• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Genoa and Highland

suburbs american sprawl 5 star cj genoa highland
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Table of Contents: Highland

Most Recent Update

Teaser

Update 1

Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

Update 5

Update 6

Update 7

Update 8

Update 9

Update 10

Update 11

Update 12

Update 13

Update 14

Update 15

Update 16

Update 17

Update 18

Update 19

Genoa:

Update 1

Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

Update 5

---
Welcome to the Genoa metropolitan area! These next few posts will be the CJ entries from the new section. Everything is being moved over to the forums section.

Posted Image

I am glad to announce that I have made a new City Journal! Genoa is a fictional city in the North-Eastern U.S. It is surrounded by suburbs, trees, and farmland. Here are a few pictures of the downtown area.
Posted Image

Tallest building in the city:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The city hall:
Posted Image

Some old, historic buildings.
Posted Image

The harbor/port.
Posted Image

These are Genoa's ongoing gridded suburbs.
Posted Image

That's Genoa! So Rate and Comment Posted Image
[/i][/b]

Edited by jack3oh3, 19 June 2012 - 08:29 PM.

My Name was Jack3oh3, Captain Jack3oh3.
Posted Image
My Omnibus Article | How to Post Pictures
Genoa and Highland (On long break) | Cambridge (Retired CJ)

#2 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

(Replies from the update in the New Section, everything is being moved over)
Posted Image

The city just started building a new university about 5 minutes from downtown Genoa. Genoa University is going to be very expensive to get into. It is already looking really nice! It is opening up new areas for retail stores and bumping up the desirability for new homes. Great highway access is helpful for students visiting home over break.
Posted Image

Across from the university some a new subdivision is being built by the beach. The beachfront property will be quite expensive.
Posted Image

This building right here is the city's newspaper building. It is so technologically advanced that some readers get the newspaper on their Kindle or iPad!
Posted Image

Today, the fog and rain is slowing the construction near the highway. It is closed while an overpass is being reconstructed. Some noise walls will be added to the new subdivision too.
Posted Image

But by tomorrow, the rain will be gone and the planes will fly again! This is the Genoa Regional Airport. To go international, travellers must fly to New York, then get on another plane to get to their destination.
Posted Image

(As you can see, I'm not much of an airport maker. Please do not complain about it.:))
--

The airport and beach development has caused the need for a new school. Pineview Elementary School serves much of the new neighborhoods.
Posted Image

(This was just uploaded to the stex when I was about to publish this update!)

A popular beach in the Genoa Metropolitan Area is North Beach. But it is rarely ever crowded because it is usually cold in Northern Viatica. Take a look at their slogan.
Posted Image

Enjoy swimming there! Rate and Comment! 0:)

Edited by jack3oh3, 06 December 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Schulmanator

Schulmanator
  • LocationThe Heart of Schulmania
Awards

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Awesome! I like it. :ducky: :ducky: :ducky:

cj_SIGLINE_2.jpgSchulmania: Purr-suing purr-fection since 2006...

Schulmania [ Volume 1 ] [ Volume 2 ] [ Volume 3 ] [ Website ] [ Blog ]

Harar, a Schulmania presentation

Evean Vansop, a Schulmania presentation

#4 packersfan

packersfan
  • LocationWest Allis, WI / Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Awards

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

Good idea to move it to the forum area. Some people look at both sections or one section or the other, so having it in every place possible will get it maximum exposure!

#5 emperordaniel

emperordaniel
  • LocationSochi, Krasnodar Krai, Russian Federation
Awards

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

Pretty cool, though I also advise keeping your CJ in the CJ section as well ;)

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination!

Favorite Webcomics:

anti-HEROES - by Chris Hudzieczko, Alexander Hollins, and Jordan Quigley                         Irregular Webcomic! - by David Morgan-Mar

Darths and Droids - by The Comic Irregulars                                                                              The Order of the Stick - by Rich Burlew

Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes - by Tarol Hunt                                                                      Scandinavia and the World - by Humon

Gunnerkrigg Court - by Tom Siddell

#6 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thanks, I moved it over here because of that troll. I will probably continue it in the new section too. My Internet is down right now so I had to post this from my cell phone. It went out right as I was about to post the next update, but I should have it up later this afternoon.

Posted Image

#7 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

Posted Image

Replies:

emperordaniel: Thanks!

Koenieboy997: Thanks, they are included in the SAM.

cjwillis96: Well thank you.

anaratkovicSC4: I have the Riverside Beach Mod by March, but those beach lots are by the ISAT team on the stex.

pielover94: Haha, thanks. It would be a little cold up there.

bwong: Thanks, and see the comment below.

Efkin: Thanks. I think there will be an update on runway expansion. :lol:

simmytu: Thank you!

Welcome to the first update in the Old CJ Section! Updates will be shorter, but more frequent! For example, an update may be just a mosaic. But more will probably come the next day.

