I'm pretty new here, but here it goes anyway.
So I recently got back into playing Simcity 4, but had been experiencing some technical difficulties due to the age of the game, I did a little research and found out that it was not my hardware at fault (which I knew as I had only just upgraded it) but was in fact the settings within the game. One of the big issues I was having was Trees & Scenery disappearing when scrolling in game - this was due to the fact that I was using an AMD card (HD 7870 OC) and for some reason this registered with Simcity as a low-end ATI card (which it is most certainly not).
I did a little tinkering and found that EA/Maxis actually enabled an additional option within the 'Graphic Rules' file for ATI Cards, I changed the options around and voila! solved. But this left me wandering just how many people have had this problem and just lived with it because they didn't want to go messing with the over-complicated Simcity files, and this then spurred me on to create something I called 'SC4Launcher'.
SC4Launcher allows certain settings and stability issues to be set/solved before the game is launched. I decided to register and release it here as this seems like a place in which a large amount of people may benefit from it.
The features are as follows:
- Auto-Update Feature to negate the need to constantly check the STEX.
- Quick Launch (Launch instantly with the latest settings).
- Auto-Save Feature with Interval selection.
- Resolution Selection. (Auto-Detected).
- Color Depth Selection.
- Ability to change the number of Logical Cores used. (Auto-Detected).
- Loading & Saving of last used Configuration.
- Ability to set the CPU Priority.
- Render Mode Selection (DirectX, OpenGL or Software).
- Ability to turn audio On or Off.
- Intro Screen/Movie Disable/Enable; and
- The all important Force Draw On Scroll Fix.
I am aware that many of the tech savvy among you will have no use for this, as many of the features are easily enabled through command line switches, but, some of the community might benefit from this, at-least, I hope they will.
I have packaged the software into an installer that should automatically detect your Simcity Installation folder, but if it doesn't, please give it a nudge in the right direction. A virus scan is also attached below, for those of you who wish to have peace of mind.
R7 Download Link A (STEX)
R7 Download Link B (Uppit)
R7 Download Link C (MultiUpload)
Hope you enjoy the software! And I hope this is in the correct section!