5 Screenshots

About This File

Modern Sound Barriers, by Mattb325.
---------------------------------------

A set of nine sound barrier lots to grace your ground-level highways, heavy rail (etc): really, these can be placed anywhere you think noise from adjacent transport lots might be an issue for your long-suffering sims.

While there are other noise barrier lots out there, I found that some were simply too big, some were too grungy, some didn't have diagonal options and there was a distinct lack of modern-looking barriers, so I made some to suit my own taste.

These sound barriers are a modern concrete, steel and glass option.

The lots have Orthogonal, Diagonal, Orthogonal to Diagonal and Left and Right Overhanging options.

The Ortho->Diag options can be a bit fiddly to place, but you'll soon get the hang of it and to that end each lot has a custom icon to try and make the job a little easier (the standard ortho and diagonals simply have a grey line icon, while the more complex ones have a little picture as well). As a general rule, you should aim to place these lots with the curved glass top facing towards the noise (this has a cupping effect to dampen the noise beyond the wall).

They are found in the parks menu - about half way down. Now, depending on your plugins folder they may not be sequential (i.e. other park lots might appear in between) but they will be very closely positioned to each other in the menu.

As I made these for myself and designed them to be high-end, nice looking sound walls, they do have a park effect (and associated monthly cost), so if you are trying to keep your city looking grungy, don't use these.
While some of you may think that this is very un-realistic, please be mindful that you would only see these sorts of walls bordering nicer residential/commercial/industrial areas in real life, so these lots are designed to stimulate medium to high wealth growth rather than simply being neutral...unfortunately this is the way the game works and to my mind, when modding something with an in-built desirability, it should come with an associated cost.

All the lots have been made transparent (and do not suffer the water bug) so that they will blend in with your terrain.

STATS:

Lot size :                1x1 - 1x2
Plop Cost:              §40
Occupant Groups: Medium Wealth Park; Civic
Park Effect:            +15 over 15 tiles
Landmark Effect:  +20 over 10 tiles
Pollution:                 Air (-)2 over 2 tiles, Water 1 over 1 tiles, Garbage 0 over 0 tiles
Power consumed:  0 MwH
Water consumed:  5 Gallons/Month
Monthly Cost:         §5
Bulldoze Cost:        §10

NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

I've never seen a highway wall self illuminate, so there is only one model file: the day version.

DEPENDENCIES:

This file does not require external dependencies.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.

Thanks, and enjoy!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@vinlabsc3k before you make such sweeping generalisations, telling everyone these can only be used for RHW6 and then down-rating as though you are the sole arbiter on such matters, why don't you try googling "highway sound barrier walls" and looking at the images section of the google results.

As many of the images show the highway walls positioned away from the highway as immediately adjacent to it as per your erroneous claim. In fact, the very first image shows the wall positioned away from the highway:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=highway+sound+barrier+walls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjV-NDM5fPTAhUDQLwKHVITBEsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1527&bih=800

I suggest you get your facts straight before making such grandiose claims.

Share this comment

I agree with @mattb325, soundbarriers are positioned on very different places by the highways, avenues, simple roads. In some cases they are right next to road and behind the wall (half concrete half glass wall) a 1 meter pedestrian walk and immediately the house wall (residential), but other cases the barriers more far away and between the barrier and the highway there are trees and bushes too.

So yepp, I doubt that this set only be able to used for RHW6, because there are so many possibilities.

Share this comment

@mattb325 As a matter of fact the link you give me show walls on the edge of roads for the most part.

I give 3 star because the set is incomplete.

Share this comment

Staff Response:

The mentioned review has been deleted for spreading inaccurate information about this content item.

While all users are encouraged to review, comment and share opinions about files on the STEX, false facts are not helpful. Especially when used on the basis of a rating, they only serve to tarnish an upload's perceived reputation. This is not fair on authors or potential downloads who may otherwise be deceived or mislead (regardless of the intent).

