• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#1 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Introduction

I've had many requests to make Q1, so I've decided to take up the challenge.

The reason for a new thread is, well 2 reasons...

1) My other BAT thread is for Melbourne BATs, Q1 is located in Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast in Queensland ;)

2) Mainly I want to try something suggested by SkyscraperTowerBuilding:

Normally BAT threads are where BATers make stuff, then post the results. What I want to do in this BAT thread is show you the behind-the-scenes-making-of Q1. But I don't just want to show case my amateurish, clumsy, inefficient modelling techniques, I'd like very much if other BATers can follow along and where they have suggestions on how to do something better, or differently, it would be great if you could chip in, I think it could be a great opportunity to learn off each other and do something a bit more interactive and informative.

On with it...

I always start my BATs with a Prototype. A prototype is just a very basic version of the model. What this allows me to do is plan out what the BAT will look like in-game, mainly with respect to lot sizes. The Q1 prototype is a little bit more advanced than I would normally make, here's what we're making:

uz9x.jpg

i hope you enjoy following along...

#2 Toothless Stitch

Toothless Stitch
  • LocationNear Hamburg, Germany
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

Thank you for taking this challenge and my request pm is comming to something else I want to tell you about ;)!

Btw, this is what I had when I cancelled the project!

010bbbf9e1b5c980da278c16947356a7.jpg

Programmes I use:

53bd1e4eedb215d15ee454581e41a9a0.jpgfaed0bf7fd7009fe2199237c8ccec9c5.jpg

Check out my name history to find out who I really am

"Meega Nala Quista!"

- Stitch/Experiment 626 -

#3 T Wrecks

T Wrecks
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

"Prototype", eh? Some would start texturing at this stage.  :D

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice // If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill // I will choose a path that's clear - I will choose free will

#4 RepublicMaster

RepublicMaster
  • No, just no.
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I look forward to the project, this is the only BAT project that I have actually been too! :D

I'll be back one day.

#5 Darknono35

Darknono35
  • LocationSaint Malo, France
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hehehe :D it looks already fantastic :)
Good job my friend and keep it up ;)

9cbb2f0e57ead80938888574ee24e3e2.jpg

NYBT / USA BUILDINGS / CBT

#6 ROFLyoshi

ROFLyoshi
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

I look forward to the project, this is the only BAT project that I have actually been to! :D

On the contrary, this is about the only BAT project I HAVEN'T been to. ;)

tumblr_mooloiVF3W1rcw94uo1_400.jpgtumblr_mooloiVF3W1rcw94uo2_400.jpg
Follow my Sim City themed Tumblr blog here!

http://yoshisplayground.tumblr.com/

#7 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Btw, this is what I had when I cancelled the project!

That was looking really good, why did you stop?

I look forward to the project, this is the only BAT project that I have actually been too! :D

That means you have photos to share?? :party: ;)

#8 __A

__A
  • Foot Soldier

• 367 posts
  • LocationZaofu, Earth KINGDOM
Awards

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Having stayed at Q1 twice, I really look forward to this being completed!

Walk.gif

#9 Ace❤

Ace❤
  • LocationOoltewah, TN

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

I agree with T Wrecks :lol:. That's one heck of a prototype. Glad to see you're attempting this building :D

I really like the interactive aspect of this that you've got going on. And for the record, for noobs like myself, your "amateurish, clumsy, inefficient modelling techniques" may actually be quite helpful, so don't hesitate to post them ;)

2wl4.png

Former Username: 10000000000000

"Ever wonder why the Yankees always win every game they play? The other team can't stop looking at the pinstripes."

#10 urielgarcia

urielgarcia
  • LocationOrange Walk Town, Belize

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's a great challenge Reddonquixote - you're already a master batter so I'll wait for another of your masterpieces..   :thumb:

#11 dubaidude303

dubaidude303
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky, USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is gonna be great! :)

The Future is Now... -dubaidude303

#12 B.C builder

B.C builder
  • LocationSomewhere in France

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

It looks very cool, can't wait to follow the progress of that building !

"Il vient une heure ou protester ne suffit plus: après la philosophie, il faut l'action." V.Hugo

Have a look to my new CJ: At the edge of nothigness-G.T canyon

Vistit my old CJ: New Simtown

***The Star spangled banner***

#13 Roger51

Roger51
  • prodigaldreaming
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Woah a whole new project and new thread!!! Great stuff. Really looking forward to the base of the building, while I love the tower, the base is fantastic :D 

Good luck with the project and I will definitely be keeping track of this thread! 

