ONLINE - Functional Guides beta5

(16 Reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

This is a mod that modifies guides in order to reflect the road functionality.

Edge guides always respect the road density: if you're placing a dirt road or a low density street, the edges are at a distance that lets sims build a low density building. If you're placing medium or high density roads/avenues, the edges are at the right distance to build a medium/high density building. If you place train or streetcar rails, the edge guides are near the border.

As far as road-guides are concerned, this is what happens: whatever road is already placed, if you draw a new road, you'll have the guide at the right distance to build a building on the existing road and one on the new road, both of the density of those roads.
Rails are treated like the edge of the map: if you draw any type of street near a train/streetcar rail, the guides show you the distance for one building of the right density to be built on the new road.

NO-AVENUE-ZONING VARIANT

Chose this variant and use it instead of the normal "Functional Guides" if you usually don't zone on avenues. Using this variant, avenues are treated like rails, so guides are shown at a distance where you can draw a street and build a building on the street only. The guides at the edge are near the border.

UDON AND NO-TRAFFIC-LIGHTS COMPATIBILE

Use this mod together with latest versions of UDON and Max' no-traffic-lights streets mods to have functional guides with the new streets. It tweaks snap distances so you can actually follow the new UDON guides I added. Warning: UDON elevated and transition ramps/freeway don't show guides.

If you use functional guides, but don't have those mods, only the snap distance will be lowered, so you shouldn't have problems when playing online (tell us if you have).

I need you to test with other mods to show incompatibilities and needs. Of course it is incompatible with other guide mods.

What's New in Version beta5   View Changelog

Released

• beta5 release date: 2014-08-08
  • added compatibility with max' no-traffic-lights streets mod
  • removed the needs for expansions: all guides are in the same package

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm sorry but why create a mod that already exists in perfect operation : http://community.sim...oad-guides-mod/

That mod was made in April by MaxisGuillaume   so I am unsure what this mod offers that is different?

I assume the mod makes it so that, say, if you were trying to do apartments, back-to-back, with a medium-density street, it would create guides to make it perfect for that. Same with dirt roads, high-density streets, and and avenues.

Share this comment

I can do a variaton with megatower guides for high density streets and streetcar avenues.

Oh, if you would, that would come in handy too. Can you do something similar with Udon's elevated roads too, so that they are neatly next to each other?   :)

Share this comment

I added guide values for all udon new streets, but there must be something that prevents guides to show for non-ground-level streets.

I'll investigate.

Share this comment

Tip: if you want a street without buildings, use rails for the right guides, draw a little section of rails and then extend the section with the street and remove it afterwards.

Share this comment

Tip: if you want very near elevated udon freeways/ramps, first draw them with the ground path of the same type, then bulldoze all but the ends and connect them with elevated path (use transitions if needed), then bulldoze those ends as well (and transitions if you used them).

Share this comment

Hello Ciaolo.
Thank you for very interesting MODs.

By the way, there is the problem by use with other MOD.
Specifically, look at the following images.

Only "Functional Guides".
I drew a road in order of a number and in the narrow distance of guide.
http://i.imgur.com/Vj5kDoq.jpg?1

"Functional Guide" and "Roads with No Traffic Lights" by MaxvSk.(following NoTL)
Other conditions are the same as a point.
http://i.imgur.com/kxaBmy0.jpg

From this, the specifications of the NoTL road seem to be different from the normal road.
Probably I think that it is setting for "road upgrade" to NoTL road and normal road in turn.
The same problem occurred in MOD of "The Closer Road Guides Mod" by MaxisGuillaume.
Can you support the guide of the NoTL road?

Thank you in advance.

Share this comment

I can do that, I just need to do a new expansion for max' mod. I noticed that in the first screenshot, you didn't build between 1 and 3. You have space for a low density building on 1 and a med/high density building on 3.

Share this comment

Ask for compatibility with mods that create new streets you can zone on, and link to those mods! I'll edit functional guides asap!

