The Purple Line in Industrial Tech Map ModThe Purple Line in Industrial Tech Map Mod 1.1

(19 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

his Mod takes the pink and purple lines that go from colleges and universities and directs them to factories and certain power plants that appear in the Industrial Tech Map. This is helpful to predict which factories are going to get skill first, and which ones are going to upgrade next.

In the code, these type of lines are called “pipe overlays”, as they are a visualization definition for agents that use the “pipe” handler. Adding the line that goes from the college to medium tech factories, and the line from the university to high tech factories was straightforward. I added a new property array listing them in the data map file and that took care of it.

The other lines were a little more complex to get working. First I had to create new pipe overlay files for the lines coming from the college and university to the lower tech factories, and to power plants by copying the original pipe overlay files. Then I made these new overlay files point to their correct pipe sinks. Finally, I added references to the new files in the same array as the original overlay files in the data map file so they all show up in game and provide context as designed.

What's New in Version 1.1

Released

• Reposted with informative data

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

where to place this file?

Installation of mods is super easy - and the information is out there, if you do some simple searching. Here's the quick and dirty:

• 1. Mods will likely come compressed (.RAR and .7z are most common). You need a decompressing program such as 7zip or WinRAR to extract the mod files.
  • 2. Once decompressed, you should see a ".package" file. That's your mod.
  • 3. On Windows systems, navigate to: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/SimCity/SimCityData" (your path may vary, depending on installation preferences and drive paths). Backup (copy and paste) that folder to a safe location, or change the folder's name to something like "SimCityData (OLD)". This will save you a reinstall if you screw up royally.
  • 4. Then, copy the ".package" file into that folder ("C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/SimCity/SimCityData"). I don't have a Mac, so I don't know what the pathing would be, but I'd assume you should still have an "Origin Games" folder. Start there.
  • 5. Launch your game and play!

As with any mods for any game, it's advised that you install them one at a time and test between installations. If you install multiple mods at once, and something screws up, it's much harder to determine where the problem is.

Share this comment

I've tried placing this in SimCity/SimCityData as well as SimCity/SimCityUserData/Packages.  It isn't working for me in either location.   :(

Edit: Never mind!  I figured out how to pull it up!

For anyone else having trouble with it, you need to click on the Education panel at the same time you have the Industrial Tech Map pulled up.  If don't have the Education panel pulled up (where you can plop the various Education buildings) you won't see the line(s).

Share this comment