#14 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the support everyone. Here's the next update.

Research

Sounds obvious, but to make a good BAT you need to do good research. Particularly when you're not familiar with the building and/or the building is quite complex. Both is the case for me for Q1.

I always start with a map. Google maps is good because it also has a building footprint on it which is very useful, and of course in Google Earth you can use the measuring tool to get the lot's dimensions.

hh29.jpg

And the same thing again, in aerial view:

04kn.jpg

Here's where I spot the first complexity. The lot is not square. It's pretty close though so it shouldn't be too much of a problem down the track. I will need to make a decision at some point how much of the complex I'm going to include in the BAT.

Using Google Earth measuring tool, I find the lot is about 96mX190m. (the North and South boundaries are different lengths, 190m is the longest side). Divided by 16, the game lot should therefore be 6 tiles by 12 tiles.

Next I measured around the building footprint just to get some idea about the buildings dimensions. This is pretty rough though. On a normal square building you can do this much more easily in Google Earth using the measuring tool again. This I composited in photoshop:

pvmk.jpg

Not being familiar with the building's shape, I have difficulty trying to picture how the footprint translates into the skyscraper. In Bing maps, I find a building footprint which is much more stylised and extremely useful. I can overlay the stylised image over the top of the aerial photograph and I can see how the building fits with its footprint.

p91s.jpg

evpm.jpg

While I'm in Bing, I view the building from all four sides. Obviously extremely useful given SC4 is also viewed on 4 sides, and the viewing angle isn't dissimilar either. About 80% of my reference points are done from Bing. Here's Q1 composited from Bing images:

(I've shrunk this right down, the actual image is over 3500 pixels wide and 6MB)

pb46.jpg

Now if they could just knock down those other buildings so I can get an unobstructed view :P .. its pretty good though!

Next I go into Google Street view and do a few laps around the block, scouting for details that eluded me from the air. This is important, the way things look from the air can be vastly different from the ground. Neither is always right. You need to check details from different angles, different times of the day to get clarity. Here's some views from the street:

bstt.jpg

Probably one of the best references if you're lucky enough to find them are achitectural drawings.

35fb.jpg

jnui.jpg

That's it, I think I'm ready to start making a prototype :thumb:

#15 City_Master

City_Master
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

This is exciting! Great to see how you research a building, might inspire more people to do the same and create more buildings! :P

Once you release the Q1, you could make this thread for all your projects outside of Melbourne if you're planning to do any. 

Can't wait for this release Red! :D

#16 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Prototype

I'm going to base my prototype on the stylised footprint image. Because the building is diagionally placed, its going to be hard to model like that, so I'm going to reorient the image so its upright. Fyi, I use 3DS Max 2010.

4ze6.jpg

Then I'm going to import the image into the 'top' viewport. You do this by pressing Alt-B, locating the image in Files, then setting to 'Match Bitmap' and 'Lock Zoom/Pan'

nh02.jpg

Once I have the image displaying in the top viewport, I trace the outline using the line tool under Splines

73uh.jpg

It should look something like this:

ixso.jpg

I then convert the splines to editable Poly polygons. That's for each of the splines selected, in the modify panel rightclick>editable poly

e4bo.jpg

Just jumping ahead a couple of steps, I can see from my references those triangular buildings are two-story. I select the polgons and extrude them, 12m x2. 12m is obviously very high, but this is just a prototype, and the footprint image is actually massively overscaled. 12m floor looks visually about right proportionate to the building footprint. It doesn't really matter though at this stage.

dfvq.jpg

ojdi.jpg

Now, doing a bit of scouting around Google Street view I see there is another structure along side the building that wasn't included in the footprint image. I use basic geometry, scale, and rotation to place these into approximate position, cross-referencing against the aerial photographs.

5plv.jpg

Again, moving around to the other side of the building, I see that the gaps between the buildings are arcade entrances. One of the gaps is too narrow, so I need to reposition the pieces slightly. I then add on some of the upper pieces.

x2cl.jpg

Now here's where making a prototype comes in handy. I use this process to work out complex shapes like the concentric rings, their positioning and the manner in which they wrap around the building. Its true I can work this out on the real model, but this allows me to rough them in and see in advance the types of challenges I'm likely to face when I model them properly. For these, I used a circle spline, which I enabled rendering. I could have probably just have easily used a tube.. but I didn't.

