• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
- - - - -

sim city 4 crashes city when after download

crashes
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oldskool78

oldskool78

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

i have dowmloaded lots of stuff from here and added to my plugins folder , when i go into my city it crashes doesent give me any message just crashes to desktop

#2 Hellken

Hellken

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

This is why you should never download without testing first. The cause of the CTD is obviously from one of your downloads (especially of it is a mod)

#3 Megaopolisbuilder54

Megaopolisbuilder54
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

This is maybe why your game crashes it can be max out graphics,plugins is full and lags a lot on Internet and sim city 4 take a look at me topic called Sim City 4 crashes.

#4 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
  • You've got to be kidding!
  • LocationHensall, Ontario, Canada
Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Welcome to Simtropolis and our Conversation.

First, your game may not be qualified to have any plugins. People leap in with no information and give what may be fatal information to new players.

The first thing we need to know is the build version of your game. You can find this by using windows explorer to navigate to C:\program files ... \SimCity 4 ...\Apps\SimCity 4.exe and hovering your mouse over it. It should report the version number in the format x,b,zzz,t. The possibilities are several but the key ones are:

zzz is less than 638. This is either the original SimCity 4 without the Rush Hour update, or a copy of SC4 Deluxe without the necessary patches to correct bugs.

if zzz=638 then you have Deluxe and you should be able to run with no problems provided your plugins are compatible with each other.

if zzz=640 you have the version that is updated to also work properly with some custom content with night lighting.

if zzz=641 you have the Digital Download version of Deluxe which will not only run well, but without a disk in the CD drive.

If you are in the first case, please let us know which version you have and we can advise you further.

If your system is one that will run, you must remove all your plugins, and put them back, one at a time and test each add separately by starting the game. When you find one that causes the crash, you should then discard this plugin.

Plugin management is a serious job. You can find out more about this by walking through this thread. You might also be interested in this one as well.

This is a legacy game, and some computer knowledge besides e-mail and browser usage is required.

And one more thought: The game will not run without accelerated graphics and sound. Please report your system configuration.

Edited by A Nonny Moose, 14 September 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Small, Fast and Free: Linux is the program for me.
The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
JohnNewSig.gif
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly

Come join us at the Moose Factory

#5 Zodicus

Zodicus
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

You may report your system configuration by going to start menu and clicking run (or search/find) depending on what operating system you are running and typing dxdiag in the menu and pressing enter. At that time it will save a .txt file. You may copy that file and post it here to help the community diagnose your problem and help you help yourself :) GL and I hope it works out for you.

#6 chimeran

chimeran

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

here is a hotfix if you don't want to wait forever to fix your plugins

1 : create a desktop shortcut for SC4
step 1.JPG

2: right click on your shortcut and click Properties

step 2.jpg

3: enter -CPUCount:1 in the target line

step 3.JPG

hit apply

-CPUCount:1 will solve most crashes since it forces the game to only use one core. in my example i have it set to 2 which is the highest it can go. no real big difference in processor power. bear in mind this is a hotfix only and only delays the inevitable. you will seriously need to check your plugins and follow the installation instructions precisely for each mod.

If your system is one that will run, you must remove all your plugins, and put them back, one at a time and test each add separately by starting the game. When you find one that causes the crash, you should then discard this plugin.

Plugin management is a serious job. You can find out more about this by walking through this thread. You might also be interested in this one as well.

if you have NAM and or CAM uninstall, open the readme's and re-install following the directions exactly.

known conflicts are automata (vehicles) in which you replace a default vehicle (firetruck, police car, etc.) with 2 or more replace .dats can or will cause a CTD.

Terrain mods (meadowshire, etc.) will need other files in order to run properly or cause a CTD

other mods that alter rocks, grass, water or beach textures. you can only have ONE of each installed at any given time (SHK HD Rock Mod for example, you can only choose one rock texture, not all or 5 or suffer a CTD)

AC Functional Airport must be installed precisely, known mod for CTD if installed improperly.

there are others i'm sure but do as Nonny Moose says

Edited by chimeran, 15 September 2012 - 01:50 AM.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. -- Winston Churchill

A philosopher once said, ‘When faced with untenable alternatives you should consider your imperative. War is our imperative. And if right now victory seems like an impossibility, then we have something else to reach for: revenge, payback.' -- Helena Cain, Battlestar Galactica Razor

"We'll be in too close for nukes. Same thing goes for missiles. No, this is going to be strictly a gun battle. Like two old ships on the line, slugging it out at point-blank range. I want the gun captains to do their job and start firing immediately and to continue to fire until they run out of ammo. Then, I want them to start throwing rocks." -- William Adama, Battlestar Galactica

#7 Zodicus

Zodicus
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Yea there is an issue with that. Plugins cause 90% of crashes and the symptoms the original poster lists is synonamous with a plugin conflict.

#8 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Colleagues, we still have little information from the OP. Everyone is making unwarranted assumptions.

The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
JohnNewSig.gif

#9 dzekins

dzekins

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

if its plugins than, make a new folder somwhere, and take out few mods, start the game and see if it goes, if it still dosnt go, remove few more, do this until the game launches, than just slowly put the mods back until you see which one made the crash

#10 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

That is one possible solution to what may be the problem. If on the other hand his game version number is 1,1,613,0 what would you suggest then???

I am afraid that if conclusions were a stick out the window, many people would have leapt to their deaths.

JohnNewSig.gif

#11 The Pennsylvania Turnpike

The Pennsylvania Turnpike
  • Craptasticjack2
  • LocationAllentown, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

1st You need SC4 Rush hour or sim city 4 Deluxe. I have the sim city Box which is the Best Deal.
2nd you need Windows XP or above. (I bet you have it)
3rd Make sure you have enough RAM. and memory aswell as enough space for the plugins
This is me and not you. My awesome youtube Account www.youtube.com/user/craptasticjack SimCityDefined.com http://www.simcitydefined.com/#!home/mainPage

#12 chimeran

chimeran

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

if its plugins than, make a new folder somwhere, and take out few mods, start the game and see if it goes, if it still dosnt go, remove few more, do this until the game launches, than just slowly put the mods back until you see which one made the crash

but what about interdependent mods ? i don't know about the others but i know meadowshire needs CPT3 and CPT4 terrain textures to be installed or you will CTD
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. -- Winston Churchill

A philosopher once said, ‘When faced with untenable alternatives you should consider your imperative. War is our imperative. And if right now victory seems like an impossibility, then we have something else to reach for: revenge, payback.' -- Helena Cain, Battlestar Galactica Razor

"We'll be in too close for nukes. Same thing goes for missiles. No, this is going to be strictly a gun battle. Like two old ships on the line, slugging it out at point-blank range. I want the gun captains to do their job and start firing immediately and to continue to fire until they run out of ammo. Then, I want them to start throwing rocks." -- William Adama, Battlestar Galactica

#13 jacksunny

jacksunny
  • jacksunny
  • LocationLeduc County, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

^Then ensure they are all being taken out at the same time. The method described by dzenkins is the best for finding plugin conflicts.

Further discussion in this thread should be stopped until we get a response from the OP. We're just going to confuse him/her.

Posted Image

#14 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Seems that those who know the least say the most.

JohnNewSig.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crashes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users