SimCity Beta "Review"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart98

Stuart98
  • Stuart1998
  • LocationIn my room, playing SC4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have MST( GMT-6), so all times are ahead by one hour over what it is for PST times.

All day in school today I was looking forward to the beta today. I had parent teacher conferences today however. :( My mom and I left at five, and returned at around 6:45. I got the beta started up right away. All Origin downloaded, of course, was a launcher, which took about five minutes. The launcher then started downloading the main game. The first 10% took around two minutes... and the rest took about 15 minutes for 1%. At 10:00, when the beta ended, the game was stuck at 40%. This wasn't a beta. A beta is a several week long thing where people test a game for bugs. This was a four hour long sick joke where everyone spent four hours downloading the beta... and then never got to do anything else. This is what we can expect from Maxis. Nothing more. 

#2 MINIggy03

MINIggy03

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Poeple were allowed to download prior to the beta started.

#3 SirChick

SirChick

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

What connection you on ? I'm on 200MB/s total download time was 15 minutes give or take. Though i doubt highly i was getting 200MB/s from their servers. I got the full 4 hour game play out of the BETA. So not everyone suffered, there were thousands online according to the global stats.

#4 Stuart98

Stuart98
  • Stuart1998
  • LocationIn my room, playing SC4

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

Oh yeah, we got an email 28 minutes before it started.

No.

I typically get about 250 kbs when downloading things. I have no idea what the dl speed was, because the launcher didn't have any built in way of seeing what the download speed was.

#5 MrNocturne

MrNocturne

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Eish, you guys are so lucky! I'm lucky to get more than about 40kbps downloading anything from any international sites. And only around 95kbps maximum for local ones. :(

#6 PrixFixe

PrixFixe

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I added the code to my Origin account a few minutes after the beta started, and was in 10 minutes later. I have residential cable with 20MB rating. 

Yes, the timing was very tight (in terms of when they sent the codes), but lots of us got in and were able to play for several hours. 

The game will be live in a few days anyway.

#7 Zpike

Zpike
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I had no problem with the download.  Took about 10 or 15 minutes tops from time I got the code to being in the game getting the "Can't claim city" message. :)  Then they brought up the servers and I stopped thinking for like 3 hours I was having so much fun. :yes:

The invention of beer and the wheel were the foundation of modern civilization & together were the catalyst that split humanity into two distinct subgroups: liberals & conservatives. Some men spent their days tracking & killing animals to B-B-Q at night while they were drinking beer. These men were called "conservatives". Other men who were weaker & less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's & doing the sewing, fetching & hair dressing. They were called "progressives".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users