• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Running SimCity 4 Deluxe on an Intel Mac

36 replies to this topic

#1 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
  • LocationWhidbey Island, WA, USA
Awards

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Using the Disc version of SC4 Deluxe on OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, for those running the App Store version, see the first note below.

Use the Universal Binary Update to allow SC4 to run on your Intel Mac.  These steps are required when running an Intel Core i5 or i7, optional on a C2D or i3

• Install XCode through the App Store (Free)
  • Run XCode
    •  For Lion and Mountain Lion
      • Open Preferences Under Xcode>Preferences
      • Click on Downloads
      • Locate and Install Instruments
      • Run Instruments (Should be in HD/Developer/Applications)
    • In Mavericks
      • Open the Xcode Menu
      • Select "Open Developer Tools", and Select "Instruments"
    • Open Preferences Under Instruments>Preferences
    • Disable Hardware Multi-Threading
    • (Optional) Reduce your processors to 2
    • For i7 users, you will likely need to disable Turbo Boost
  • Open SC4 Deluxe
  • Enjoy

Note: The NAM plugin "NetworkAddonMod_Bridges_Plugin_Controller.dat" will cause the game to freeze if the game is not paused.  As a result, when you need to build RHW, One Way, Street, or Special Bridges, you will need to pause the game, save your city, close SimCity, move the plugin back into your NAM folder, reopen, build your bridges, save, close, remove, and reopen.  It takes some time, but at least NAM 31/32 allows for double height networks, which didn't work under NAM 30.  This remains true for the App Store version.

Note: You may continue to experience occasional freezing.  This may be caused by an application contained within the Sim City 4 package.  You will simply need to locate the "Sim City 4 Rush Hour" application in the Sim City 4 folder under Applications (or wherever you placed it when you installed).  Right Click (Control-Click if you only have one button), and select "Open Package Contents".  Open the Contents folder, then Resources, and remove "APlayer".  This will disable music and sound effects, but they likely weren't functioning anyway.

If you have any questions or feed back, please leave them below.  I'm currently able to run SC4 on my MacBook Pro Retina for hours on end, with only the occasional beach ball, usually caused by Transit Lots.

It is getting harder and harder to find the Universal Binary update for Sim City 4: Deluxe, Gamer's Hell has a copy for you http://www.gamershel...oad_18916.shtml

PS - I am not running the App Store version, I am waiting for the Steam Version, in case things are different, and to see if we can get around the sandboxing requirements that Apple insists on thrusting upon developers.

Edited by TEG24601, 17 April 2014 - 04:52 PM.
Update for Mavericks and NAM32 related information, and App Store information

#2 mattheintzman

mattheintzman
  • mattheintzman
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

This might be a dumb question but once I get Xcode/Instruments installed, do I open Sim City through the finder or one of the apps?

#3 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

You open it normally.  Instruments is simply used to turn off Hyper threading.

#4 TheGermanDoctor

TheGermanDoctor
  • TheGermanDoctor
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hey,

I am running OS X Lion (to lazy to upgrade to ML) and Xcode 4.3.2 (also to lazy to upgrade to 4.6). When I click on Instruments I can change the number of cores but Multi-Threading is activated and greyed-out (!) so I can't disable it. I am using an iMac Mid 2011.

Do you have any advice? Does this happen because it is not the latest version?

#5 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

This might be a limitation of your version of XCode, as is used to be an option that you had to be a registered developer to access.

http://developer.app...141/_index.html

http://www.logicproh...php?f=5&t=88835

#6 TheGermanDoctor

TheGermanDoctor
  • TheGermanDoctor
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well I didn't have any issues with hyperthreading yet (with only 2 cores of course). SimCity 4 in Full HD Resolution is beautiful not even more "pixeled" than in the available resolutions.

Do have a fix for the scrolling problem? All the details go  (trees disappear etc.) when i scroll around. I already added my videocard to the graphics settings but it didn't really do something except some performance

#7 kingbob978

kingbob978

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm suffering a similar problem in that the option in Instruments to Disable Multi-Threading is greyed out, and unable to be unchecked.

I'm running a 3 year old iMac with 10.8.4 OS X, and the most current versions of XCode and Instruments, as I just download them tonight.  Is there anything you'd suggest?

#8 TheGermanDoctor

TheGermanDoctor
  • TheGermanDoctor
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'm suffering a similar problem in that the option in Instruments to Disable Multi-Threading is greyed out, and unable to be unchecked.

I'm running a 3 year old iMac with 10.8.4 OS X, and the most current versions of XCode and Instruments, as I just download them tonight.  Is there anything you'd suggest?

Have you reduced the number of processor cores and tried to play it anyway. I played it with multithreading on and only 2 cores and it didn't crash yet. I think I played 20 or more minutes. The only problem now is the scrolling, as I mentioned above. I hope somebody knows a fix for that. In an unofficial wiki I saw a fix for this but only for Windows as it needs the program "SC4 Launcher".

