5 Screenshots

About This File

Modern Sound Barriers, by Mattb325.
---------------------------------------

A set of nine sound barrier lots to grace your ground-level highways, heavy rail (etc): really, these can be placed anywhere you think noise from adjacent transport lots might be an issue for your long-suffering sims.

While there are other noise barrier lots out there, I found that some were simply too big, some were too grungy, some didn't have diagonal options and there was a distinct lack of modern-looking barriers, so I made some to suit my own taste.

These sound barriers are a modern concrete, steel and glass option.

The lots have Orthogonal, Diagonal, Orthogonal to Diagonal and Left and Right Overhanging options.

The Ortho->Diag options can be a bit fiddly to place, but you'll soon get the hang of it and to that end each lot has a custom icon to try and make the job a little easier (the standard ortho and diagonals simply have a grey line icon, while the more complex ones have a little picture as well). As a general rule, you should aim to place these lots with the curved glass top facing towards the noise (this has a cupping effect to dampen the noise beyond the wall).

They are found in the parks menu - about half way down. Now, depending on your plugins folder they may not be sequential (i.e. other park lots might appear in between) but they will be very closely positioned to each other in the menu.

As I made these for myself and designed them to be high-end, nice looking sound walls, they do have a park effect (and associated monthly cost), so if you are trying to keep your city looking grungy, don't use these.
While some of you may think that this is very un-realistic, please be mindful that you would only see these sorts of walls bordering nicer residential/commercial/industrial areas in real life, so these lots are designed to stimulate medium to high wealth growth rather than simply being neutral...unfortunately this is the way the game works and to my mind, when modding something with an in-built desirability, it should come with an associated cost.

All the lots have been made transparent (and do not suffer the water bug) so that they will blend in with your terrain.

STATS:

Lot size :                1x1 - 1x2
Plop Cost:              §40
Occupant Groups: Medium Wealth Park; Civic
Park Effect:            +15 over 15 tiles
Landmark Effect:  +20 over 10 tiles
Pollution:                 Air (-)2 over 2 tiles, Water 1 over 1 tiles, Garbage 0 over 0 tiles
Power consumed:  0 MwH
Water consumed:  5 Gallons/Month
Monthly Cost:         §5
Bulldoze Cost:        §10

NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

I've never seen a highway wall self illuminate, so there is only one model file: the day version.

DEPENDENCIES:

This file does not require external dependencies.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.

Thanks, and enjoy!

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Von F.

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Superb! Those remind me a similar set released some time ago but without diagonals. Thanks for filling the void Matt

*:thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
DavidDHetzel

While I can't say I'm familiar with the prototype of these sound barriers (Most in America are closer to the style of sound barrier deadwoods made years ago.), I really love the model you made for this! Glad to see you do something a bit more "outside the box"

*****/5

Share this review

Link to review
Tyberius06

Oh Man! It's a perfect addition. In Budapest, there are several places, where the districts and capitol transportation authorities placed similiar kind of sound barriers (glass-concrete-steel combination) mostly along side with the entrance phases of the highways to keep the noise down from the residental areas. This set is a very nice suprise, and anyway everything what is kind of new looking and moderish can come. :)

Thank you to share this.

Share this review

Link to review

Mattb325, did you create these sound barriers to cut down on the traffic noise to better hear the massive amount of applause from all of us for your continued abundance of quality uploads?  :)  Great set!  I'm glad you're still contributing to the game in all aspects and all facets.  Bravo, bravo, bravo.

Share this review

Link to review

These are really really great. One of the most complete soundwall sets available including diagonals. Even better is that they are beautiful. Thank you!

Share this review

Link to review
sejr99999

thank you   I was just surfing thru the exchanges for sound walls and now you gave us this really beautiful set of walls

Share this review

Link to review
matias93

Those are really pretty! Great colour and texture choosing, nice work with the translucency and again a very smart modding.

I'll see if I flex a bit the lotting muscle (if getting the time) to make some lots adjusted to the precise widths and heights of RHW varieties.

A larger scale project would be to make curved walls, but probably the best option would be to imitate what Vester and Simmer2 did with the roundhouse: several props with small angle changes and miniature lotting work (this last paragraph is just my passive aggressive way to ask anybody for this without asking :P )

Share this review

Link to review

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Get the best of the best from the STEX!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange. Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections