Orion's Belt Modpack | Bigger Cities Made Easy! 2.3.0

(33 Reviews)

15 Screenshots

About This File

Have you wanted an easy way to install Project Orion and all of the mods you need to effectively use it? Have you gotten frustrated trying to make the mods you've wanted since Day 1 work? I know I have!
If you answered yes to one of those questions, you might be in for Orion's Belt, the new way to quickly set up your modded SimCity playing experience!

Introduction
Orion's Belt is an idea I came up with when observing people trying to install the group of mods related to bigger map sizes. for people had trouble with the idea of placing files into a folder. I knew I would get frustrated with trying to get into modded SimCity, so I thought I could do the community a justice and create a simple installer for the newcomers and mod enthusiasts alike.

I've recently tried to make the modpack more and more foolproof against novices.

Note: Scroll down to see how to install.

Mods Included
Project Orion by Xoxide, maintained by Yayie
This provides the basic functionality of bigger map sizes; however, this mod only changes a handful of variables and it doesn't provide the end-all be-all solution for gameplay.

UniDirectional Networks by Xoxide
These are one way roads, something the community has been asking for from day one! Highways and one-way streets are included in UDoNs, and you can unleash your mechanical creativity with traffic rules

Project Akar by Yayie
This is a UI enhancement mod, and it adds some new menus to make space for many of the essential SimCity mods people use.

Project Akar's AkarRoadSets by Yayie
You can how build in the region with AkarRoadSets, since this mod is the foundation of building in the 4K terrain with flying colors.

Project Akar's Project Avalon by Yayie
This supplies the menu strucutres for the ploppable buildings which will allow you to develop RCI outside of the 2K city tile.

Project Akar's All RCIHC Plop by Yayie, formerly Niclistin
This gives the menu items for every building, whether it is a high-density, medium-wealth skyscraper or a low-density, high-wealth mansion in-game in the menus supplied by Avalon.

Parklets by Yayie
You have the ability to make miniature parks, i.e., parklets which act like normal parks, but fit into small places in your city, and add lots of decor and textures you probably haven't noticed before!

Regional Bridges (and some tunnels) by HinataaHyuga
With this mod, you can make regional street and avenue bridges outside the 2K city tile, along with extra rail and streetcar bridge and tunnels as well.

Regional Street Tunnels by HinataaHyuga
These tunnels allow you to build regular streets outside the 2K terrain, and the best part is there are some you can build underwater!

Regional UDoN Bridge and Tunnel by HinataaHyuga
You now have the ability to tunnel above and below the terrain with UDoNs! Go crazy with underground one-way roads and regional one-way bridges!

Regional Coastline Roads by HinataaHyuga
These roads are preset at 7 meters above the water and can be used in the ocean to make your cities, or on the coast for nice coastlines to show everyone!

Regional UDoN Coastline Roads by HinataaHyuga
These do exactly what the regular coastline roads do, except with UDoNs! One-way streets, highways, and ramps are available to use

Pedestrian Path Regional Tunnels by HinataaHyuga
With this mod, and Xoxide's Pedestrian Path mod, you can build tunnels to burrow beneath the surface with sidewalks!

Coastline Pedestrian Paths by HinataaHyuga
You can build sidewalks on the coastline to get your sims walking on beaches! Build amusement parks on the beach or ocean! Go wild with your imagination!

Coastline and Waterway Tools by Xoxide
You now have the ability to define where you can plop ferry terminals and anything that plops on the coast! Redraw the hidden roads ships travel upon and 

Pedestrian Paths by Xoxide
You make make your own Central Park with this mod! Just drag a sidewalk or pedestrian path to make a concrete path sims can walk upon! Plop buildings to make walk-able shopping centers!

Regional Bulldozer by Xoxide
The Almighty Xoxide gave us a God tool like none other: a way to demolish the pre-made Maxis roads! Be careful with this one, for if you bulldoze hidden sinks which produce the agents on the regional freeway, you will crash the game.

How to Use Properly
After successfully installing the modpack, you must do four things in order to play.

• Open a city, save, quit the game, and re-open it.
  • Use regional roads outside the 2K plot
  • Understand that all 2K map resources are stretched out into the 4K map by a 2:1 ratio.
  • Understand that All RCIHC Plop will not function unless if you save, quit, and restart the game.

If you remember these things, you can avoid lots of frustration when playing with your massive 4K city tile. Just know that all of the space you can build on is always in the northwest to the original city plot. The new city tile boundary lines are wrong. Trust the camera when building.

TL;DR: Follow the list, and know that if the camera can't move past a certain part of the map, you can't build there.

How to Install
You don't have to read this, but make sure to read the README.

Windows users, please use the AUTOMATIC version. Mac users, please use the MANUAL version.

Install AUTOMATIC by

1. Launching "Orion's Belt v2.3.0 Installer.exe"
  2. Clicking "Next" until there is a place to put your SimCity install directory.
  3. Putting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity" in the box.
  4. Clicking "Next" then wait for the files to be installed.
  5. Clicking "Next" until you can exit the installer.

Install MANUAL by

1. Extracting the .zip folder named, "Orion's Belt Manual Install" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity

OR

1. Opening the .zip folder, "Orion's Belt Manual Install"
  2. Copying the folders "SimCity" and "SimCityUserData" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity

Acknowledgements
I dually thank Yayie, Xoxide, HyugaHinataa, and all of the other contributors to SUGC and the mods they have produced. We have fostered in a new era of modding in SimCity, and I am proud to make it just a little bit easier for users to enjoy.

I would like to thank Markusloo, known as chappers on Simtropolis, for the photo used on the STEX. That man can sure make a city.

I also thank you, the user, for giving purpose to this simple modpack designed to make your life easier. :)

What's New 2.3.0

Released

• Minor: Improved Installer (Misc changes)
  • Minor: Revised README
  • Minor: Version update for HinataaHyuga's regional UDoN bridges and tunnels.
  • Minor: New city images from Markusloo (chappers)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I read through and searched but I couldnt find why after setting up and playing a city, then reentering the city the next day all my roads are not "there". I cant connect to them I cant bulldoze them and all the RCI that was connected to them start getting the "no connection" symbol above them. Not sure what is going on.

It would be nice if you gave a bit more detail in your description of your problem, such as if you were building in the Project Orion build area (the 4K box) or in your regular city tile.

For the time being, I would suggest a reinstall of the modpack by using the uninstaller in your SimCityData folder named "Uninstall Orion's Belt" and re-downloading the pack and reinstalling it.

Hey everyone!  I'm trying to understand the difference between this pack and the Orion's Belt Mod pack. can anyone briefly break it down form me? Also, how can I get these on Mac? Please help! I'd like to get the bigger map sizes 

This is the Orion's Belt Modpack. If you download the modpack, or even bothered to read the description, you would clearly see that there is an option for Mac users.

If you're still puzzled over the difference between Orion's Belt and Project Orion, this is a modpack with the basic mods, including Project Akar and others, to build in the region, but the other is a single mod which makes the city boundary bigger.

I've followed the instructions carefully, is there a specific folder to drop the mod files into? I drop them into the SimcityData folder for mac

You should be extracting the "MANUAL INSTALLATION (For Mac Users as well).zip" folder into your base \SimCity\ folder, or you can copy the files from the folders in the manual installation folder into your SimCityData or SimCityUserData\Packages folders.

Thanks... I've extracted the files in the places you've mentioned but there is no change in gameplay. Like the mods have not been introduced to the program at all. Thoughts?

Share this comment

I am having a problem using this mod as well, I try to plop RCIHC and it says "Must place on a plop point" no matter where I put it and it's apparent that there are no plop points visible.

Share this comment

Are there any step by step installation with pictures I know I did everything right like it was said in the read me but I still havnt seen anything different after I followed the steps

Share this comment

Hi!

I'm new in this forum and I come from Germany. I have the German download version of Sim City 2013. For some days now I tried to install this mod to finally build outside the boundary. Well, it doesn't work. I followed your install instructions exactly. When I open the saved game again, I can not find the Regional Roads in the Roads menu, which are necessary to build outside the boundary, which I read in one post here. Really don't know why. I'm more than frustrated now. Can somebody help me?

Share this comment

Help please. Building a regional road, but I see them just out of town from which built. I go into the neighboring towns and nothing.

That is the city-2 does not see regional roads constructed city-1. How to connect the tunnels ...

Sorry for the clumsy English.

Share this comment

Hello, i'm new to this modding i just just want bigger maps so bear with me.

I'm on a mac and manual copied and pasted everything into the correct folders, i can build roads outside the original boundary but cannot put anything else such as zones and buildings etc. 

Cheers

Share this comment

Hi your mod pack looks fantastic. I have tried to install it on my macbook but each attempt has been unsuccessful. The pathway you have listed does not appear on my system. I have right clicked on SC2013 app and opened SimCity folder- I tried placing both files there, I have gone a step further opening the contents folder and dropping both files there- nothing- 1 step further still opening resources folder and placing the files there- again nothing and the final step of opening SimCity data folder and placing there- again nothing appears in the game. I have closed the game down re-opened, claimed a city, saved, closed the game, rebooted it reopened the city but nothing I do seems to work. I'm obviously incredibly stupid and there must be a simple solution that I'm just not seeing! Any suggestions to solve the problem? All help appreciated!

Share this comment

Love the idea and hard work put into this mod but have to agree with many that instructions and ability to use it are incomplete.  Followed the automatic install instructions list on the page above.  Loaded game, sandbox, etc. saved, quit closed program and went back into game.  Still vanilla mode, as if no mod was installed.  Is there a step not listed above many of us need to complete but weren't told to do?  Are there other mods I need to install along with this pack?  If so why aren't they listed?  Pretty frustrating.  If anyone has a simple answer please let me know.  Windows not Mac!

Share this comment

I downloaded the pack, and everything works great, I still have some trouble with the ramps, but I think that is as much on me as anything.

The only issue I have, and I cannot understand what happened (because I have it on a second computer and this does not happen) But, I cannot use the budget and money cheats any more, has anyone else had this issue, or know of a fix?

Thanks!

Share this comment

Hi, thanks its great, I was waiting for something like that.

The only problem that I found with the Mod is that the overlayed Coal/ore/oil Position dows not change withe the size of the map and so they are not in the spot where the maps show them. you cans see it when trying to place a mine...

if Possibble to correct it will make this mod perfect and defenetly the best mod created for this game. 

Thanks

Share this comment