• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
- - - - -

DRM portals x Windows 8. - Keep captive the users will be solution?

drm win8
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NCGAIO

NCGAIO

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Edit : News here

The success of gaming portals (even with DRM), which currently replaces the old method of sales of packaged games popular, depend entirely on the fact that the PC platform is open, which allows players to buy and download games Pcs in the most varied settings and using different versions of Windows without encountering major problems in most cases.

Despite complaints of abuse in controlling excessive DRM imposed by some distributors, the system is a blockbuster, because it facilitates the acquisition of games and allows them to be installed and played on several machines (not simultaneous) with great convenience and portability (save in cloud) for use at any time in any place.

But with the arrival of Windows 8 this scenario begins to take some risk because besides the more closed system it´s also represents Microsoft's entry in the business of distributing software.

It is easy to see this as it delivers the Windows Store to the system as well as other features like Xbox LIVE. Obviously this market has already begin with a much larger share of the potential users who will bring tremendous advantages when negotiating contracts with producers of entertainment software.

Posted Image

Taking eg Steam we see that their more popular games that are Valve's own, represent only a small slice of the company's sales and thus most of their income from the commissions on sale of other titles of many producers.In this case the Valve would be at a distinct disadvantage compared to the growth in the number of users and also for the variety of titles that him represent so as they intend maintain a more flexible platform than the others, chose to turn to Linux for announcing soon a portal version and several games that will be ported to the system.( Besides also start distributing software and develop plans for their own hardware )

Now In the case of EA the opposite occurs because much of the revenue comes from games made by studios over your control To address this and other potential competitions she did transformed the digital distribution of its products now totally dependent on the portal to they can be used. This attitude ensures absolute control of its products now transformed into services and even seeming somewhat hostile with the consumer the strategy has been working good and the number of customers to the portal don't stop to climb.

Only time will tell which path will best result;

The Valve betting on linux distribution of its products eg announce the porting of the Left 4 Dead 2 for a growing market that can take as an example the Huble Bundle fifth edition, bought for 300,000 users who have paid on average $ 8 package so generating revenues of approximately $ 2.4 million.

Or the distributors who choose to keep customers as hostage of services offered by their online portals and not only getting rid of the costs of physical packaging distribution but as well create a captive market for monetizing their products through packages updates and also Media publicity which would alienate the possibility of competition

Edited by NCGAIO, 31 October 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#2 Easy Bakes

Easy Bakes
Awards

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

and you have to wait for your download to play the game if its updated a lot.
Also they can keep prices high for older games were buying an older game at a store
almost guarantees you a big discount.
Stupidity Should Always be Painful

the only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.

#3 Duke87

Duke87
  • Simtrop Connoisseur

• 28,243 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Awards

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have a problem with this method of distribution. Namely, it's too automatic.

To me, downloading something means "right click and save as" - a file goes from the internet to a spot on your hard drive which you specify, and then you do with it as you please after that.

When you have a service such as, say Amazon MP3 (I use it as an example because I have direct experience with it), it isn't so simple. It does a things for you without asking, and if it's not done the way you like, you then have to go and manually fix it - assuming you are even allowed to.
Three things Amazon MP3 did that I did not like:
1) forced me to install their software on my computer to use the service
2) automatically opened Windows Media Player and added the song to my library there - nevermind, of course, that I use WinAmp and thus this supposed convenience is actually an annoyance
3) created a special folder in My Music for songs downloaded through the service, directly defying the structure by which I organize my music and forcing me to manually fix it.

Some of this is done, of course, in the name of copyright protection - let the user do as they please and they may do illegal things. Problem is, this often also stops the user from doing some perfectly legal things, making it a source of customer annoyance.

The rest of it is done in an attempt to be idiot friendly, and make things work without needing effort or knowledge from users who aren't computer savvy. The problem with that, then, is that idiot friendly often also means genius unfriendly. I, for one, despise it when something is programmed to act like it knows what I want better than I do. It is an insult to my intelligence. Yeah, sure, most people use WMP or iTunes (the two programs Amazon MP3 will sync with), and most people don't care how their music folder is organized and might consider it a convenience to not have the program ask them where to save the file and then not have to worry about where to find it. But I do, and I find the service unusable because it simply isn't designed with people like me in mind.