8pm4.jpg

I then used soft selection to mould them into a tear-drop shape. I converted to an editable poly again and deleted the sections of the circle I didn't want. I end up with something that looks suspiciously like the milennium falcon :P

v7gt.jpg

Here you can see there are 4 rings. I will soon discover, and add on, a 5th ring which I had missed. Again, this is why I find the prototype so useful. These are mistakes I don't mind making when I'm throwing rough shapes together. Oh, one other thing, I didn't recreate these rings everytime, I just copied and rescaled the first one I made.

For the next bit, I add on some of the driveway pieces. Here I realise this is actually a really good building to do this project with, there's a bit of everything - Glass, pool water, foilage, complex shapes.. and here we have a sunken driveway :)

ammw.jpg

Nothing very interesting here, this is just starting the base of the tower. I took a copy of the tower footprint, raised one to 24m, and the ground level one I extruded 24m, and scaled the top polygon outwards so it has a tapered shape.

x6mx.jpg

For anyone who likes skyscrapers, this is the best bit, making the tower. I know from the references there are two layers per floor, a glass layer and a floor/ceiling layer, and I also know the glass layer is taller than the floor ceiling layer. I probably didn't get these proportions right in respect to one another, but that's not too important for the prototype. To help with my sanity, I made the glass layer light blue and the floor layer dark blue. That way when I get to the top I don't get confused whether its a floor or a window, and miss one. I make the floor 8m and the glass layer 12m. There are 57 floors before the first set of balconies. I replicate the 2 layers using the Array tool.

Tools>Array

ys66.jpg

I find the preview button really useful to see what the result is, to make sure you have the right numbers in all the right boxes. For example, the x-y-z parameters can change depending on which viewport is active. You might think you're going up but you go sideways instead!

vsxt.jpg

Now, we're nearly there only a couple more steps to go, but here's where it all starts to get hard, and go wrong. Now that I've worked it out (and i'm not convinced I have in fact) its seems relatively straight forward. The balconies gradually recede across 3 floors until the outer wing disappears. The outline is traced with glass and steel structures forming an elegant sweeping shape up the side of the building... but this took ages to work out. Again, this is what the prototype is for, to iron these complexities out now.

8lyh.jpg

To make that little railing piece, I just used the line tool with rendering enable again, this time set to radial. Not sure if its really radial, but for this purpose is fine. I use the 'snaps toggle' set to vertices, and trace a line along each one of those corners. I then go into the side view and even them up a bit so they have a smoother gradient. This is going to need more mathematical precision in the real model.

Now I go up six more floors, and I get more balconies in a similar, but not same, style. These ones go across 4 floors, the lower balconies are rather larger, and I note there are parts of the steel structure sweeping backwards that at first glance look like they are oddly shaped apartment roofs. To add to the complexity, at the rear of the building, a small narrow overhanging facade has suddenly been added into the shape. When I make the real model, I will do this all very differently, but its good to know what I need to plan for.

zffb.jpg

Now this is the last one. Not sure there's much more to say. Once the floors extend past this point, the glass is two-story high. That's worthy to note. Modelling wise I just extend up the rest of the required floors, indenting where required. For the roof I just took a floor and scaled it on x-y axes so its smaller. Oh, the big antenna is just a cylinder that has been bevelled and extruded a few times. Then the sweeping rails were created just using the method described above, except I went right round the top of the building this time.

I also realised at this point, those two tall columns that go all the way up the rear of the building - I modelled them with the building foortprint, but its easier, and more accurate, to attach these on last.

jt0q.jpg

There you have it, the Q1 prototype. Last couple of things I need to do before export - I rescale the building to its proper size and heights, re-rotate it back to its original orientation, and scale everything up 133% as per standard BATing conventions.

shyu.jpg

I got some really good learnings out of making the prototype that should help me when I make the real thing... coming up next...

Hope you like this update :)

#17 KevinPaul06

KevinPaul06
  • KevinPaul06
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Uhhhhh I'm gonna learn a lot of things about modelling in this thread...... :D

Hockeytown_zps3212403d.jpg

"It's more than hockey"

8182 songs

Kid Rock, Carrie Underwood, Skillet and Halestorm

#18 dubaidude303

dubaidude303
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Awesome! Can't wait!