Share this comment

Sound barriers come in all shapes, sizes and forms.  That includes where they are placed relative to the highway.  The highway I drive around on frequently here in Madison WI has sound walls set back quite a ways from the highway.  So, while the location of the sound barrier may not match up to your world view, it doesn't make it 'wrong'.  And you know what?  There are numerous tools available to allow players to completely customize the look and function of these great models, so there is nothing stopping folks from creating their own set of lots that match exactly what they were looking for.  *:yes:

Share this comment

7 hours ago, vinlabsc3k said:

I give 3 star because the set is incomplete.

I'm sorry but incomplete isn't really a fair description. They are as the author intended, so everything that doesn't meet your expectations in terms of what's included is somehow flawed?

You are not rating the set for completeness, rather for the quality of the upload on the basis of the authors intentions. I wish more users would realise this. As SimCoug correctly states, anyone can take the models and re-use them in other ways. But the onus shouldn't be on the creator to cover every possibility. Creators work very hard to bring people content, but can't do everything. If you want total flexibility, you'll need to learn how to use the modding tools to realise that.

Share this comment

I just pointed out a lack in his work, I didn't denigrate neither his work nor his person, so the censorship of my review isn't contemplated in the rules of the site.

I have only expressed my opinion and I don't understand why, instead of accepting it and maybe improving it, he complains first to me, giving a link that gives me reason, then to a staff member who immediately erases.

Share this comment

I just pointed out a lack in his work, I didn't denigrate neither his work nor his person, so the censorship of my review isn't contemplated in the rules of the site.

I have only expressed my opinion and I don't understand why, instead of accepting it and maybe improving it, he complains first to me, giving a link that gives me reason, then to a staff member who immediately erases.

Ahhh @vinlabsc3k, I didn't complain or ask for your review to be removed.

But understand this: while the site may encourage your voice, I certainly don't have to just roll over and accept your opinion on this or any matter that has to do with me (and I won't).

Your comment offered nothing by way of improvement, rather that because in your opinion usually sound walls are placed close to the edge of the lot so mine were therefore 'wrong' (your exact words).

Share this comment

1 hour ago, vinlabsc3k said:

To clarify, the staff determined that your review was not really fair, it was modified without a complaint being submitted. I think you will see a lot more active moderation of such reviews in future. It's a difficult balance, no one is suggesting all reviews must be rated 5 stars.

But incompleteness is not a fair way to judge the quality of someone's work. The validity of the statement "complete" can only be quantified by the creator. If their goal was to make 9 pieces/lots, it's complete. Just because you want more options or things done differently, doesn't make it right to say the work is poor or of a lesser quality.

For example, you may dislike red balloons, that doesn't mean a red balloon should be rated 3/5 because it's red. But if the balloon can't be inflated, regardless of it's colour, you can argue there is something wrong with it.

Share this comment

I gave 3 stars even for the lack of overhanging props to produce continuity over the FLUPs, Canals or whatever, but if you prefer it as is it, I will not waste any more time translating my thoughts to such a susceptible person.

Share this comment

Just to make the point more clear (and sorry for hacking a bit this space), a reasonable motive for giving a bad review on the basis of incompletitude is if the creator states something that their creation doesn't do or is. For example, you could reasonably give a 1/5 stars to my sidewalks mod if I say on its description that it changes model-baked tiles, because (even if it would be a desirable effect) it is not technically feasible.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, vinlabsc3k said:

I gave 3 stars even for the lack of overhanging props to produce continuity over the FLUPs, Canals or whatever, but if you prefer it as is it, I will not waste any more time translating my thoughts to such a susceptible person.

I highly doubt that's why you rated 3 stars, but to answer your point the 9 lots contain one left and one right overhanging lot that you can use to bridge an additional tiled gap be it "Flups, canals or whatever". It is all there in the description (which I'm assuming you didn't read) or it would have been evident if you had downloaded and used it (which I'm assuming you didn't) or was even evident if you looked at the screenshots closely.

Share this comment