• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Simcity 4 Launcher - Updated 1.4.0b - R7

release launcher settings
  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb
  • L0gic_B0mb
  • LocationCambs, UK

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

POPULAR

Hey All,

I'm pretty new here, but here it goes anyway.
So I recently got back into playing Simcity 4, but had been experiencing some technical difficulties due to the age of the game, I did a little research and found out that it was not my hardware at fault (which I knew as I had only just upgraded it) but was in fact the settings within the game. One of the big issues I was having was Trees & Scenery disappearing when scrolling in game - this was due to the fact that I was using an AMD card (HD 7870 OC) and for some reason this registered with Simcity as a low-end ATI card (which it is most certainly not).

I did a little tinkering and found that EA/Maxis actually enabled an additional option within the 'Graphic Rules' file for ATI Cards, I changed the options around and voila! solved. But this left me wandering just how many people have had this problem and just lived with it because they didn't want to go messing with the over-complicated Simcity files, and this then spurred me on to create something I called 'SC4Launcher'.

SC4Launcher allows certain settings and stability issues to be set/solved before the game is launched. I decided to register and release it here as this seems like a place in which a large amount of people may benefit from it.

The features are as follows:
- Auto-Update Feature to negate the need to constantly check the STEX.
- Quick Launch (Launch instantly with the latest settings).
- Auto-Save Feature with Interval selection.
- Resolution Selection. (Auto-Detected).
- Color Depth Selection.
- Ability to change the number of Logical Cores used. (Auto-Detected).
- Loading & Saving of last used Configuration.
- Ability to set the CPU Priority.
- Render Mode Selection (DirectX, OpenGL or Software).
- Ability to turn audio On or Off.
- Intro Screen/Movie Disable/Enable; and
- The all important Force Draw On Scroll Fix.

I am aware that many of the tech savvy among you will have no use for this, as many of the features are easily enabled through command line switches, but, some of the community might benefit from this, at-least, I hope they will.

Screen-Shot:
439335338382319723ccadcaf9f2ee92.png

I have packaged the software into an installer that should automatically detect your Simcity Installation folder, but if it doesn't, please give it a nudge in the right direction. A virus scan is also attached below, for those of you who wish to have peace of mind.

R7 Download Link A (STEX)
R7 Download Link B (Uppit)
R7 Download Link C (MultiUpload)

Change Log:
Spoiler

Hope you enjoy the software! And I hope this is in the correct section! :)

Regards,

Logic_

#2 Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA
Awards

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Wow...well done.  This definitely belongs on the STEX, LEX, and everywhere else important.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived.

#3 LillySatou

LillySatou

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

you're awesome. thank you. i also like that it auto-detected my max res. nice touch.

#4 libellibicus

libellibicus
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

That is a very good idea, and well implemented.  You should definitely upload this to the STEX and LEX.

You know you're Working Class when your TV set is bigger than your Bookcase

#5 aaaling

aaaling

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Wait, did you make this yourself?

Check out The Simtropolis Vending Machine!

Looking for ebina’s files? Click this link to download his files on MediaFire!

#6 Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb
  • L0gic_B0mb
  • LocationCambs, UK

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Wow...well done.  This definitely belongs on the STEX, LEX, and everywhere else important.

Thank you very much! I'm fairly new here, and uploading to the STEX seems straight forward, but I am yet to determine just what the LEX is! xD

you're awesome. thank you. i also like that it auto-detected my max res. nice touch.

Aha! No problem, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like it! :)

That is a very good idea, and well implemented.  You should definitely upload this to the STEX and LEX.

Thank you! :) I'm glad it is proving useful! As stated above, I will upload to the STEX ASAP, but I'm still yet to find out more about the LEX! xD

Wait, did you make this yourself?

I did indeed make this myself, it's coded in FPC (Lazarus). Feel free to click the Simcity Logo within the App if you have any doubts! :)

Thank you, everyone, for your positive feedback, I'm really glad I chose to sign-up here, as everyone seems to have a very positive attitude!
If anyone uncovers any bugs/faults, please do either reply here or PM me and I will get them fixed as quickly as possible!