The Future is Now... -dubaidude303

#19 T Wrecks

T Wrecks
Awards

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Not only modeling, it also teaches a lot about the importance of observation, planning, and testing. Splendid thread so far! This will probably end up on the Omnibus. :)

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice // If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill // I will choose a path that's clear - I will choose free will

#20 Delecto

Delecto
  • LocationSwitzerland
Awards

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Great Thread! :thumb:

It's very interesting to see the different ways people use to reach their goals. And I agree with TWrecks, this will become an essential thread for everyone. :golly:

-My BAT Thread-   -My BATs on the STEX-

u2kl.jpg

#21 Jack_wilds

Jack_wilds
  • LocationAppleton WI

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

would that I had a copy of 3dsmax to follow along with ya... its very interesting so far :yes:

#22 KonstantinII

KonstantinII
  • LocationMars

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Please make more future buildings!

(\__/)
 (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
 (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination                    

0e50.jpg

#23 urielgarcia

urielgarcia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Wonderful.  Extremely glad that you are sharing this information. Hopefully it encourages other to start batting...There are some many desirable buildings out there and other that need an update...

Glad to here that this may stay as an essential guide on the Omnibus.

Is there a way to get a legit (not pirated) free version of 3dsmax?

#24 Ace❤

Ace❤
  • LocationOoltewah, TN

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

I've favorited this page. I've found, there are modelling techniques in here that are extremely helpful, which I was completely unaware of (such as the array tool for example!). I want to thank you for taking the time to make an easy-to follow and remarkably useful tutorial. :thumb: It'd be great if you could keep this going ^_^ (And by the way, I may even attempt to make another version of this tower along with you lol)

You want to go to here: http://students.auto...download_center

It's a free student trial for three years I believe. That's the one I'm using either way.

2wl4.png

Former Username: 10000000000000

"Ever wonder why the Yankees always win every game they play? The other team can't stop looking at the pinstripes."

#25 urielgarcia

urielgarcia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've favorited this page. I've found, there are modelling techniques in here that are extremely helpful, which I was completely unaware of (such as the array tool for example!). I want to thank you for taking the time to make an easy-to follow and remarkably useful tutorial. :thumb: It'd be great if you could keep this going ^_^ (And by the way, I may even attempt to make another version of this tower along with you lol)

You want to go to here: http://students.auto...download_center

It's a free student trial for three years I believe. That's the one I'm using either way.

Thanks Ace.  I will try to see if I can download..  I am not a student so I don't know if I qualify... :( 

#26 Xander Dax

Xander Dax
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Looks amazing already!, of course after this he will have to keep going and do other buildings from places other than melbourne  :) .

#27 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

I'm glad people are finding this useful already. Here's a small update. I did have more but I had a bit of a mishap and had to start again. :(

Basic Tower Floors

Here's how I made the first 57 floors. Its not dissimilar to how I made the prototype, but the hard part is getting all the windows in the right spots. The hardest part of that was counting the windows correctly. (Hence the first mishap I had). I think I've got it right this time.

• This time I used the architectural drawing as my base reference in the top viewport. Its more accurate, plus it has more of the complex in it. I also composited the 2nd architectural drawing over the top of it in photoshop because it had a bit more clearer detail in it.
  • As before, I have traced the outline of the tower using the line tool. I haven't converted to editable poly yet though, we need to do another step first.
  • When tracing the shape I used minimal vertex points as possible. Each straight segment is one vertex at each end, the curved segments have one extra bezier vertex somewhere alongs its edge, usually around the mid point.
  • You will also notice, I only traced half the footprint this time. The building is symetrical, and also quite complex. If I only make one side of the building, I only have to do the hard bits once, and I can make and join a mirror image once its more complete.

z1nf.jpg

Now, before I convert to an editable poly I need to insert vertices into where the windows will go. If i don't do this, 3DS Max will make its own determination where the vertices need to go, and I can pretty much guarantee it won't be where I need them!

As mentioned above, working out how many windows I need for each segment is quite difficult without really good references. Unfortunately if you don't have good references, sometimes you have to make stuff up. Luckily I managed to find these:

gk7g.jpg

s2s8.jpg

onq7.jpg

From these, I learn that at the rear of the building, there are 8 windows, a divider, 7 windows, then 8 again. I need (8+1+3.5) = 12.5 windows.

• At the front of the building, there are 4 windows, that's easy :)

Down the side was the hardest...

• There are three sections down the side, the most forward section is 15 windows.
  • The middle section is 16 windows, but one of them is a half-window.
  • The rear-most section I can't tell. From the Bing aerial images, I work out there are 16 full windows, and two half-windows at either end.

The middle image above was a good find. I can see from this image the half-windows are actually hollow bits of the structure that stick out from the main facade. I could see these in Bing but they were very blurred and I couldn't make them out properly, and I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Now that I know how many windows I need, I need to add the right number of vertices in. Basically, its one vertex on each side of each window pane. To work out the right placement, what I do is make a plane. I place it in the most perpendicular angle I can find to the curve, the size is fitted to the exact length of the curve. I then make as many length segments as I need windows.

Here's some examples of what I mean:

bfxz.jpg

tmnp.jpg

Then, where each curved line intersects with the lines on the plane, I Insert a vertex.

As I'm doing this I trace the contour of the building.

• To insert vertices, you must have the line selected first
  • Press the 'Insert' button and select the section of the line you want to insert the vertex in. Click once to grab the line and move it into place, click a second time to insert the vertex, and the third click to release.

It can be a bit tricky at first, you just need to practice a bit.

etmy.jpg

As you get to the bezier vertices, you will want to delete them. I start inserting the vertices from both ends, then when I meet in the middle, I delete the bezier vertex then. If you delete it before you have your other vertices in place you will lose the curve you made and will need to try and retrace it manually. To delete the bezier vertex, simply select it and press delete.

You should end up with something like this - the yellow dots are the vertices inserted:

viok.jpg

You can delete the planes when you're finished.

Now you can go ahead and convert to an editable poly, select and extrude the ploygon (I extruded by 10m.) It should look like this:

ome1.jpg

If you count around all the windows, they should be the right number now :thumb:

Oh, the windows at the front we can do differently, and more easily. Simply select the top and bottom edges, and use the connect tool to split the window into 2.

3hzm.jpg

Now we want to make some window frames. Depending on the building you can do this many ways. Based on the closeup images I posted above, I have chosen this method:

Strart by tracing the outline of the building (except not down the centre line). We need to use snaps toggle for this. You should check your settings first, click Tools>'Grid and Snap'>'Grid and Snap Settings'. On the Snaps tab, make sure vertices is ticked. Close the dialog and click the snaps toggle button.

23x9.jpg

2fw4.jpg

Now, using the line tool, trace along the top of the windows, stopping at each vertex. The snap tool will, well, snap you onto each one as you get close to it. Just click and keep going. If you miss any, you can use the insert method we used above, but also with snaps toggle on, it will snap them right into place.

9zbl.jpg

n340.jpg

You can see also the line has volume to it. If you remember I showed how to do this in the prototype section. These are set to 0.2m.

Now, with snaps toggle still on, select the line, press shift and drag it down to the bottom of the window. A duplicate line will snap into place:

gxq9.jpg

Now we want to make the vertical pieces. Start by hiding the liness we just created. Using the same method, trace lines down from the top of the window to the bottom of the window. After you have made the first one, stop.

Before we make the next one want to deselect 'Start new shape'. This will treat each new line as a single object even though they aren't touching. Its much easier and neater this way.

mifi.jpg

Now continue to make the rest of the vertical frames:

o5vm.jpg

Now if you rightclick>unhide all, you will see all the frames we've made.

yg5z.jpg

Now its time to make the floor/ceiling layer. Select just the window piece, not the frames, and using the array tool, copy one piece, upwards, 10m. as we know, the floor/ceiling piece is not as tall as the window, I estimate its about 1/2. So we need to shorten our newly created layer by 1/2.

1b46.jpg

Simply select the top row of vertices, and using the move tool with numeric inputs, set their z-height to 15m.

27q3.jpg

Now we can grab one of our horizontal frames from the window below and copy it up using the same method as before with the snaps toggle on.

7hlk.jpg

Now before we make any more floors, we just need to select and hide the bottom and vertical frames. We don't want to duplicate these.

dlh9.jpg

Now we select all the remaining objects, and using the array tool, we make 57 copies!

9qya.jpg

Now we unhide the frames we hid before, and using the same method as we did to lower the ceiling height, we raise the tops of the vertical frames up to the top of the top window. We can use snaps toggle again to snap them perfectly into place.

lrvc.jpg

And, well that's it for now. We have the first 57 floors! We can have a sneak peak of the final product by grouping and adding a symetry modifier. Save first. Very important!!

okv0.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this update. Please let me know if there's anything you would like covered in more detail (or if you think its too much detail!)

Until next time :)

#28 Darknono35

Darknono35
  • LocationSaint Malo, France
Awards

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Here another interesting tuto, Reddon, Thanks a lot for your work on this ;) . It's good to see how to model an building like this one. Cylinder buildings and ovals always make me afraid, and here you've explain how create windows and frames ! Thanks one more time :yes: !

I've just one question, where can we found map or plan of buildings for the background ?

9cbb2f0e57ead80938888574ee24e3e2.jpg

NYBT / USA BUILDINGS / CBT

#29 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hi Darknono - architectural plans are a rarity to be honest. To find them is just luck of the draw. I found these on google images, but I have in the past found them on dedicated architectural sites, like Emporis, or on websites marketing the building's development or realestate. It was just lucky for this project these one were available relatively easily.

#30 Reddonquixote

Reddonquixote
Awards

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Lower Terraces

This is a bit more of an exciting update. This time we're making the first of the winged terraces.

Picking up where we left off, we need to select the top most glass layer (light blue) and using the array tool, create a copy at the next story. (Dark Blue)

48o6.jpg

To make it easier to work with, select and hide everything else but the new floor.

Hollow the new floor out by selecting the top (and if necessary, bottom) polygons, and deleting them.

y2j3.jpg

I select the row of vertices at the rear of the building, and using the move tool, I slide them along the Y-axis to position them where the thick dark line on the architectural base drawing shows.

3gqu.jpg

But you can see the wing is now too thick. This isn't very precise, you will need to use your eye to line this up. or at least, that's how I did it. Basically, I used the scale tool, and scaled out along the X-axis. Then you need to reposition the whole row so that the centre line remains vertical.

89ot.jpg

You may find you have overscaled or underscaled, keep adjusting it and repositioning it until it all looks aligned again. What you're looking for is the centre line to be vertically straight, while the wing is evenly wide all the way along.

b844.jpg

Now we just want to ensure the centre line is perfectly aligned. I believe there are tools that do this, but I find this is just as easy - Select the central vertex that's at the front of the building and copy its x-coordinates from the number input field. Select the one at the rear and paste the x-coordinates. It takes longer to explain it than to do it!

m31t.jpg

t0rd.jpg

I haven't decided if this next bit is necessary yet or not.. after doing it I kind had to undo it again. I haven't got as far as working out if its going to save me some grief later, or was a complete waste of time :P

What I did here is after aligning the x-axis, I positioned the vertex along the Y-axis so its sitting on the line of the drawing. What we noticed when we dragged these down is they are curved, while the drawing shows a straight line. We're going to line them up so they are straight.

q7oi.jpg

We use the same method as when we aligned the centre vertex on the X-axis coordinates, but this time we position them evenly along the Y-Axis coordinates.

7nm8.jpg

While I was thinking of it, I just inserted a couple of extra panels into the back of the wing using the connect tool.

qr8n.jpg

Now back to the bit we straightened up, we select and extrude the first four windows, all the way to the original back of the building again.. But, now it doesn't line up anymore, the building is curved and our extruded piece is straight :(

We need to fix this, and its a very crude method. Unhide the rest of the building, and in the top view, zoom in really close and use the move tool to reposition the vertices back into alignment with the curvature of the building.

p86f.jpg

v9t8.jpg

The next step is to create a roof-duplicate of the floor. We've covered that in the previous section (hint: use the array tool, and don't forget to shorten the height by half)

Now we make another duplicate of the previous floor, using the array tool again.

4bg2.jpg

We need to create the first stepped terrace. Start by selecting the window closest to the wing.

9ec0.jpg

We do 5 negative extrudes, mine were -5m each. You can press the apply button to keep extruding, then ok when you're finished making them all. Once the extrusions are done, we need to delete the polygons at the top and bottom of the shape, and just leave the side pieces.

7mjv.jpg

We can see they have extruded in a straight line, but we need them in a curve. In the top view, select the vertices in pairs and slide them along the X-axis, manually positioning them until they follow the curvature of the wing, and are positioned in the same spots as where the windows used to be!

Now we can complete the floor by using the Cap Holes modifier. The Cap Holes modifier will basically cover any open parts of the shape with polygons. Use carefully, it doesn't work well on complex shapes with multiple holes on different planes. Luckily it does work well with open ended flat-planed objects like our building floor.

tpth.jpg

8lz2.jpg

Once you have applied the Cap Holes modifier, and you're satisified with the result, you can right click and collapse all to make it a permanent part of the object. Duplicate again, to make a ceiling layer, and again to make the next level.

