• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Disasters

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 etahn54

etahn54
  • LocationNOT TELLING

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

OK how about some storm, war etc.

Weather problems yes, war no. We are peaceniks.

War belongs in the shoot 'em ups. Inappropriate for city building.

OK.

#62 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
  • You've got to be kidding!
  • LocationHensall, Ontario, Canada
Awards

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

In my city, I would not have any oppressive laws, therefore there should be no reason to riot.

Well, you see, some gods are ornery. They like suppressing riots and otherwise oppressing their Sims. After all, have to show them who is the boss.

Ornery gods go out of fashion pretty quickly. Anyone seen a temple to Jupiter lately?

Small, Fast and Free: Linux is the program for me.
The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
JohnNewSig.gif
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly

Come join us at the Moose Factory

#63 Simtropofan

Simtropofan
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

One that came to my mind (not sure if recommonded yet) - landslides or an avalanche!!

#64 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Fine, if you have slopes of the proper grade. How about thixotropic shore lines that liquefy during earth quakes.

The teacher opens the door but the student must enter himself. - Ancient Chinese Saying
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. -- Victor Hugo
JohnNewSig.gif

#65 Ralraf

Ralraf
  • LocationThe earth

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

I want Tsunami!!

#66 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I want Tsunami!!

Need an ocean front to get them. I am not sure the scale of this or any other game really allows for this.

JohnNewSig.gif

#67 Ralraf

Ralraf
  • LocationThe earth

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

You create a quake in a ocean, Tsunami comes.

#68 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

You create a quake in a ocean, Tsunami comes.

The quake doesn't even have to be in the ocean. However, you do need an ocean. How do you calculate the physics of this when you are in a game with not much shore line. You have to extrapolate the ocean. If you want to blow your city, just obliterate it. Same effect.

JohnNewSig.gif

#69 SC4PC

SC4PC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

There should be more realistic events such as tsunami's and wars but things like termites attacking your plants would be a bit too realistic I mean it's Simcity not Farm Simulator.
And the part about being attacked by another city is cool but if you spent months building a financial-metropolis but don't have an army you would be pretty pissed if you lost it.

#70 Buggi

Buggi
  • Clerk of Red Tape

• 2,646 posts
Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Termites will be a keystone disaster. A tree farm could be hit with a blight of termites, for example.

For a landslide, that one would be tough. You'd have to calculate new land-height data based on a multitude of difficult variables and then figure out how to animate the effect. No way could you simulate all that in real-time.

The foundational limitation to all disasters is how much is changed in the city. Earthquakes, for example, could alter the land significantly. But you'd have to run physics on everything in the game, which can number in the millions. If you want to see something in real-time it is difficult to calculate something so destructive in just a few milliseconds.

Game engines are incredibly complex. Every piece of the game has a budget of time for its step. If you want a minimum of 30 FPS to the user, then the entire back-end has to simulate and render a frame every 33 milliseconds, that's not a whole lot of time. When you fork the processes into their own threads you still have to sync the parts up into a cohesive whole, also not an easy thing to do. The bottom line is when a disaster is triggered, how much change has to be propagated into every part of the engine. If one house explodes, then that is a simple update, if 300 houses go boom as well as multiple transit links and terrain deformation, that is a exponentially more complex process. If you do all this in real time, like a tsunami wave, then you still have hundreds of objects being updated and checked. A process that can bring any computer to its knees if not done correctly.

Also, there will be no wars. A city-builder is not a war sim. There will, however, be military buildings you can put into a city. Some will even have war-like function. A missile silo could be used to squash a zombie outbreak, for example. :-)

Edited by Buggi, 27 July 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Boomtown is my baby, but it takes a village to raise it.

"Those who build Glassboxes shouldn't throw stones." -Me

#71 Mark Waybill

Mark Waybill
  • LocationWollongong, New South Wales

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

I would like to see realistic disasters like plagues, blights, epidemics, weather related disasters such as cyclones and hail, etc, and also plenty of 'spocial disasters' like riots and crime waves etc

It would be nice to have realistic cliff physics so that erosion could take place, and also if volcanoes could erupt naturally, the same with floods etc.

Floods are a must. Simcity 2000 beats 4 in that regard, and Simcity 2000 was released almost two decades ago now

#72 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Let's not overdo it. The simulation of the every day life plus getting the graphics engine going will be good for openers. Disasters should be simple for openers, but could be added in an update later.

JohnNewSig.gif

#73 Mark Waybill

Mark Waybill

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yeah I was putting my 'ideal finished end product' disaster list in, naturally I'm not putting them as high priority suggestions.

#74 Buggi

Buggi
  • Clerk of Red Tape

• 2,646 posts
Awards

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

It's good to think of disasters early in the design phase, it allows the back-end to be build with the proper 'hooks' for the scripting engine to then work its magic.
I downloaded the latest UDK (Unreal Dev Kit) and am tinkering with it to see if I can prototype using the free version. I'd hate to have to custom build an engine from scratch for Boomtown, that task is beyond my abilities, budget, and time.

Sigh...

#75 Mark Waybill

Mark Waybill

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think that if at the end of the day we can have floods with realistic water flow I'd be happy to spend my free time flooding virtual cities. As I don't have much spare time I wouldn't put it as a priority high up but I think the general physics of terrain and weather should allow for at least good water flow. One thing that was really lacking in 4 was creeks, freshwater, floods etc.