Once again, Thanks and Regards,

Logic_

#7 Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe
Awards

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

The LEX is the exchange over at SC4Devotion.com, the other major SC4 fan site.  It's more difficult to get something uploaded there, you have to fill out an application, there's a waiting period, etc.  But it's considered a more high quality exchange and I'm sure such a useful tool as this would get in.

Focus on getting it on the STEX first.

#8 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
  • You've got to be kidding!
  • LocationHensall, Ontario, Canada
Awards

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

FPC?  Pascal?  Does it need any libraries loaded other than the Windows standard ones?  I am on Linux, you see.

Small, Fast and Free: Linux is the program for me.
The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
JohnNewSig.gif
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly

Come join us at the Moose Factory

#9 Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb
  • L0gic_B0mb
  • LocationCambs, UK

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

The LEX is the exchange over at SC4Devotion.com, the other major SC4 fan site.  It's more difficult to get something uploaded there, you have to fill out an application, there's a waiting period, etc.  But it's considered a more high quality exchange and I'm sure such a useful tool as this would get in.

Ahhh, Brilliant, I will definately upload to the STEX soon, just tinkering with some of the code at the moment, and I will look into the LEX afterwards, as it looks like a very long process.

FPC?  Pascal?  Does it need any libraries loaded other than the Windows standard ones?  I am on Linux, you see.

It does use the windows registry for some of it's functionality (Auto-Detection), but I'm sure that could be stripped. The File-System references and the Installer would need to be re-done too, but I could give compiling a version for Linux a go tomorrow if you'd like? :)

Regards,

Logic_

#10 libellibicus

libellibicus

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

I installed it and gave it a whirl.  I get an error stating:  Unable to create file "Graphics Rules .sgr"  Any idea what this might mean?

#11 Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb
  • L0gic_B0mb
  • LocationCambs, UK

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

I installed it and gave it a whirl.  I get an error stating:  Unable to create file "Graphics Rules .sgr"  Any idea what this might mean?

Hmmm, How odd. Could you provide me with a few details? Specifically; Windows Version, Simcity Installation Directory & Whether you have UAC enabled or Disabled?

The error you are receiving indicates that my application is having trouble writing to the Simcity folder.

Regards,

Logic_

#12 libellibicus

libellibicus

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hmmm, How odd. Could you provide me with a few details? Specifically; Windows Version, Simcity Installation Directory & Whether you have UAC enabled or Disabled?

The error you are receiving indicates that my application is having trouble writing to the Simcity folder.

Regards,

Logic_

I am running Windows XP SP3.  Installation directory is C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe.  I have Administrator rights (if that is what UAC means)

#13 Fatherted

Fatherted
  • I have downloaded two games from Origin. Simcity 4 Deluxe, for I have a new computer and want to start afresh with a clean plugin drive, and Peggle, because it was free and I love Peggle 2.
  • LocationCraggy Island (Still)

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

You don't need to make anything for Moose, although I know he would appreciate it. He's a techy, far more than even me.

Thanks for this! Get it on the STEX, and I will download it soon. If you don't want to do that, I can do it for you.

The city lay red...

Flaming and broken...

Then he exited to region, reloaded, and it was fine.

"Don't be responsible, someone else will clean it up." Republican Proverb

#14 Jim14409

Jim14409
  • LocationArkansas USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm sorry I guess this may be off topic and I tried to walk on by but...

"...more high quality"?? No offense Joe, but I've not seen anything any higher quality anywhere than what is presented here on Simtropolis. Perhaps you meant to say they are more persnickity? I don't know, but don't see any higher quality anywhere else than here. :)

#15 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

It does use the windows registry for some of it's functionality (Auto-Detection), but I'm sure that could be stripped. The File-System references and the Installer would need to be re-done too, but I could give compiling a version for Linux a go tomorrow if you'd like? :)

Regards,

Logic_

Don't worry about that.  The Windows Executive has the Registry (emulated) and the Registry Editor is the same as for Windows.  So if you use standard calls to the registry you should be OK.  Since the game runs under wine, just make your usual windows exe and it should run fine.

The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
JohnNewSig.gif

#16 Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe
Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm sorry I guess this may be off topic and I tried to walk on by but...