South of Genoa is a suburb called Riverview. The name is obviously because it is near a river, the Freeport River (Later). This is a mosaic of some suburbs and the intersection of Route 19 and Golf Road. Route 19 goes straight through downtown Genoa and ends right at the waterfront. Golf Road is a major retail corridor that connects Riverview and Genoa Heights. The name comes from a golf course in Genoa Heights where the road begins.

Posted Image

Right now, a road extension project is going on. A street that connects suburban neighborhoods, Kirk Road, is being extended to meet Sundown Avenue, a suburban road with lots of commercial potential. This is Kirk Road.
Posted Image

This is Sundown Avenue.
Posted Image

This is the extension route.
Posted Image

Near Sundown Avenue, Riverview has a small zoo.
Posted Image

This is a subdivision near Kirk Road
Posted Image

Hope you liked Riverview! More of it and a region shot are coming soon! :golly:

Edited by jack3oh3, 22 December 2011 - 01:54 AM.

Posted Image

#8 packersfan

packersfan
  • LocationWest Allis, WI / Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Awards

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Great city there, looks like a very lovely place. Just an idea for your picture presentation: It seems you turned up the sharpness on the pictures and it seems a little too sharp, maybe tone that down, maybe even blur just a tiny bit. Just an idea. Keep up the great work!

#9 emperordaniel

emperordaniel
Awards

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

Terrific job! I really like the way you present your cities :) Perhaps you should post this update in your CJ forum on the USNW site as well, as that's what it's for ;)

(\__/)

Favorite Webcomics:

anti-HEROES - by Chris Hudzieczko, Alexander Hollins, and Jordan Quigley                         Irregular Webcomic! - by David Morgan-Mar

Darths and Droids - by The Comic Irregulars                                                                              The Order of the Stick - by Rich Burlew

Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes - by Tarol Hunt                                                                      Scandinavia and the World - by Humon

#10 Fox

Fox
  • Yuppie

• 1,495 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Awards

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

Nice update ... glad to see lots of parking around the place.. adds a little realism.

Congrats on joining the USNW as well.

:blush:

#11 pielover94

pielover94
  • LocationBelleville,Il

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

:D
And this is Where I would put my signature.

If I had one!

#12 Koenieboy997

Koenieboy997
  • LocationNijmegen

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Great city! I like the style, looks very american.
I've got a question about North Beach. Which beach mods (and lots) do you use? And where did you get the beach huts and parasols? I can't find the proper beach mods and lots, so can you please help me?

#13 brenn21

brenn21

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

This is looking quite nice... and right up my alley as far as CJ's go

#14 rewright

rewright
  • LocationCharleston, SC
Awards

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Very nice updates with a lot of content. One of the things that caught my eye was the great job with the various walls; they really look wonderful. :thumb:
Simtropolis Signature - Oakland County SCFAN
Come visit: Oakland County - Fort Logan

2011 Trixi Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you to all the members who have created the custom content that has made the game what it is today.

#15 PluginFun

PluginFun
  • LocationSt Louis, Missouri, USA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

How did you get those roundabouts? Realistic house construction? Highway walls? Nicer looking highways? All so delicious! I love it! :D

#16 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

My laptop is being fixed and it will take at least a week. :( Replies and more Genoa coming soon. For now, it's off to the forum games for me! :lol:

Posted Image

#17 nathanthemayor

nathanthemayor
  • LocationFresno,California,USA
Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Nice suburbs there!I like those first two photos, how you managed to just focus in on a small area...

Click the Links to visit my:
City Journals Dante's Peak *Inactive*,
Paridise Island V2The United Cites *Inactive*
Workshops: BATs *Inactive*, Lots *Inactive*
Show me Your RoadsignsRoadless Cities, or Transit Hubs/Centers!
Other Significant LinksSTEX Uploads, City Journal Fog Tutorial

#18 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hey everyone, Genoa will be updated ASAP. Best Buy couldn't get my laptop fixed before the holidays, but by now it should be done. On my new laptop, I started fresh on everything and started making a new city. I'm pretty sure that I will make a CJ about it, too. But maybe not. For now it has now name... Take a look!
Posted Image

It says coming soon, but it won't be very soon at all. I'll be mostly playing on Genoa, and playing on New City as a side project. It is going to be a city with a medium-sized population with fun waterways, rivers, and resorts.