#76 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Aha! Now I get it. You want to go fishing!

Actually, multi-level water tables allow a lot of good things like hydro power.

JohnNewSig.gif

#77 Mark Waybill

Mark Waybill

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh, did you mean by multi level water tables having water at different altitudes? I thought you meant the water table itself having multiple levels, like salinity or something lol

#78 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh, did you mean by multi level water tables having water at different altitudes? I thought you meant the water table itself having multiple levels, like salinity or something lol

I hadn't even considered salinity. Now if we were going to have a Salmon fishery ...

JohnNewSig.gif

#79 Patricius Maximus

Patricius Maximus
Awards

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Obviously disasters are low priority, but they are part of any Simcity game, so we should have some disasters in this game, even if they're just added in at a later date (maybe a grassroots version of an expansion pack.) Of the Simcity 4 set, fire, tornadoes, lightning, and earthquakes are essential. I'd definitely add in floods to this one.

I'd also like to chime in with an idea: while I would like to have weather factor into the simulation at some point, I think it would be cool to have a "blizzard" disaster. Most blizzards factor into mere weather but an extreme, crippling blizzard (the blizzard disaster) could drain the funds of the city and halt all building activity for a while. We could even have big snowdrifts on the side of buildings. That would be great. Droughts and forest fires would factor into that same tack as well.

Also, some of the more whimsical disasters like rioting, train crashes, and sinking ferries could be added in. I'd really like to see a ferry sink :P .

Hurricanes and hurricane-force windstorms could also have an effect, but I suppose that would all tie into a weather feature.

As for the war idea, I could see an artillery barrage or something, but generally it's not an area that is germane to city building. As for the tsunami, that would be neat and would tie into the same sort of simulating as a flood would have to have.

For boats sinking, I think it would be neat to have one of those ferocious maritime storms come up (pouring rain, hurricane-force winds) and cause many boats to sink all over the region, and maybe wash a few up onto the beach.

All of this can be taken care of later, and could form a component of a weather aspect of the simulation.

I'd like to also point out that customization is essential. We need to have these buttons if we're going to have disasters and weather:

- All disasters and weather off
- Weather with no disasters
- Weather with only the weather-related disasters
- Weather and all the other disasters
- Only the other disasters and no weather

#80 Avskygod0

Avskygod0

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Big explosions you say? Well,make a disaster that does this:

Edited by Avskygod0, 13 August 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#81 Buggi

Buggi
  • Clerk of Red Tape

• 2,646 posts
Awards

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

@Patricius Maximus have you read the design document?

@Avskygod, that wasn't one big explosion but dozens of small ones. Nice effect though. :)

My main goal with disasters though is to get floods back in the game. Secondary to that would be damable rivers. The crux of the entire system is the terrain though. With terraformable dynamic terrain creating a system to handle rivers is a nightmare.

#82 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Buggi, I am sure you now know why multi-level water isn't in the original game. This alone will make BT well worth the effort if we can ever get it off the ground. A region with multi-level water is going to have at least three levels of encapsulated objects just for that. Just getting a layout of the region is going to be a SOB. Water, of course, becomes a resource called the water table. Such fun.

JohnNewSig.gif

#83 Avskygod0

Avskygod0

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

PIRATES add them they come and steal your moneys and houses :ninja:

#84 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

^ You could be made to walk the plank.

JohnNewSig.gif

#85 14 Innocent Sims

14 Innocent Sims
  • 14 Innocent Sims
  • LocationPluto, The Milky Way

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

1 thing i hope the game has is that when disasters strike buildings dont just collapse just like they did in simcity societies. im hoping for damage that can be like doe example if a tree fell on a house i can tell a tree fell on it instead of just a pile of rubble.

#86 Fanoboy

Fanoboy
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

Earthquakes that affact buildings and stuff outside of the line if stronger, Stronge hurricanes, Floods Tusnami, Massive Snow Storms

#87 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I believe that the game specifies, in addition to construction phases, destruction phases as well. If not, these should be added.

JohnNewSig.gif

#88 Jim14409

Jim14409
  • LocationArkansas USA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Maybe I'm missing something (I don't think so) but I don't have any interest in disasters other than those created with my bulldozer. Instead of torturing my sims when they become intolerable or their traffic is a wreck, I just obliterate them and re-build on their ashes. I suppose I could consider erecting a memorial though huh?

#89 A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose
Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

There certainly are echoes of sadomasochism in the idea of causing disasters. I must be the 'Caligula' in all of us. He used to kill people for amusement.

The only disasters I am interested in are natural ones, and they should be automatic given the nature of the city and its environment. Simulating tectonic plate movement for earthquakes and volcanoes is probably more than Buggi would like to handle, but weather caused problems like blizzars, floods, land/mud slides, etc. might be possible by generating the weather 'report' off line and just reporting the results.

JohnNewSig.gif

#90 Megaopolisbuilder54

Megaopolisbuilder54
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I highly recommend this types of for the new Sim City disasters hurricanes,tornadoes,fire disaster,floods,earthquakes,valcano disaster,snow,UFOs, and storms or blizzards.no dinosaurs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users