"...more high quality"?? No offense Joe, but I've not seen anything any higher quality anywhere than what is presented here on Simtropolis. Perhaps you meant to say they are more persnickity? I don't know, but don't see any higher quality anywhere else than here. :)

I just meant to emphasize that it's a regulated exchange, versus the one here on Simtropolis that anyone can upload anything to.  There's a lot of 5-minutes-in-the-lot-editor stuff on the STEX that you have to sort through.  But yes, persnickety is a good word  :P

#17 Ln X

Ln X
  • City Slicker

• 835 posts
  • LocationDarlington, England

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Me to, I have the same error but thankfully I can still play the game without using launcher.

Basically I picked a 1280x1024 resolution and 32-bit (same as my monitor), my CPU has four cores and I selected high priority.

Windows mode: full screen

Render mode: DirectX

Audio: On

Intro: Did not disable

Compatibility: selected 'force draw on scroll'

Finally I tried all the different renders and that 'Graphics Rules .sgr' message still popped up. So it could be a bug in the launcher or a compatibility problem, I'm not sure...

ksq8.png

Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules—forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology.

Anonymous Metagenics Dockworker, MorganLink 3DVision Live Interview

#18 Vlasky

Vlasky
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia
Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

You have to upload this to This is amazing! Do it!!! Can't wait to see more of your work!

#19 Yrgaltidge

Yrgaltidge
  • LocationOntario California

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Great work! the links supplied are a bit kludgy though, as others have said, upload to STEX, people are going to love it, :)

Bob

#20 ShadowVFX

ShadowVFX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Logic_Bomb, I bleeping love you!

I had my SC4 setup correctly, but have since reformatted my machine and forgot to back it all up. I'm about to reinstall SC4 on steam and was going to reinstall NAM, etc. and this will help a lot.

Thanks a bunch!

#21 MandelSoft

MandelSoft
  • 0xBADB57F1
  • LocationZoetermeer, the Netherlands
Awards

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

This looks like an useful application for those who are struggling with adding those suffixes to the target of the desktop shortcuts, but still also quite handy for those who actually can do that. Thanks for sharing this tiny but useful application ;)

Read the Readme or drown in bugs and glitches, the choice is yours...

My (mostly) transit BATs and Mods
Visit my CJ, Schellingen-Stadt!

ms_signature_animated_00.gif.gif

#22 Vlasky

Vlasky
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia
Awards

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

You could also add this feature to it: http://sc4devotion.c...82741#msg282741

#23 BlueLou

BlueLou

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Great, thanks.

#24 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

It is amazing what a little bit of utility code can do when someone really tries.  Thanks very much. 

I might give that a try, but right now I am having fun and frolics with the way Linux/wine has been installing things, and it is not at all clear where things wind up.  Seems I can have two copies of the game in different set ups in wine concurrently.  I'll have to sort this out.

JohnNewSig.gif

#25 Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb
  • L0gic_B0mb
  • LocationCambs, UK

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

@Everyone; I have just updated the Launcher to try and combat the bugs experienced by XP Users, if you didn't experience the bug, then the update is really of no use to you. The download to the new update is available via the links in the OP and on the STEX. (http://community.sim...3-sc4-launcher/)

I am running Windows XP SP3.  Installation directory is C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe.  I have Administrator rights (if that is what UAC means)

I have just updated the Launcher to try and combat this bug, I have tested it using virtual box and I would very much appreciate any feedback if it still doesn't work. :)

You don't need to make anything for Moose, although I know he would appreciate it. He's a techy, far more than even me.

Thanks for this! Get it on the STEX, and I will download it soon. If you don't want to do that, I can do it for you.

Ahh, that's fair enough then! :P

No problem! :) I have uploaded it to the STEX now. Link is in the OP.

Don't worry about that.  The Windows Executive has the Registry (emulated) and the Registry Editor is the same as for Windows.  So if you use standard calls to the registry you should be OK.  Since the game runs under wine, just make your usual windows exe and it should run fine.

Ahhh, That's brilliant then! AFAIK only standard calls are used, most of what is done is done through the WinAPI or the embedded LCL environment! :).

