size, it's hard to be sure they will look right when not done on a per-lot basis. But that's how I like my game, it's certainly not what everyone wants. There is no perfect one size fits all solution for sure. As such there is no right or wrong way to go with props. The execution of how you use textures/buildings and props together, that's the real magic. Where IRM is concerned, I've always felt your lotting was excellent. As much as anything else, it's making all those varied lots manage to fit together so well when grown in clusters. I know first hand, this is not something that is an easy thing to achieve.

Of course, as a modder, you also find yourself sticking with a set of known props/textures. I think most lotters have a style that reflects the choice of dependencies they use for their work. Case in point, I started out using SHKs car props, so I've stuck with them since for consistency. I think Girafe's car props (HD) are probably better looking, but once you go down one path, it's hard to backtrack. One has to remember too that the options when IRM was first being developed, probably didn't include many of these choices. As a modder, do you re-lot hundreds of lots to make a change halfway through? Frankly, knowing the herculean efforts of such projects, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't consider it either.

When it comes down to it, the IRM does so much to improve transform the shoddy, half-finished effort, that came with the base game. It's not a huge amount of work to install everything, to reap the rewards of total Industry Replacement. Then you come along and spoil us with W2W sets. Now, (for me far more exciting), we're getting a bunch of the best industrial buildings, being re-made to fit in with and expand IRM further. It's one of those, I'll take as much as there is on offer situations. I'd love to re-lot them all based on my preferences (as mentioned above), but frankly it's intimidating. Which is a sign of just how much work has gone into making all these lots in the first place. But even if I never get round to it, these will have a home in my plugins folder. IRM is one of those mods I've had since I started using mods. I simply don't think I could live without it, it's become essential. So what if everything doesn't match up in-game? If that bothers me, I need to fire up the lot editor and do something about it. I think that's the reality that some people don't always consider. The LE is the most powerful tool in the SC4 box, it's frankly essential for any serious player. If you want to get the most from all the models and lots available. That way it doesn't matter if I don't like the way a downloaded item looks, I can make them all fit my own game and personalise them. But if someone is doing 90% of the work by making the lots, meaning I just need to add the finishing touches. Well that's 90% less work I need to do to add some great content into my plugins folder. That's not something to complain about, that's a major plus if you ask me.

My 2cts: The IRM strikes a very good balance between the number of dependencies and what you get out of them. I never looked at the list and thought for one second it was too much effort, which is something I have done for other sets. Not only is the number of files reasonable, they are really commonly used files that frankly, few players using mods can live without for long. So it's not intimidating for less serious players to consider downloading. It fits really well even if you don't have a hugely modded game. Flexible, well made content which seriously improves the base game, that's what I consider great works. Even if there are some compromises to be made. Which frankly, there usually is if I'm not downloading my own work :P.

Share this comment