NoCarsForLowWealth 1.1

(21 Reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Introduction

NoCarsForLowWealth modifies the Sim and SimCar packages and sets the number of possible sims for a Low wealth vehicle to be 0 - meaning that driving is no longer an option for low wealth sims.  They will be forced to walk, or use the tremendously hideously broken public transport system to get to their place of work.

While possible to also make Medium and High wealth sims to not take their cars, I've found through experience that this makes the game unplayable, since the sims are just too stupid to find a place to work, and you cause more problems than you solve.  Fortunately, Medium and High wealth sims aren't as many ias low wealth sims, so having their cars on the road won't be an issue.

To make this work effectively, be sure to build a bus depot close to the residential zone so that it will function, and then be able to bus sims to other parts of your city, to provide workers for your far away places like the sewage plants and garbage dumps.

I've tested this mod with a population of over 600,000 with no gridlock issues.  Pictured above is a low wealth sprawl both low density - and later, high density - and as you can see the only vehicles driving around are school busses and shuttle busses - no cars :D

This mod is for offline only. Attempting to use it online will cause rollbacks.

Instructions

Unzip the zip file, and place the Mods-Sim.package and Mods-SimCar.package into your SimCity\SimCityUserData\Packages folder.  This mod depends on the SimCity-Scripts_287520926.package, which you can copy from SimCity\SimCityUserData\EcoGame to your SimCity\SimCityUserData\Packages folder.

Restart/start your game (be sure your'e playing in offline mode first)

What's New 1.1   View Changelog

Released

• 1.0 - Initial Release after 3 months of testing.
  • 1.1 - Added another screenshot to gallery

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I did this few months back and I don't really like how it goes on my part (that's me but maybe its good for you and others), If I remember correctly, with this mod, Sim's who drive a car will walk but probably will "not taking public transport". Unlike those Sims who doesn't have car, will walk and take public transport. Use this cautiously when it comes to shoppers, students (colleges/university) and workers. As they most likely walk to its destination (regardless how far it is or how many buses you have) and may cause low jobs on certain industry.

Share this comment

I did this few months back and I don't really like how it goes on my part (that's me but maybe its good for you and others), If I remember correctly, with this mod, Sim's who drive a car will walk but probably will "not taking public transport". Unlike those Sims who doesn't have car, will walk and take public transport. Use this cautiously when it comes to shoppers, students (colleges/university) and workers. As they most likely walk to its destination (regardless how far is it or how many buses you have) and may cause low jobs on certain industry.

Agreed 100%.  If anything, this mod just highlights just how useless public transport is, hence my description.  I'm finding people taking the bus all the way to the other side of the city, and then walk home.  I'm finding people getting on a bus at one stop, getting off at the next, and then walking back to the first stop!  It's crazy.  Saying this however, I'd rather have idiots walking around everywhere than cars creating havoc and preventing my essential fire or police services from getting to where they need to be.

This mod is only suggested for people who are just fed up with traffic jams, and have not succeeded in creating the perfect road layout to prevent them.

Share this comment

hmm, idea is in the right direction, but i think instead of disabling the cars, it should half the cars and make more pedestrians, so 50% less carsm as cars are expensive and low wealth dont have much money, then increase pedestrians and mass transit travelers by 50 %

Share this comment

hmm, idea is in the right direction, but i think instead of disabling the cars, it should half the cars and make more pedestrians, so 50% less carsm as cars are expensive and low wealth dont have much money, then increase pedestrians and mass transit travelers by 50 %

Yeah I tried to make it so that you would get 10 sims per car (car pooling like clowns at a circus) but this didn't seem to work... Nice idea though :)

Share this comment

Actually, I think that if a low wealth house has 4 residents (2 people, 2 students - I just throw an example...), they will all have cars, and you will see that there are 4 cars leaving the house ! I think that you should disable the cars for students and make them take mass transit (as in real life most students will have to take the bus or the underground to the school / college / university................).

I saw that some students will take the school / highschool bus, but what about the college or the university students???? I see over 1000 cars that pull in at the uni. at the same time (morning classes, and then again at the afternoon classes...).

Share this comment

This isn't working. They still want to jump in their bastard cars. I've followed the instruction clearly.

Sometimes this game makes me want to bash my head with it's stupid traffic and moding issues.

Share this comment

This isn't working. They still want to jump in their bastard cars. I've followed the instruction clearly.

Sometimes this game makes me want to bash my head with it's stupid traffic and moding issues.

I've had a really good chuckle at your comment :D  I should point out that if you use this mod on an existing city, people who are already out in their cars will continue to use them until they get home - after which they will realise that their car keys are no longer available on the kitchen counter and will at this stage find alternate means.  Remember too that this mod has a dependency on the main script file - and again it can only be used in offline mode.

Also, I've found that switching regions or starting a new region seems to make some mods no longer applicable - I've not figured out why but the safest thing to do is to quit simcity, load it up again and open up the region you want to play.

Share this comment

Thank you for your good work. Can you do the same thing, perhaps only partially, for the medium class?

Share this comment

Thank you for your good work. Can you do the same thing, perhaps only partially, for the medium class?

Thank you for your kind comment.

Yes, I can - I am in the process of testing a new mod which affects both low class and medium class.  I test it rigorously so that I can see what problems it causes - if any.  Here is my current test city, no housing, 8 megatowers (all completed), complete with academy and 3 universities, and it's 12:14PM and very little traffic on the road.  I will probably create a new upload rather than replace this one, since this one specifically says "low wealth".

Testing Screenshots:

Spark2014-08-0716-01-45Mk7F5.jpg

Spark2014-08-0716-05-03hWC0A.jpg

Share this comment

It would be nice using this, if I can get this mod working. I tried everything, even uninstalling then reinstalling the game with only this mods on but without any success. Can some of you make my dream come true and finally have my simciity without traffic? thanks a lot for your kind help

Share this comment