Me to, I have the same error but thankfully I can still play the game without using launcher. 
Basically I picked a 1280x1024 resolution and 32-bit (same as my monitor), my CPU has four cores and I selected high priority. 
Windows mode: full screen 
Render mode: DirectX
Audio: On 
Intro: Did not disable 
Compatibility: selected 'force draw on scroll'
Finally I tried all the different renders and that 'Graphics Rules .sgr' message still popped up. So it could be a bug in the launcher or a compatibility problem, I'm not sure...

I have now tested & released an update that should (hopefully) solve this bug, if it doesn't, please let me know. :)

You have to upload this to This is amazing! Do it!!! Can't wait to see more of your work!

It is now uploaded to STEX, thank you very much for your positive feedback, appreciated! :D

Great work! the links supplied are a bit kludgy though, as others have said, upload to STEX, people are going to love it, :)
Bob

They are very 'kludgy' :P sorry about that, I have now uploaded it to the STEX, check the OP for a link and thank you so much for your feedback! :D

Logic_Bomb, I bleeping love you!

I had my SC4 setup correctly, but have since reformatted my machine and forgot to back it all up. I'm about to reinstall SC4 on steam and was going to reinstall NAM, etc. and this will help a lot.

Thanks a bunch!

Aha, why thank you, very much appreciated, i'm glad you are enjoying the software! :)

This looks like an useful application for those who are struggling with adding those suffixes to the target of the desktop shortcuts, but still also quite handy for those who actually can do that. Thanks for sharing this tiny but useful application ;)

No problem, thank you for your positive feedback! :D

You could also add this feature to it: (URL)

I will look into adding that feature, thank you very much for the suggestion! :)

It is amazing what a little bit of utility code can do when someone really tries.  Thanks very much. 

I might give that a try, but right now I am having fun and frolics with the way Linux/wine has been installing things, and it is not at all clear where things wind up.  Seems I can have two copies of the game in different set ups in wine concurrently.  I'll have to sort this out.

It really is, as I said, the idea came to me when I had the compatibility issues, and it was such a simple idea that I was supprised it didn't already exist! :)

@Everyone;
Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful and encouraging replies! It really is appreciated! :)

Regards,

Logic_

#26 cwhomer

cwhomer

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have just updated the Launcher to try and combat this bug, I have tested it using virtual box and I would very much appreciate any feedback if it still doesn't work. :)

I had this problem this morning, running Windows 7. For me, it was a permissions issue and I was able to fix it without the updated launcher.

#27 TheSwede

TheSwede
  • LocationIn Sim City

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for this Launcher, finally I can have it in windowed mode and 1680x1050 resolution, when I tried changing the start option ( "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -w -r1280x1024x32 -intro:off ) it wouldn't let me use 1680x1050 when I tried, instead it put me on 1600x1200 resolution.  But, there was a couple minor things when starting the launcher.

I am on Win7 64bit version and when I click Launch I get 3 error messages:

Error assigning the File Handle. #EC0

Line 0 Failed to write to file. Please report this bug. #EC1

Failed to close this file Handle. #EC2

Although I just have to click OK 3 times and then SC4 opens as normal, I thought I let you know about these minor bugs.

Once again, thanks for the Launcher, a great litte piece of work !! =)

#28 aegian

aegian

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Great add for the SC4 community, thanks.

Just as TheSwede found this bugs:

Win 7 64bit version.

Error assigning the File Handle. #EC0

Line 0 Failed to write to file. Please report this bug. #EC1

Failed to close this file Handle. #EC2

#29 Mr_Maison

Mr_Maison
  • LocationBrooklyn, NYC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

So wait.....does this make SC4 multi-core compatible? (CPU options) And I also did the -CPUcount=1 thing. Do I have to change that back to default or is it ok to just install as is? I'm running 32bit Windows XP on a quad core with Geforce9800GT. And what Render Mode setting is best recommended? Hope not too many questions

#30 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

It does not change anything.  Just makes it easier to set up your command line.  It is really for people who think of their machine as a home appliance and don't want to be bothered even slightly with the guts.

I hope you have -CPUcount:1  That's a colon not an equal sign.

Run DirectX (hardware mode) since OpenGL doesn't work.  If you are having graphics trouble look here for answers.

JohnNewSig.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: release, launcher, settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users