Compare this to some smaller time music sales sites (say, CDFreedom or MerchDirect), where when you buy a song they generate a link for you (which is unique, and expires after a set amount of time and/or a set number of downloads - fair enough), and then the next step is to right click and save as, the good old-fashioned way. You may then save the file anywhere you like and synch it with whatever device or program you like. This, if you ask me, is far more civilized and it is unfortunate that major distributors are not fond of it.

I speak about music since I'm more in tune with it (no pun intended) than I am with modern gaming. I have never used Steam, and SimCity 4 is the newest PC game I own (!). I also do not expect that to change anytime soon as any piece of software which comes packaged with DRM (this includes every PC video game released within the past several years) is not allowed on my computer.

Edited by Duke87, 18 October 2012 - 08:50 PM.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.
If you can read this, you deserve a cookie.

#4 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
  • You've got to be kidding!
  • LocationHensall, Ontario, Canada
Awards

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

This whole thing is a privacy issue to a major extent. I will be forever accursed on the day that I subscribe to such a thing. Allowing a vendor to automatically sell me things is tantamount to having no control over your life.

Small, Fast and Free: Linux is the program for me.
The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
JohnNewSig.gif
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly

Come join us at the Moose Factory

#5 NCGAIO

NCGAIO

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

As I expected Link it begins to come to public, despite the publishers affected cautiously discuss their position.

GS - " They just don't want to come forward about it quite yet.

These are what we hear are the most common concerns from the game development community:

-That Microsoft won't allow their digital stores onto the new interface, and that they'll have to pay a toll to Microsoft to get on the official store.

- That even if they can get onto the new UI with their app, there are concerns of being marginalized. The PC game installs look orphaned, compared to the Xbox Live-enabled content and games.

- That currently, to anyone’s knowledge, there's no rolling launcher that can take you seamlessly back and forth between the new UI and the old desktop interface. If there isn’t, then it inhibits PC games from being able to seamlessly launch games from the new UI in a couch-TV setting. This locks up that experience for the Xbox content that is featured on the new Windows 8 UI."

Read more in source:http://www.gamasutra...hp#.UI2YL29bYqM

The giant of the O.S.s seems to have woken up to the huge captive market that has been created by the distributors and that depends on your product to exist.

Posted Image

You already knew this ? - AGAWI - Any Game AnyWere Instantly - Agawi Game Partner (AGP Gold) Program

Now .. this is to get the sleep of some CEOs

Posted Image

. "For the first time in the history of the PC, Microsoft is rolling out a new Windows ecosystem for which they will be the sole software distributor. If you buy Windows 8, the only place you will be able to download software that integrates with its new user interface will be the official Windows Store. Microsoft will have complete control over what software will be allowed there."

Read more in source:http://gamasutra.com...years_what_.php

And now, as will be ?

Edited by NCGAIO, 31 October 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#6 Wiimeiser

Wiimeiser

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

A lot of the ratings stuff seems to be taken from the OFLC guidelines before they changed to the ACB and exiled Michael Atkinson. I swear, if Atkinson is in charge, he deserves to be given the Hourai Elixir and sealed in the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

EDIT: Yes, those are definitely the Australian guidelines. Note that they must be appropriate for a global audience, and Australia doesn't have an adult rating for games. We almost got one but I don't know what's happened with it...

Edited by Wiimeiser, 29 October 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#7 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

DRM has five wiki definitions in the IT section alone. One assumes you are talking about Digital Rights Management? Frankly, Scarlet ...

The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
JohnNewSig.gif

#8 NCGAIO

NCGAIO

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

DRM has five wiki definitions in the IT section alone. One assumes you are talking about Digital Rights Management? Frankly, Scarlet ...

This is not the subject but to clarify ....

"Digital rights management (DRM) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale. DRM is any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that are not desired or intended by the content provider. DRM also includes specific instances of digital works or devices.

source: Digital rights management - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think we all know perfectly well what it is ... dear mr Butler ....

Edited by NCGAIO, 29 October 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#9 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Rhett and Scarlet fit right in. Devil may care and greed in tandem.

JohnNewSig.gif

#10 NCGAIO

NCGAIO

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Oopss! ... you realize that we are from different countries right ? then native-expressions lock any comprehension of the text ... sorry

Anyway his message pointed out to correct my first post ... note that was post before the Gamasutra article... because I did the same thing using the term "DRM portals" as I use to portals in Brazil with this control .... . thanks.

Edited by NCGAIO, 31 October 2012 - 09:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users