Share this comment

I'm sorry but why create a mod that already exists in perfect operation : http://community.sim...oad-guides-mod/

That mod was made in April by MaxisGuillaume   so I am unsure what this mod offers that is different?

I'm sorry, Mechalic, but you're WRONG! Of all the other mods for guide lines, this is the ONLY one to get them all right without wasting a lick of space! Great job, Ciaolo!

It isn't completely compatible with UDON; it will work with it and not cause crashes or interference but you can't hover a UDON one way, to get correct spacing of where to draw next one, have two high density buildings in between, and not waste space. Hovering a One way street of udon (version 1.9 of UDON + akarr), you will get spacing to fit two high density buildings but also another road in between, as if you wanted to have every building interleaved by roads.

To get around this, I just delete part of the one way and draw a regular and then hover it while drawing a new regular road. I then draw the one way street off of the newly spaced, regular road and then I go back to fix the part of the one-way that I deleted to draw a regular road, to get correct grid lines.

I have tried EVERY spacing mod on here for gridlines (skyestorme, maxguillame, etc) and NONE of them can do spacing between a road and avenue while yours is perfect, saving me a lot of time to space out the roads manually (the old way of cost of dirt road between two points). If you fix it to space between the latest UDON one-ways, between themselves and regular roads, it would be perfect. Also, if you could make it space for elevated freeways to put on-ramps between, that would be HOT! :)

Ty for your work!

Share this comment

i just recently replaced skye's perfect road guide with this mod but i ran into a problem.

i did extensive testing before coming here.

when u upgrade your roads , all of the plop points disappear from that road. no matter which road > road upgrade u take .

it just doesnt have any plop points.

Share this comment

Hi. I'm kinda curious if it works offline as well. I was trying this mod offline but couldn't get the results. Whenever I place a dirt road it will always show a guide that will make it possible for one high density to go in between. It doesn't matter what road I choose it always gives me that same guide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I found the issue: Somehow it's not compatible with Max' no-traffic-lights streets mods as I thought it would or maybe it's just me? Whenever I put that mod the guidelines will return back to normal. Need help on this please. 

Share this comment

Hi. I'm kinda curious if it works offline as well. I was trying this mod offline but couldn't get the results. Whenever I place a dirt road it will always show a guide that will make it possible for one high density to go in between. It doesn't matter what road I choose it always gives me that same guide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I found the issue: Somehow it's not compatible with Max' no-traffic-lights streets mods as I thought it would or maybe it's just me? Whenever I put that mod the guidelines will return back to normal. Need help on this please. 

I encountered this one as well. I recently installed Skye Storme's SkyePack which includes the no-traffic-light mod. The fix is as follows:

The file responsible for the no-traffic-lights roads starts with: "000 - OFFLINE - Roads" (without quotes obviously)

This means the mod is loaded before this mod, which starts with: "000_functionalGuides" (I presume this the case, it could be the other way around for all I care ;)

Just rename the file for the no-traffic-lights, so it starts with: "000_OFFLINE - Roads"

(in other words: remove the spaces between "000" <-> "-" <-> "OFFLINE" and replace the "-" (dash) with a "_" (underscore))

This worked for me. I did found out that my earlier road layout did NOT work (allthough the spacing is just a few pixels off). I had to replace roads in order for the spacing to be absolutely spot-on.

For users like me, who have the SkyePack installed. Remember that this sort of edit might throw off the automatic (un)installer and will leave files behind when uninstalling the modpack or just fail at a certain point because of missing files (not likely, but I have not tested this as of yet).

Futhermore, I deleted another file related to this mod, which is the file called "0_reducedSnapDistance_ciaolo_beta2". I deleted it because it's supposed to be included in the beta5 file, which is in the latest SkyePack (3.2). Simply put: delete it if you have it in your SimCityData folder, the snapping point is reduced (afaik) as advertised.

Share this comment