• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Anotns Gotham Salmagundi.

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 anotn

anotn
  • Backpacker

• 119 posts
  • LocationNorrland
Awards

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

T Wrecks: Wow, thanks. :) 139 Spring street will be a 1x2 lot.
Aaron graham: Thanks, yes, a few different versions of this buiding would be nice, so it's highly likely it will be that way. :)
raynev1: Thanks, hopefully you won't have to wait for too long. :)

Modeling is almost done, a few things here and there that need some attention.
The two views that shows anything interesting at this point.
Posted ImagePosted Image

And for fun a street level POV.
Posted Image

#92 Aaron Graham

Aaron Graham
  • LocationAaron City
Awards

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Looks fantasic, I can't wait for the texture. :D

nybtthread.jpgagthread.jpg

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy -Za

#93 darn42

darn42
  • LocationChicago, IL
Awards

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Mmmmm, details. Tasty.

Come check out my portfolio

Posted Image

And here's some simcity related stuff.

Chicago BAT Thread: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/49886-chicago-bat-project/
My Tutorials: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/49966-3ds-max-mixed-modeling-tutorials/

#94 Jasoncw

Jasoncw
  • STEX Moderator
  • Simtrop Fanatic

• 8,478 posts
  • LocationDetroit, US
Awards

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Looks great!!

#95 anotn

anotn
  • Backpacker

• 119 posts
  • LocationNorrland
Awards

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thanks guys. :)

A little update.
Posted Image

Aaron said earlier that I should do some alternative coloured versions of this, does anyone have any suggestions on colours?

#96 Vlasky

Vlasky
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia
Awards

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I have to say that the metal part of the cornice is somehow looking brand new, that is too bright, that's not final texture, right? Oh and the bricks, although I appreciate variation in color of them, I must say, they look sort-of too prominent, so I'm just guessing here, lower contrast? But I'm not sure if you can actually even do that since those look like bricks from Arch & Design, can you?

Anyhow, I am sorry all those amazing details you did don't show up in sc4 render :( Lovely work on this building, and as for color variation, I just don't have any ideas.
Me likey Anyhow :)

#97 Francis90b

Francis90b
Awards

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Me likey much of it, but not the back bricks, nor the front facade material.

"Bricks" on the back resemble much more one piece of particle board, like that:

Posted Image

This is, generally speaking, not realistic at all.Most buildings don't actually have a variability in their bricks that would justify such effect.

Many buildings have brick with no strong contrast between them (most brick buildings).Their overall colour, even from a reasonably close distance, would be mostly uniform.

Some have bricks of (slightly) different colours alternated in order to convey an enrichment into the overall colour, or a gradient (good example, the building where they filmed Ghostbusters - built with bricks of two tones, a reddish one and a yellow one - the idea was to convey a "gradient", the building was to rise to a pinkish/ purple-ish colour to yellow as it went up), but the effect would be, generally speaking, quite uniform even if seen
from far closer than a SC4 perspective.

Some other have bricks of strongly different colours placed together at random - you might find them, but they're not as common as the other two types.

One brick-making method for BATs i've observed seem to produce an overexxageration of the third situation i described (in the statement just above this one).
Some people seem to consider this as an appropriate way to translate bricks - and to think that any brick surface, no matter it's real character and appearence, could be rendered into this "dotted slurry" surface.

Some reason claimed by those who adopt this method is that the scale of SC4 makes necessary to make some changes into reality to adapt it into another universe, and this method is a good and realistic one to solve this problem.

What we use on BATs are textures - and a throrough look at the definition of texture should warn us about what a texture should or should not be:

a : something composed of closely interwoven elements; specifically : a woven cloth
b : the structure formed by the threads of a fabric

a : essential part : substance
b : identifying quality : character

a : the disposition or manner of union of the particles of a body or substance
b : the visual or tactile surface characteristics and appearance of something <the texture of an oil painting>

a : a composite of the elements of prose or poetry <all these words…meet violently to form a texture impressive and exciting — John Berryman>
b : a pattern of musical sound created by tones or lines played or sung together

a : basic scheme or structure
b : overall structure

(from the online version of the Merriam-webster dictionary)

A good look at this definition, and some self.criticism, can perhaps help there.
A texture for a BAt is exacty that, an image that should convey the visual appearence of a material or a surface - it should therefore, in order to be considered as valid and successful, bring things closer to reality, not represent a strong departure from it - like some particle board "bricks", applied even in top quality BATs, and by some top quality BATers, are - then, and this is perhaps an unnecessary sting into my post, but my aim is to give food for thinking, some of those people, and some of those approving their methods, fall among those who would go enormous lenghts to find the exact fourth decimal in the IOR for this or that material....

Some other people commenting on it appreciate the "feel" of it, which they consider "variegated" - from the above you can see that this perception is not necessarily true...then, there's the bit where it says that people are entitled to have an opinion, and believe in what they want to believe -this is something i can't question.
However, even if no one can question my belief that at some point a superior entity put dinos to the earth to provide amusement for mankind, is this likely to be true? Probably not.
But here's the little bit - if i believe that absurd thing i wrote just above, it's just between me and me.

Other than the back bricks, i think the front brickwork and stonework is suffering from the opposite ill - lack of definition, and therefore, of "texture".

#98 Vlasky

Vlasky
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia
Awards

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Fran, my dear, you should win a Nobel prize for commenting! I LOVE YOU MAN!!! :*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users