Photo
- - - - -

Jude! I am so sorry. I am a terrible Mayor...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sunfighter

Sunfighter

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

50K population? Psh..we dont need any mass transit...

Spark_2013-03-10_15-21-57_zpseadc2c13.pn

If only the AI would stop that herding instinct and use the next bridge over...but...nah...

Spark_2013-03-10_15-19-39_zps5202c562.pn

#2 Matttheduckman

Matttheduckman

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wow... Reminds me of that traffic jam in China (was it Beijing or Shaghai?) a few years ago that took days to clear.

Why oh why are they not on the other bridge??

#3 Charizard

Charizard
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wait.. this game doesn't have any mass transit at all?? I thought it had buses and street cars.

#4 Digma

Digma
  • Digma76
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

The game has mass transit, but he apparently opted not to use it. Before you get your hopes up though, no subway.

#5 Charizard

Charizard
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

The game has mass transit, but he apparently opted not to use it. Before you get your hopes up though, no subway.

That is just plain silly that they did not decide to include subways. Most metropolitan areas have a subway system in place. Maybe it's just me because I live near New York. But still it's not like this game makes it easy for you to get a population of 1 million plus anyway.

#6 Sunfighter

Sunfighter

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

That is just plain silly that they did not decide to include subways. Most metropolitan areas have a subway system in place. Maybe it's just me because I live near New York. But still it's not like this game makes it easy for you to get a population of 1 million plus anyway.

Easy to understand why they didnt. The game really isnt finished to be honest. Even without the server issues, there are quite a lot of obvious bugs. Most are connected to sloppy terraforming by the AI (giving the human control would of probably lead to to the people fixing the issues themselves, but hey too much work). Giving the city an underground would effectively mean designing a whole new underground layer, also EVERYTHING in this game is tied to roads..even the train tracks are effectively seen as roads to the glassbox system. Getting the system to understand that subways are roads too but no cars can drive on it, no water can flow on it, and the like probably takes a lot of work.

PS a town of 50K people would never have traffic like this in real life unless it was a ring town around a much larger city. And I dont see much sign of an AI that adapts its routes based on traffic, because as you can see there, there is a totally free bridge there getting no use. And I know an intersection connecting the packed road to that empty one isnt much farther past that bridge, but the AI wants to dogpile on the closest route..so you get what you see there.

#7 Digma

Digma
  • Digma76
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I don't know what they were thinking or aiming on when they built this version of Sim City. In a way I was surprised as you are it wasn't included. But then again, building tunnels isn't an option either.

Easy to understand why they didnt. The game really isnt finished to be honest. Even without the server issues, there are quite a lot of obvious bugs. Most are connected to sloppy terraforming by the AI (giving the human control would of probably lead to to the people fixing the issues themselves, but hey too much work). Giving the city an underground would effectively mean designing a whole new underground layer, also EVERYTHING in this game is tied to roads..even the train tracks are effectively seen as roads to the glassbox system. Getting the system to understand that subways are roads too but no cars can drive on it, no water can flow on it, and the like probably takes a lot of work.

PS a town of 50K people would never have traffic like this in real life unless it was a ring town around a much larger city. And I dont see much sign of an AI that adapts its routes based on traffic, because as you can see there, there is a totally free bridge there getting no use. And I know an intersection connecting the packed road to that empty one isnt much farther past that bridge, but the AI wants to dogpile on the closest route..so you get what you see there.

Traffic in most city building games is unrealistic. I live in an area with around 250K people and the traffic I sometimes see in Sim City or similar titles, is ridiculously unrealistic. Yes, we have a few traffic jams on the freeway occassionally, but never like that.

#8 Sunfighter

Sunfighter

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I don't know what they were thinking or aiming on when they built this version of Sim City. In a way I was surprised as you are it wasn't included. But then again, building tunnels isn't an option either.

You can do tunnels...sorta...but it can only in cliff faces, very hard to get the AI to do it though, but they are possible, just for some reason (again i think its tied to the lack of terraforming) they wont let the player have control of it. You can also force large bridges on flat maps, but its very expensive, and very time consuming, you can terraform by tricking the AI into doing what you want, but again...SUPER expensive....   Early on in Spagehtti-O's lifetime... I had to take out all 3 bonds right at the start just for the first bridge...i was actually just playing around with roads..but it became a city for the heck of it just to see how confused i could make the traffic AI...and as you saw in the first pictures..i did a good job.

Spark_2013-03-09_19-46-08_zps649a1c09.pn

#9 Write

Write
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

The main issue is that there's only one way in and out of the city, it's essentially a choke point that everyone tries to get through and it's not enough. I've had this problem myself, highways being backed up for miles because there isn't enough ramps in and out of the city to accomdate the traffice. Add on to that AI that drives around in circles and sits there during green light and you get terrible gridlock.

#10 Digma

Digma
  • Digma76
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hehehe, that looks pretty hectic. Reminds me of a highway intersection at some large city where 10 highways come together. :)

But what I was referring to was building tunnels through mountains. I would have been a welcome solution to the traffic problem in one of my first built cities.

The main issue is that there's only one way in and out of the city, it's essentially a choke point that everyone tries to get through and it's not enough. I've had this problem myself, highways being backed up for miles because there isn't enough ramps in and out of the city to accomdate the traffice. Add on to that AI that drives around in circles and sits there during green light and you get terrible gridlock.

You should be able to circumvent that 'choke point' by adding a ferry dock, a train station or a regional bus station. At least, I noticed a drop in traffic through the choke point before regional sharing became completely defunct (Maxis turned it off due to it being buggy?)

#11 Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

[quote name="Sunfighter" post="1341971" timestamp="1362958019"]

[/quote

Sorry, can you explain how you did that bridge? I haven't seen anything like that!

#12 Hitandrun127

Hitandrun127
  • Hitandrun128

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

You can build tunnels.

#13 CoolColJ

CoolColJ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Some cities run alongside a highway so you can have as many entrances as you want

But putting a Park and ride at the entrance really helps

#14 Sunfighter

Sunfighter

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

I shifted one road, and the daily gridlock shifted to the north.

I think its time for trams.... I appear to have designed the worst road system ever. Who would of guessed limiting intersections could cause such problems..but thats frankly due to terrible U-turning AI.

Spark_2013-03-11_00-28-37_zpsd076fbab.pn

And here is the traffic a few days later, slightly higher population, but with the addition of one extra road that I hope you notice....thanks to AI herding..the addition of one road can make or break your traffic issues...

Spark_2013-03-11_01-06-44_zps82aeda5e.pn

PS...I think RCI is broken in this game. There is zero demand for C, yet it continues to expand in density regardless of demand...this in turn pushes up Residential demand to huge levels. I dont understand it really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users