I know a way to disable multithreading ,but it is not a "on-the-fly" method. You have to open terminal type a command in and have to reboot the whole system every time you change. Not a good method.

#9 kingbob978

kingbob978

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm running a duo-processor, so it was defaulting to 2 cores anyway and not loading with a "Power PC applications are no longer supported" message.  I tried setting it to 1 core, but the same error still occurred.

Although I really have no experience in code / playing with terminal on a mac, I'm actually ok with toggling it that way and rebooting my system, and would love it if you could explain the steps / link to your source.

Thanks.

#10 TheGermanDoctor

TheGermanDoctor
  • TheGermanDoctor
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm running a duo-processor, so it was defaulting to 2 cores anyway and not loading with a "Power PC applications are no longer supported" message.  I tried setting it to 1 core, but the same error still occurred.

Although I really have no experience in code / playing with terminal on a mac, I'm actually ok with toggling it that way and rebooting my system, and would love it if you could explain the steps / link to your source.

Thanks.

You have to download the Universal Binary Patch... Just google for SimCity 4 Mac Universal patch. With this installed it should work. Make sure you delete APlayer from the SimCity app. You won't have any music then but it won't crash often

#11 kingbob978

kingbob978

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Was unable to find APlayer, but the game is loading and playing without issue so far.  Thanks a ton!

#12 TheGermanDoctor

TheGermanDoctor
  • TheGermanDoctor
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

go to your applicationsfolder, right-click on the SimCity 4 Rush Hour app, click on show packagecontent, open the contents folder, in there should be a Aplayer somewhere. Delete it

#13 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

What's the Universal Binary Update?

#14 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

The Universal Binary Update (or Patch) is an update for the Rush Hour package to allow it to run on Intel Macs.  It isn't perfect, but it allows you to run the game on OS X newer than 10.6.  You can get it at http://www.macgamefi...com/item/18397/

#15 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

The Universal Binary Update (or Patch) is an update for the Rush Hour package to allow it to run on Intel Macs.  It isn't perfect, but it allows you to run the game on OS X newer than 10.6.  You can get it at http://www.macgamefi...com/item/18397/

Thanks for that; having trouble though as it won't open as it's from an unidentified developer. Any way to override that?

Also, the instruction 'locate and install instruments' refers to which instruments? I have two submenus in the downloads tab 'Components' and 'Documentation'; iOS 6.1/iOS 6.0 under the first and a list commencing with 'Retired Documents Library' under documentation.

#16 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for that; having trouble though as it won't open as it's from an unidentified developer. Any way to override that?

Also, the instruction 'locate and install instruments' refers to which instruments? I have two submenus in the downloads tab 'Components' and 'Documentation'; iOS 6.1/iOS 6.0 under the first and a list commencing with 'Retired Documents Library' under documentation.

You need to go into System Preferences, select "Security & Privacy" select "General" then select "Anywhere".  If it is greyed out, you will need to first press the lock in the bottom left of the window, then enter your admin password for the computer.

To download Instruments, you must install "Xcode", then open Xcode's Preferences, select "Downloads", and download it.  If it doesn't give you the option, select the Xcode menu, select "Open Developer Tools", then select Instruments.  It will download if needed, or just run it otherwise.

#17 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Great, it worked. 

You need to go into System Preferences, select "Security & Privacy" select "General" then select "Anywhere".  If it is greyed out, you will need to first press the lock in the bottom left of the window, then enter your admin password for the computer.

To download Instruments, you must install "Xcode", then open Xcode's Preferences, select "Downloads", and download it.  If it doesn't give you the option, select the Xcode menu, select "Open Developer Tools", then select Instruments.  It will download if needed, or just run it otherwise.

Great thanks. It's worked (yay), although running incredibly slowly. Any way to speed this up? Also, is there any way for it to run in a window?

#18 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Okay, I've established that this isn't working. I've taken all the necessary steps including trying to reduce the processors to one... Every time I open a city it freezes. It works for about 1 or 2 seconds before I'm able to actually do anything.

#19 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Great, it worked. 

Great thanks. It's worked (yay), although running incredibly slowly. Any way to speed this up? Also, is there any way for it to run in a window?

Hold down "Option" to bring up the play options, which allows you to play in a windows (the only way I play).

As for the freezing, make sure you remove the "NetworkAddonMod_Bridges_Plugin_Controller.dat" from your NAM folder.

#20 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

I had held down o

Great, it worked. 

Hold down "Option" to bring up the play options, which allows you to play in a windows (the only way I play).

As for the freezing, make sure you remove the "NetworkAddonMod_Bridges_Plugin_Controller.dat" from your NAM folder.

I had held option, and it did bring up the play options and I ticked 'play in window', but it still loaded full screen =/

As for that file - I looked for it and couldn't find it. I couldn't find any NAM folders actually, so I thought I musn't have it installed (although I thought I did) - I've searched in Finder and can't find the Bridge file.

#21 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

In order to the Play In Window function work, you must change the resolution using the menu to a resolution lower than your screens resolution.

