Offline-Only Mod: “Coastline & Waterways Tools” 1.1

(53 Reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

This mod adds a new set of Coastline and Waterways path and tools.  These paths can be used to place the trade port's docs or ferry docs where ever you want.  They are most practical when used in conjunction with mods that let you change where the water graphics are (ie Sky Storm's Regional Freeway Mod) and you want the functionality to match.

The coastline paths are needed to be drawn from left to right when looking towards the land.  This is to ensure proper orientation to the docks.

7/7/2014 - Version 1.1 has incorporated our new Icons and images into our mod to make the game easier and more similar to the unification of graphics and style to be that of Maxis and the original game look and feel.  Thank you Banwashere (Ban) for the hard work and dedication for becoming our community artist and champion of our new identity and graphic art on this subject and with all our mods that have been released and our future release to the community.  These will be added to Akar and each individual mod as are required and represent the3 first update of many in a series that will unify mods and our interfaces.  We are very happy to have him on board and the quality that his talents will bring to our mod community and in general to our future developments

THe waterways paths need to be connected to the regional path that's located outside the city in order to bring the boat traffic.  These paths come in 2 flavors, a narrow, 80 meter path and with one boat lane going each direction and the wide, 100 meter path which two boat lanes going each direction (so two boats can go on it side by side passing each other)

the coast line paths will show as wide green lines while the coast line tool is active, and so will the waterways paths when the waterways tools are active.  You need to make sure that the greens for the coastlines and the waterways don't intersect or you won't be able to place docs on the coastline.

To install this mode extract the rar into your simcitydata folder.

NOTE  / TIP.. There are routes always in place already when you are on any map with water that exists.  Is not always seen in the map your actually editing but can and is there outside the map area.   These Waterways act as visual guides and route guides for the ships and boats.  They are more visual than anything however to impact and have value for trade and visitors.

You must connect to these routes that pre exist just like you would a regional road or else traffic would and will not flow down the path you create for these new routes.

As demonstrated by someone already you will notice that the boats do not care if you are on LAND or WATER they will go under ground if needed to get to a port if you plop one.  Visually its not what we want but functionally its very much what everyone wants in some ways. 

Water is not always where you want it and neither are plop points for ports and other such harbors. 

We are working on better ways to create waterways that will allow a more realistic perspective of water as you plop ports and docks.

What's New in Version 1.1

Released

• 1.1 - Update to Icons.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

xoxide

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
DustyAmy

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
red467

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Kadorna

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Xyrox

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
grpm

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
bkcdxx

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
chio3846

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
clcharle

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
asher31

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
noerha

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
momocan

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
  • STEX Featured

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Similar Content

• By Bad Peanut
      Hey guys! so with the hint of a road modding tool in the next DLC arriving, and presuming it's something like Network Extensions let's discuss what roads would be cool to add!

I've looked at the source code of Network Extensions and I've looked at their textures etc so I want to make a start at creating textures for roads. for that i need suggestions! 
      Rules: 
      Use https://streetmix.net/new to visualise your road. I won't even consider ones that are just some random description For roads you want to zone on: use either 16m wide roads or 32m wide roads as those are the two widths that work with zoning. For highways you can use any width lanes for cars, trams, buses etc should be 3m in width. parking should be 2m wide sidewalks should be at least 2m wide (maybe 1.5m at the smallest) and this is for either side of the road, so at least 4m of sidewalk altogether! try and keep in mind that it's not about creating new types of prefabs like MOM, it's for reskinning like we do with Network Skins! Here's some examples of Vanilla Roads visualised in StreetMix
      a 16m Wide Basic Road:

And a 32m Wide Medium Road

You can click on the above links to be taken to a template in streetmix.
      Give me inspiration!
    • By FeTheC
      ok ok, so know that I wouldn't use ''one of the best'' lightly, especially for this community, but I'm rather convinced that should this mod be created it may just bring a whole new aspect to the game and it is one that might just be nearing as good as a mod for larger City tile numbers (which ironically is how I came across simtropolis, anyone else remember the mod whcih finally let us build bigger cities?  )

So my thought is this. A mod which causes time to run simultaneously accross all cities in a Region. The only way I imagine this would realistically be possible in a relatively simple manner is this... It doesn't actually happen simultaneously, but rather the mod just keeps track of time passed while in one City, and when one saves and Exits this value is kept track of and upon entering the next City that value for amount of time passed while in the other City is the amount of time the City runs before one can do anything to interfere! so basically one spends, let'S say, 2 years (730 days) in City 1A and then saves and Exits.

scratch that above kinda, i just realized, it would actually Need to Keep track of not time passed, but rather the date, or some value like that. I might think of exactly how later but basically it would Need to be done in a manner which accomodates the fact that one might pass 2 years in City 1 another 2 months in City 2 and then 3 months in City 3 and all that time will Need to add up and be passed upon entering City 4.