I'm not going to post the next floor, its the same as the one we just did, except instead of 5 extrudes, we only need 4.

The next layer is the last layer, and we're going to use a different technique. After making the duplicate of the previous floor, we start by deleting the cap-holes polygons we made, and the two remaining pieces still attaching the wing to the main structure. We now have two separate pieces with big holes in the sides of them. We need to plug those holes up.

Using the snaps toggle, and the line tool, we trace a line around the missing windows.

e1jf.jpg

Then we convert to an editable poly - it has created a patch over the missing windows. Select the top and bottom edges of the patch, and use the connect tool to create the three windows.

1u8n.jpg

The patch is still a standalone object, we want to make it part of the existing building structure. To do this we use the attach tool.

There are two ways to use the attach tool, you can either press the large Attach button, and anything you click on with the mouse will be attached to the original object. For more precision, you can press the little square button next to it, that will bring up the name list and you can select exactly what you want to attach by name. If you use the first method, don't forget to unclick it, you will end up attaching other objects by accident!

zjjk.jpg

Once the piece is attached, you can tell because its changed to the same colour now, we need to weld the vertices. We select the four corners of the new set of windows, and we see we have 8 vertices. Select Weld to make the 8 vertices into 4.

hm9n.jpg

Use the same method to plug the hole in the back of the wing. Cap the holes and that layer is done. Dont forget to make a duplicate ceiling layer :)

We're about half way...

Now we need to unhide everything again, so we can make the window frames.

We drag a horizontal window frame from the layer below, with snaps toggle on, and pressing shift, we create a duplicate horizontal window frame snapped into correct position. But its the wrong shape!

vhgq.jpg

Withe snaps toggle still on, we drag the existing vertices one by one so they conform to the new building shape. We don't have enough of these though. To complete the action, we use the insert tool.

j9pg.jpg

wrls.jpg

We need to replicate these onto each layer. I drag one more up onto the next floor, and use the array tool for the rest.

20j1.jpg

The vertical ones I drag up from below, but only where needed.

qaqx.jpg

uah7.jpg

For the ones we couldn't drag up, we just make them new.

ea1q.jpg

Here's the really tricky bit, I saved another version before commencing on this.

Start by selecting just the new set of floors we made, the ones with the terraces, and hide anything unselected.

Select one piece, and then attach everything else to it. All objects on the screen should now be one object.

We then select only the polygons that are make up the wing.

58tu.jpg

We need to slice a diagonal line through these, in order to achieve this we need something to anchor the slice to. In the side view (Left), we create two boxes, one above the building, and one to the left of the building. They need to be positioned such that if we visualise a straight line from one box to the other, it would slices through the polygons where we need to.

qiwj.jpg

This is a little bit tricky and clumsy, we turn on the snaps toggle again, and also the Quickslice tool. We click the top-right of the lower box and hover above lower-left of the upper box (Glad we have pictures!). We only hover to check the angle. Only click once we're happy we are intersecting the pieces at the correct angle. It not, we move the two boxes up/down/left/right until we get something we're happy with. For me, I'm looking for a starting position halfway up the lowest window, and ending directly to the left of the right-most window.

69rp.jpg

We then select the polygons we want to delete, and delete them.

uwxh.jpg

This next bit is really ugly. I can't think of a better way to do it though. Basically, wee need to cap the holes in the diagonally sliced pieces, but cap holes won't work this time, its too complex.

We need to create a plane that has the same number of segments as our curved wing. Mine has 24.

zcec.jpg

In the top view, move the vertices so they roughly align to the shape of the wing, and in the side view, rotate it so it roughly aligns with the angle of the slice. If you don't do these steps, its gets really hard to do the next bit.

hp98.jpg

With snap toggles on (we're getting good at this now).. we grab each vertex and snap it to the corresponding position on the wing. Basically, we're creating a manual Cap-Hole.

s0ma.jpg

We use attach and weld to make it part of the object, and we select each of the individual polygons. We then use auto-smooth to make it look better.

u62x.jpg

We need to fill in the missing window frames:

3f0v.jpg

And now here it is... a sweeping winged, stepped, terrace :thumb:

n82o.jpg

4oa4.jpg

Phew.. that was a bit of a marathon... let me know if there is anything you want more information on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: australia, goldcoast, q1, residential

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users