When I get the laptop back, Genoa's updates will pick up right where they left off. But, because of the long time without my laptop, the region shot will have to be pushed back a bit. So anyway, Genoa will be coming back as soon as possible and I already have an update in mind. Go ahead and comment on the new city if you'd like or if you have any name suggestions! ;)

Posted Image

#19 goobstar

goobstar

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

where did you get those awesome parking lots!!! they are sick and i could really use them.
i just discovered simcity 4 mods last week, so i decided to find the disk and install it after about 2 years of collecting dust...:golly:

#20 9988

• Bureaucrat

• 1,162 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
Awards

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Very nice rain effect on the teaser. Glad to have you in USNW. :ducky:

9988 - The Republic of Greater Morsco
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image
Replies:
Packersfan: Thanks! I sometimes go a little overboard with the sharpen+contrast. :lol:
Emperordaniel: Thanks, Highland updates are now posted a day earlier at USNW.
Fox: Thank you!
Pielover94: Thanks :D
Koenieboy997: Thanks, the beach mod I used in Genoa was the Riverside Beach Mod by Marsh. The lots were the beach lots by the ISAT team on the stex, and the beach huts are by Heblem on the STEX.
Brenn21: Thanks!
Rewright: Thanks, I'm glad you noticed the little details.
PluginFun: Thanks, the roundabouts are included in the NAM. If you're asking where I got the other things, just send me a PM. :)
Nathanthemayor: Thanks!
Goobstar: Thanks! Parking lots here.
9988: Thanks, I'm glad to be in it.

Welcome to Highland! Highland is city near Genoa with nice weather, beautiful water, and many tourist attractions. Throughout this CJ, I will be showing the Greater Highland area and its progress in many things like population, tourism, economy, etc.

Update 1: Introduction

This is downtown Highland. Gridlock is not uncommon here. The city's Department of Transit wants to expand the roads, but they don't have enough space between all the buildings.
Posted Image

Here's one of the worst intersections during rush hour.
Posted Image

Aside from all the traffic problems, most people enjoy downtown Highland. It is filled with high-rise office towers and luxury condos.
Posted Image

This is the city hall. Highland has a very organized and specific city government. It is divided into several departments with officials elected by the citizens of the city.
Posted Image

Highland is divided by a river creatively named the Highland River.
Posted Image

All the bridges are raised so residents can easily bring their boat out into the ocean. Boating is one of the most popular things to do in Highland. There are several public marinas in the city, including one downtown.
Posted Image

This is the mayor's house. With the help of all of his department officials, he runs the city. His house is located right on the Highland river. Every mayor has a new house built for them in a different neighborhood near the Highland River.
Posted Image

One of the most interesting stories in Highland is McCarthy Farm. The McCarthy's were a family in Highland that started a farm in the early 1900's. Each generation of their family kept taking care of the farm. In the 1940's the city persisted on buying their land for developing. They would not sell. Now, it is open to the public as a little museum for city kids who know nothing about farms.
Posted Image

A teaser for the next update:
Posted Image

Make sure you comment!

Edited by jack3oh3, 17 January 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

#22 emperordaniel

emperordaniel
Awards

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Looks awesomely great! :D

(\__/)

Favorite Webcomics:

#23 poiuy1208

poiuy1208

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Very nice city. It looks realistic. I really like the skyline. Not too overwhelmed with skyscrapers, but just right.

#24 Fox

Fox
  • Yuppie

• 1,495 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Love the aerial view of the down town .. very quaint.

I believe you when you say the traffic can be bad on the single lane roads .. perhaps convert them to one-ways might help congestion.

:blush:

#25 SkyscraperTower Building

SkyscraperTower Building
  • LocationNear Hamburg, Germany
Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Cool

Programmes I use:

53bd1e4eedb215d15ee454581e41a9a0.jpgfaed0bf7fd7009fe2199237c8ccec9c5.jpg

"I don't deserve any credit for turning the other cheek as my tongue is always in it"

- Flannery O'Connor -

#26 TMorgan

TMorgan
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Very cool! Very realistic. :)

#27 SimCoug

SimCoug
  • STEX Moderator
  • Squadron Leader

• 1,662 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Awards

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

The use of the farm is very creative, I like it.

SimCoug's Stuff: CJ - Lots - Mods

#28 Jack³

Jack³
  • Jack3OH3
  • LocationElgin, Il, USA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Replies:

Emperordaniel: Thank you!

Poiuy1208: Thanks, I'm glad you noticed that.

Fox: Thank you, something is going to be done about those roads!

Skyscraper241: Thanks, haha.

TMorgan: Thank you!

SimCoug: Thanks, the idea for the farm was pretty random. :)

Update 2: Wicked Timber!

The Wicked Timber is a roller-coaster park in the southern part of Highland. Full size pic!
Posted Image

The area is a booming commercial area with offices and stores all over the place. Even hotels are sprouting in the area.
Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course, a city as famous as Highland must have a sports stadium or two. This is United Cellular Field, where soccer is played in soccer season, and sometimes, hockey in the winter!
Posted Image

And to all of you readers and lurkers : Make sure you comment! :)

Edited by jack3oh3, 26 January 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

#29 rewright

rewright
  • LocationCharleston, SC
Awards

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

The roller-coaster is a very nice touch. It will draw a lot of people to the area.
Simtropolis Signature - Oakland County SCFAN
Come visit: Oakland County - Fort Logan

2011 Trixi Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you to all the members who have created the custom content that has made the game what it is today.

#30 emperordaniel

emperordaniel
Awards

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Cool roller coaster! :)

(\__/)

Favorite Webcomics:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suburbs, american, sprawl, 5 star cj, genoa, highland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users