but basically, like i said, there Ends up being an amount of time for which the City one just entered will run, before one can interfere (pause Option off, you got News? it'S gonna be treated as though ignored. The landfill filled up? too bad you can build more once the time has passed. Oh no your Budget suddenly went down due to a powershortage because ur landfill is empty and chaos errupted and ur about to go bankrupt causing all your neighboring deals to no longer be in effect? you're gonna have to watch it happen  )  The only Thing which would Need to be implemented is either a way for available firetrucks to be sent out automatially, or fires still causing the game to pause and allowing one to send out firetrucks- but you wont be able to build a firestation so ya better have enough)

so while time passing might nt be a big deal for an empty or unstarted City, It will get more and more difficult the more built up the Region is since all the cities will Need to be in a state which causes them not to ''go to hell'' so to speak, for Long enough. One can still build across all of them since while paused no time passes for any
      the other Thing i just realized, is this...(just a lil note here, I came across this idea while htinkin about how neighboring deals can easily be abused--i know i know, if one is willing to do that one might as well use a Money cheat simply-- but anyways) So the other aspect is that if possible, there should be a value for how Long one can continue to do something, or to what extent. What i mean is this...lets say you got a landfill and ur gettin garbage shipped to you, well, there is an amount of garbage which will come in at a certain rate, and the landfill will fill up (or maybe u got a WTE plant so it stays the same). So there is still an amount of garbage space left, which would Change though relative to how the neighboring cities' Situation changes and it would be nice if These values could be applied (i.e if i spend 10 years in City 2 which is sending garbage to City 3 and after 8 years at the current rate City 3's landfill is full then the deal Auto cancels at that Point--after which one can notice this and go to the other City)...idk im not tryna think more about how right now, but ill prolly touch on this later again.

for now I'm just interested in the Responses.
      P.S
      (I'm fairly newish to sc4 though sc2k n 3k were some of the first vid games i ever played) and I have as good as no actual modding experience
    • By FeTheC
      So I'm fairly (re)New to SC4, and have just about no Modding experience (mentioning this aforehand since what i say might Show this anyway).
      I was thinking it might be cool (once I am more experienced) to have a mod which causes Pollution to spread from City to City.
       We all know that one can just plop a coal factory in the Corner of the map and not have to worry about the neighboring City being polluted by it.
      My idea/thoughts around the idea is, well, as i stated, this mod would cause it to be noticable that something like a coal plant is on the edge, or whatever form of Pollution (holy sh** a nuclear melt down would now be insanely devestating) which is being caused by whatever would also spread from the neighboring city.

So I'm not too familiar with exactly how it is coded but, I'm fairly certain that a part of the coding must define the current Level (value) of Pollution in an area, and that in the same manner which the Charts Show an incline or decline in Level of Pollution, it would be fairly simple to determine the average rate of Change (i.e is there a steady increase/decrease?). These two values could then be used, lets say values are CP=current pulltion and PR=Pollution Rate (e.g + .00001%CP/Day), oh and i just realized a third value would be Need, call it PT=Pollution Type (e.g Water,Air,Radiation, etc). These values could be used per edge tile (i.e the mod only Needs to determin what the CP and PR of each PT for the outter most tiles is) and then noted and applied to the neighboring cities edge tile (my thought is since a neighboring deal will Auto cancel if the neighbor no longer has water or power this should be possible).  

(ok, lemme just say im gonna tlk about it as though it were simple, but know that im assuming it's not)
      Ok, then, in the same way, perhaps even using the same function or method, in which a Connection to neighboring cities is made for/by roads, pipes, electricity etc. one can have an Automatically recognized Connection on every tile (idk if this would require too much processing power, but if so it could be reduced by having an Auto Connection be per every 10 or 20 tiles and then having the inbetweens just be averaged out) and through this Connection in the same way traffic Comes across so will Pollution. So we would have a Connection per tile (imagine a street or pipe Connection on every tile except instead of a street, an invisible one) for every PT, and then (CP value of neighbor x PR value of neighbor)/(CP value of current City x PR value of current City) would travel across in the same manner in which traffic does. So instead of car traffic it would now be Pollution traffic, and instead of visible (e.g street or electric pole) Connections there would invisible but noticable Pollution connections

Now, I'm not sure if it might useful should one attempt this endeavour to use some aspect of the neighboring deals function (I'm just thinkin bout how, if one makes a lot of Progress in one City or lets say raises a huge mountain to block all the Pollution then in the same way which neighboring deals only work so Long as the others continue to have the abilitiy to provide it, this part can be used to apply the Change in CP,n PR to the neighboring cities)

and ooooooooooooooooooomg i just thought of a really cool possible mod which mioght already exist so im gonna have to search for it first, but! lemme know what yall think!
    • By velrox
      so, I installed BadPenaut's roads, including Narrow Roads Pack and Suburban Streets. When I open the game and access the Content Manager, I don't see the assets I installed. I tried putting the .crp files, moving them to Mods and back but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?
      Also, I enabled Network Extensions 2 and New Roads for Next, but the new roads don't appear for me.
    • By Acc3ssViolation

Vehicle Effects is a mod I've been working on that allows some more effects to be added to vehicles via xml files, while also adding a couple of custom effects. This way we can have steam trains that have steam, propeller planes that don't sound like jets and probably many more things that look and sound like they should. Some features are still being added, but the mod can be found here!
      Current features
      Create custom sound effects via xml. Editor for creating definition files in the Asset Editor. Allows new effects to be added to vehicles. Allows replacement and removal of existing effects on a vehicle. 'wrapper' effect used to position other effects. 3 new engine sound effects, one steam, one diesel, one wheel noise. 1 new particle effect for steam exhausts on trains and boats. 1 new particle effect for diesel engine exhausts. 1 new small spot light effect with daytime visibility. MultiEffects via config to create alternating/timed effects. Propeller sound effect for planes. Planned features
      Update editor to support custom MultiEffects. Add better location preview for wrapped effects in editor. Video
      Video showing some particle, sound and light effects.
      Links

Workshop page
      GitHub page

If anyone has ideas, suggestions or problems concerning this mod, please leave a comment below!

Season's Greetings!

xmas popup.jpg

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections