About This File
Tired of SimCity 4's puny little map sizes? Even the largest tiles are only 4x4 km, but this mod makes it possible for an even larger map size by adding a "Very Large" 8x8 km (512x512 tiles) map!
That's 4 Times bigger than the largest tile in the game and 8 times bigger than SimCity 2013's Maps!
SimCity 4 by default has 3 map sizes:
Small 1x1 km (64x64 tiles)
Medium 2x2 km (128x128 tiles)
Large 4x4 km (256x256 tiles)
This mod adds:
Very Large 8x8 km (512x512 tiles)
That is 4X larger than the largest map!
Files included in ZIP file:
-"8x8_km.dat" - Includes the larger map size option and adds "yellow" as the option in "paint" when editing.
-"Compatibility_Module" - Allows for compatibility with SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer.
-"Larger Maps.dll" - Required to allow the game to recognize the larger map sizes as tiles and allows them to load as well as allows cities to be built on them. Also makes it possible to save these larger maps.
Also includes two new songs that would make great background music to play while you build your metropolises on those nice larger maps!
No dependencies, works with SC4 Rush Hour, with or without the patches.
Please read the README first before installing!
How to Install:
1. Open the "Larger Maps Mod.zip," then copy both the "8x8_km.dat" and "Compatibility_Module" into your plugins folder. You can also copy "Compatibility_Module" into the root directory of your SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer installs for support of this mod.
2. Copy the "Larger Map.dll" into your C:/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Apps folder (Program Files (x86) if you use a 64-Bit Windows)
Also, copy the two songs from the "New Soundtrack Music" folder into C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Radio\Stations\Mayor\Music.
3. Load up the game as normal.
How to Use This Mod and Get Larger Maps:
1. On Region View panel, go and create a new region and name it as you please. Note that you'll only see the usual three map sizes. The 8x8 km map does not appear by default as THAT would require modifying the .exe file.
2. Exit game
3. Go to your Documents/SimCity 4/Regions/"Name of your new Region" created in Step 4.
4. Right click on the config file and open with paint.
5. Zoom in. You will see 3 different colors that represent the three map sizes:
Red (1x1 Pixels) Small
Green (2x2 Pixels) Medium
Blue (4x4 Pixels) Large
*Yellow (8x8 Pixels in this mod) Very Large*
You can expand the region size by clicking right down menu and expanding it down right.
6. To create 8x8 km maps, go to edit colors on Paint and select yellow. Make sure on right pane it shows as:
7. Draw it out where you want with 8x8 pixels and fill it out. (Make sure the other map sizes are whole or they'll glitch). If you want multiple
8x8 km Maps, draw more 8x8 pixel squares. Mix in other colors above for mix of map sizes. Fill the region with yellow if you want all 8x8 km maps, just make sure you have room! (32x32 pixels can fit 4 8x8 km maps). Here's an example of the 8x8 km map properly drawn out:
8. Click save and exit paint. Start-Up the game. Might take several tries to get it to work but it'll work.
9. Once the game starts, you should see your very large city tile on region view. If it's a Blank Space, just click on the space, since it'll load anyways and build away! (It'll show up on region view once you save and exit back out)
10. Enjoy your much larger space!!!
If you have any issues, please refer to the troubleshooting section in the README file.
This mod is fully compatible with Ploppable Cows and Nuclear Starbucks!
- Roads cannot be built past 4x4 km west or southward. UPDATE: Just fixed the issue and updated mod. It's possible now, but will cause clipping.
- Game will crash after a certain prop limit, and there may be prop pox on larger cities
- Saving takes a very long time (about 5-10 minutes on my PC)
BACKUP YOUR GAME BEFORE INSTALLING THIS MOD!
- God Mode mountains and valleys may clip with ground and trees after 4x4 km
- Very Large cities get very laggy
- Water may not be wet enough after 4x4 km
- The furthest zoom out isn't far enough due to very large map size
- 16x16 km was originally planned as well but would crash the game and cause an infinite loop that corrupted every hard drive in my computer and their backups (Thank goodness I backed everything up online).
- 8x8 km maps decrease the chances of that happening
- May cause little sims to colonize your living room and build tiny metropolises. This is due to the side effect of the mods
- Music may cause minor frustration
- Not compatible with my 3D Camera mod
- U drive it works but if you pass 4km, your PC may crash
- Minor clipping outside 4x4 km
- Staring at the loading screens may crash the game
- Showing emotion may crash game
- Mod is fully compatible with NAM, CAM, SPAM, SAM, SLAM, RAM, JAM, FLAM, DAM, CLAM EXAM, INSTAGRAMA-RAM and SCAM
- Taking screenshots might crash the game.
- Taking screenshots with print-screen crashes the game and your PC
- Taking screenshots with your iPhone crashes the camera, game, PC and may break a tripper and cause power outages. Samsung camera works though.
- Disasters work with no issues (in real life of course)
- Using "Obliterate City" will obliterate your city, region, and your entire game. (due to corruption)
- Game will crash if loading city while sustaining a frown in real life
- Music may cause minor frustration
- May change your whole game forever
- May cause depression
- The yellow pixels can also be drawn as 16x16 pixels for a 16x16 km map. DO NOT DO THIS. Stick with 8x8 km.
- If you do load the game with a 16x16 km map, your PC may explode. Proceed at your own risk.
PCWHIZ24 will not be held liable for any permanent corruption, loss, depression, injuries, fires, blown eardrums, FBI visits, power outages, or miniature living room colonies caused by this mod.
Aside from those minor bugs, it's still a great mod considering it's a game from 2003!
What's New in Version 1.0.0 View Changelog
No changelog available for this version.