• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

MOD: University Pedestrian Paths in the Roads menu

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oppie

oppie
Awards

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

ppepq9P.jpg

Using a WIP version of SimCityPak (which I will be releasing after I some more UI tweaks) I made my first mod; I managed to create a menu item for the university pedestrian path in the roads menu. Note that this one has the same behavior as the university one - power/water will not travel along it and it won't intersect with other roads.

To use, unzip the attached file and place it in your \Origin\SimCity\SimCityData folder.

NOTE: Use at your own risk. This mod is a change to the game files and we do not yet know the effects this has on the game or how Maxis will deal with them.

Attached Files

#2 Barie

Barie
  • Barie12

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Lekker Bezig! epic mod! , will you also be able to do this for the service roads( the one's only service vehicles can drive on)?

#3 r_allinson

r_allinson

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

thanks oppie, fingers crossed this gets a green light from maxis (maybe someone should tweet Ocean the link to this thread?).

#4 alexbill

alexbill
  • LocationPorto Alegre, Brazil

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Awesome!

#5 warrior

warrior
Awards

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Awesome :)

I don't see why this would be a problem, you could plop a University and then draw the paths, so it doesn't add anything brand new. Just makes it a heck of a lot easier to use.

#6 MZGplayer

MZGplayer
  • MZGBOY

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Awsome

Thanks

#7 oppie

oppie
Awards

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I don't see why this would be a problem, you could plop a University and then draw the paths, so it doesn't add anything brand new. Just makes it a heck of a lot easier to use.

I don't think it'll be a problem either, but so far Maxis and EA have been unclear about what's 'officially' allowed and what isn't. We'll soon be able to introduce things that might potentially influence the leaderboards (when they finally get enabled again), so it'll be good to have word from Maxis themselves. I've tweeted Ocean and Dan - hopefully they can clear something up for us.

#8 GameDesigner

GameDesigner

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

awesome. Thankyou!

..would love to have an alleyway for only utlities, like trash, recycling, deliveries.

#9 Mystogan

Mystogan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

awesome. Thankyou!

..would love to have an alleyway for only utlities, like trash, recycling, deliveries.

Agreed! Just yesterday, I created a new city but I could not plop an oil well since there was no oil present there. But I needed its service road for my delivery trucks due to some traffic here and there. Anyways, nice work op!

#10 moaku

moaku

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I simply don't care if Maxis allows it or not. If a mod is available (or doable if I want to do it by myself) and I want to try it, I will (on my private region btw).

I want my simcity to be modable... Maxis choose to insist on the online aspect of the game, which complicate the "approach" they'll do with mods, but that's not my problem, that's theirs... Mods are doable/available and I want to try them ? I'll do. Maxis is unhappy? just give us an offline patch and stop whining us with lame excuses for not doing so.

I also don't want to limit the term "mod" to some retexturing/redesing of some bats, I want them to be able to affect the gameplay mechanics, and Maxis already started calling that kind of mods "hacks", which they are not... They're additionnal gamedata loaded just like other gamedata, so they're mods. no matter if they so poorly coded the data loading engine that it's able to affect some mechanism they don't want to.

I bought a product, I see no reason for not being able to use it as I want and not as I'm dictated to want. At least as long as I don't play in public games. If they wanted to do a closed-environment game, they should not have done it on pc, but on consoles.

Btw, nice to have a little road for pedestrians available in the road menu.

#11 donpost

donpost

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

Nice work, oppie! I was hoping Maxis would add the option to build paths on that menu - the community got there first!

EDIT: Can you place parks along paths? That would be a whole extra dimension of awesome.

#12 Stuart98

Stuart98
  • Stuart1998
  • LocationIn my room, playing SC4

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Bump this up so that everyone can see and download this.

#13 JukEboX

JukEboX
  • JukEboXAuDiO

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Does this overwrite a game file? So If I save a copy and add this it won't mess up I am guessing. Do updates reinstall the original file or will this not be a problem to have to keep putting back.

#14 Stuart98

Stuart98
  • Stuart1998
  • LocationIn my room, playing SC4

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

No, it just adds a new file, like most mods.

#15 ladyannie

ladyannie
  • Ladyannie

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Does this work on Macs?

#16 migamin

migamin
  • migamin
  • LocationGER

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

sure why not - or do you have any issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users