Improved Railroad and Streetcar tracks

(23 Reviews)

7 Screenshots

About This File

This modification replaces original textures of SC2013 railways and streetcar tracks to textures with higher resolution. New diffuse, normal and specular maps were drawn from scratch. Grain size on textures have the correct ratio. 

I made this mod for myself, it's not the final version and it's very far from what I want to see in the result. But with this mod you will get more detailed texture for the railways and will be able to make more realistic screenshots. 

Currently I'm creating 3d-models for the railroad tracks. But at this moment SimCityPak refuses to work with export original tracks. As a result, I can't get the dimensions and parameters of the original model. I'll wait for new versions.

Known glitches: 

- One side of the double-track railway darker than the other. This is noticeable in the daytime.

Problem in the original 3D-model (not yet possible to replace it). It's UV-shape are mirrored for the second railway path. Developers in a hurry when injected transport to the game.

- When you connect your railroad to region railway intersection place appears as streetcar tracks.

This is a mistake of the original game. Requires fix.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I like them actually a lot but it seems like the gravel ones get lost due to the nature of the game.  You may want to add a little more shine to the metal and give it a little more contrast.

to bad they can't really be raised up more from the gravel

the track just seems to be getting lost in the gravel to me .. but again I do like them a lot..

course that may also be why maxis chose white rocks as if it was clean track not real track.

Edit: One thing I wish the community could do would be make realistic rail in the game with full loops and junctions etc.  However without core changes teleportation will always be used rather than making full loops or trips along rail.

Share this comment

I really like the higher quality textures, however I agree with xoxide about the rails. I too think the rails should have more of a shine on them ( the only exception would be if it was not to be used as a main line - is it possible to have two separate textures for the track? (one for the mainlines, and the other for the secondary lines) - just a thought.

(also I wonder if it is possible to design a second texture (with concrete railroad ties, instead of the wooden ones) in case someone wants to interchange the designs (depending on the location(s).

Overall though, this looks really good though.

:)

Share this comment

I like them actually a lot but it seems like the gravel ones get lost due to the nature of the game.  You may want to add a little more shine to the metal and give it a little more contrast.

to bad they can't really be raised up more from the gravel

the track just seems to be getting lost in the gravel to me .. but again I do like them a lot..

course that may also be why maxis chose white rocks as if it was clean track not real track.

Edit: One thing I wish the community could do would be make realistic rail in the game with full loops and junctions etc.  However without core changes teleportation will always be used rather than making full loops or trips along rail.

agree..

Share this comment

@jim I do not think it is possible the game doesn't have main or aux lines.  As is many of us have tried to think of ways to make train yards using what we have.  We think offline we could make Train Decorations but they for most part would be non functional.

Heck we have yet to really figure out animations to even add rail road crossings that function like real ones even if they were to just BLINK let alone crossing gates.

but as I wrote in private.. and public I like the new textures and its nice to see someone give rail more TLC.  Many of us are train and road people haha.

Share this comment

Thank you for your feedback. Agrees with your opinion. To get a good quality for the railroad I need to change at least the existing tiles of railway. I want to get the opportunity to import my model in the game. But now it's not yet possible particular for the railroad (SimCityPak 0.3.1.0). At result my mesh has the wrong size. To get 1:1 size I need to export the Maxis mesh to Maya.

What I want to get with textures only and extra low polycount:

2s6aupu.jpg

This is possible in the SC2013 with new 3D mesh only (texture pack: dif+nm+spec 512x512 for all railway tiles).

Share this comment

@captain the person whom could answer your question would have been ryan and Christian at maxis whom were involved in much of the rail and graphics mapping.

if you post a message on reddit to @ryani he may see it and be able to help you with your specific question on bmps and colors to the pallets and how to make what your trying to do work better from your other post.

your above picture has white rocks with some oiling obviously on the timbers which are more blackened rust on the untouched metal sides giving a reflective brown to the soil and timbers.

but those have the advantage of being true 3D shapes vs the limitations you are faced in the game being more of just a flat texture.  Idea would be maybe a texture and an approach maybe like oppie with the overhead wires? add a non used 3D model to the shape but then you will get into all sorts of weirdness on the curves and blends most likely.

Not sure how to approach that myself.  I have 3DS 2015 and found that I can't export correctly to work with oppies practices whom is using 3DS 2013.  We need more tool sets :(

Jeff

Share this comment

The thing is that I have some problems with communication due to insufficient knowledge of English. And in such technical things I would like to offer support by 3D-models and textures, but for import/export I would be pleased to accept help from an experienced person if it is indeed possible.

Share this comment

pvt sent to maxis on subject to see if I can get an answer to help anyone interested pointed in the direction needed on some of the above questions mentioned

Share this comment

I love the textures of this rail gives a more realistic feel than the maxis textures. but I would like to see on day animated railway crossing gates instead of traffic lights doesn't have the realistic feeling needed. But love it.

Share this comment

"improvement" - talk about the resolution and texture quality. Visually, I could not obtain the desired result without changing the 3D-model. 

Old:

sno12v.jpg

New:

t4vlw0.jpg

Share this comment