The Plugins should be located in your home folder under Documents/Sim City 4/Plugins, however, given that you moved it to your Applications folder, is may be there.

#22 chunkymon24490

chunkymon24490
  • LocationLeeds, EU

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

:O I think it's worked :S

#23 Billish

Billish
  • astrobill

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Alas, the colors on the Route Query tool will be wrong on any Intel Mac post-Rosetta. Aspyr forgot to change that tool's color map from Big Endian byte ordering to Little Endian (a PowerPC vs. Intel thing) when they created the Universal Binary for Mac

Luckily, I'm still on Snow Leopard, so I use Rosetta to run SimCity 4. Fixes the color bug just fine. It's actually a little weird, because I expected Rosetta to introduce other color problems while fixing the Route Querytool...but it didn't. It just fixed it.

It may have also fixed some of the other little Mac graphics bugs that Aspyr created...not sure yet. All I know is that I'm NOT upgrading that Mac to anything newer than Snow Leopard for SimCity 4 reasons alone!

#24 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

You could always load Snow Leopard into Virtual Box if you need that functionality, however, the color changes don't really bother me, as I trust the tool-tip for my information.

#25 Billish

Billish
  • astrobill

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

You could always load Snow Leopard into Virtual Box if you need that functionality, however, the color changes don't really bother me, as I trust the tool-tip for my information.

Hmm...not sure...does the "tool-tip" show you WHERE the various Sim routes begin and end?  Doesn't one need to know WHERE routes are beginning and ending in order to choose locations for bus stops, stations, tracks, roads, etc?  Pure volume information doesn't really get you that, does it?  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding which tool-tip you're referring to.  I thought the tool-tip just gives you raw volume numbers.....?

#26 ryandrums

ryandrums

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hey, I am having some problems with the installation of instruments, I think. 

I go to the Downloads tab, but I don't see anything called 'instruments' 

I did click "check and install now", because I thought that was what I had to do, and now it says it's installing 2 updates. But It doesn't seem like it's downloading, the progress bars beside the updates are not progressing at all....

help??

#27 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hey, I am having some problems with the installation of instruments, I think. 

I go to the Downloads tab, but I don't see anything called 'instruments' 

I did click "check and install now", because I thought that was what I had to do, and now it says it's installing 2 updates. But It doesn't seem like it's downloading, the progress bars beside the updates are not progressing at all....

help??

It sounds like you are running Mavericks.  By default, Instruments is now automatically downloaded with Xcode.  You should be able to find it in the "Xcode" menu, once Xcode is launched, by selecting Open Developer Tools.  Once launched, you can either keep it in the dock, or access it via Spotlight.

#28 USA Patriot

USA Patriot

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

I downloaded Xcode and followed everything I could.  I only have 2 processors and I had no option to turn Hardware Multi-Threading.

So then I went to this link to download the Universal Binary Update as an alternative. http://www.macgamefi...com/item/18397/  Sadly it doesn't exist anymore.

So what are my options?  My Mac is from 2009 and had always been able to run Sim City 4 Rush Hour at the fullest graphics capacity with no problem.  Never had any problems with the game until I updated to Maverick.  My computer went from a 10.6.8 to a 10.9.2.  I have a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (if that helps any).  I am not technical or know anything about coding, so if you can explain something, please say it in non coder speak.  

#29 TEG24601

TEG24601
  • TEG24601
Awards

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I downloaded Xcode and followed everything I could.  I only have 2 processors and I had no option to turn Hardware Multi-Threading.

So then I went to this link to download the Universal Binary Update as an alternative. http://www.macgamefi...com/item/18397/  Sadly it doesn't exist anymore.

So what are my options?  My Mac is from 2009 and had always been able to run Sim City 4 Rush Hour at the fullest graphics capacity with no problem.  Never had any problems with the game until I updated to Maverick.  My computer went from a 10.6.8 to a 10.9.2.  I have a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (if that helps any).  I am not technical or know anything about coding, so if you can explain something, please say it in non coder speak.  

You always need the universal binary to work past 10.6.8.  I found a copy of the patch at http://www.gamershel...oad_18916.shtml and it is the legitimate patch.  Download and install, and your game should work.

#30 USA Patriot

USA Patriot

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

You always need the universal binary to work past 10.6.8.  I found a copy of the patch at http://www.gamershel...oad_18916.shtml and it is the legitimate patch.  Download and install, and your game should work.

Thank you.  I downloaded the link without a problem.  When I click to install it, it now says this, "This update can not be installed because an existing installation of Sim City 4 Rush Hour could not be found."  

But now when I stick the game disk in my CD drive, it says that, "you can't open the application Sim City 4 Rush Hour because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

I have a SimCity folder in my documents section of my computer, and a file that says "SimCity 4 Rush Hour.cfg."  I assume that is my original game.  It worked up till I updated to Maverick last week.

So if I can re-install the game, and can't make that game patch install, what should I do?  Sorry for making this difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users