52 replies to this topic

#31 spa

spa
  • Urban Architect

• 2,510 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS, Canada
Awards

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Haven't played Civ5 yet, but I really love Civ 4. Hard for me to imagine a replacement for Civ 4 as, to me, it's close to perfection. Surprised to see so many Civ 3 fans in this thread. I never could get into Civ 3. The corruption aspect of the game was so crippling on larger maps that it made conquering distant neighbours pointless, even with communism. That just sapped all the fun out of it for me and going around with trade caravans and workers to scrub pollution was really tedious. For me, after Civ 4, it's actually Civ 2!

#32 luuk2305

luuk2305
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have played Civ IV, Civ III, Civ II, and even Civ I. And still, I don't have Civ 5. What a shame... anyway, I have no plans buying it. I like Simcity more :)

#33 Epicbuilder333

Epicbuilder333

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I just bought Civ 5 on steam during the winter sale, because back in may there was a free trail of it and I LOVED It.

#34 Linoa06

Linoa06
  • LocationKöln ..
Awards

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Civ 5 is awesome - different, but awesome.

I've played the series ever since Civ 2, though, so it's really a matter of personal taste. I still enjoy Civ 4 very much, in fact the two icons are side by side on my desktop.

"The Enrichment Center warns you that the Companion Cube does not speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disreguard its advice."

Traebia - New CJ! Be sure to feed me back :D

CiM Exchange -- the best CiM related fansite around :D

#35 The Avatar

The Avatar
  • LocationGilbert, AZ
Awards

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I bought the Gods and Kings expansion recently for a great deal on Steam. I hope to get into it soon and try out the new features. 

Beginnings-part-1-and-2-banner_zps09921c

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change" - Aang

█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

Brain loading. Please wait...

#36 Urban Cartographer

Urban Cartographer
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Update: Civ V: Brave New World will be released on July.

What do you think of it?  I am neutral.

#37 Rufus Honker IV

Rufus Honker IV
  • Pittsburghmuggle
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

I've made my peace with Civ V. 

My only problem is they seem to be slowly stepping on naming cities and cultures.  I was able to always name my civilization "The Aardvarkiaan Empire" but it doesn't give you as many spaces as before.  Cities have to be renamed after they are placed - I ALWAYS choose my own city names.  (My capital is always "Dresbach" - first by water: "Roga Bay", first by desert: "Last Gas").

I recognize most people really don't care what their cities or culture are named, but they should have options to always have your culture named X no matter which race you choose, and they ought to give you the option of naming you cities before they are founded - my endgame recaps, (because I can only rename after founding) when playing as America goes like this:

Washington is founded.

Washington is founded.
Washington is founded.

Washington is founded.

Washington is founded.

(and so on)

Oh, and I don't like the removal of the ""always war" and "always peace" advanced options.  Always war was the only way to stop the other civilizations from talking to you.  I'd LOVE an "Isolationist" option which stops the other civs from bothering you with diplomacy.

#38 euverus

euverus

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Update: Civ V: Brave New World will be released on July.

What do you think of it?  I am neutral.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, I've been playing Civ V since release and need something new.

#39 szieker

szieker
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

All Civ V content (Game, GnK, all DLC) is on super sale this weekend on steam, if you are missing anything.  

Rollercoaster tycoon 3 platinum is too, as a side note.

#40 OcramSeattle

OcramSeattle
  • LocationGreater Seattle Area

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

I finally bought Civilization V. I never played it before (only civ4) but I got Gold Edition for 75% off on a Daily Deal for the Steam Summer Sale. --Ocram

#41 Linoa06

Linoa06
  • LocationKöln ..
Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Civ4 is simply the most amazing and brain-taking strategy game ever. After 5 years i still could not master it. Civ4 probably made me way more intelligent. Civ5 is trash, at least for us veterans. Civ4 all the damn way!

It's not trash, it's simply different. Because something is different doesn't mean it's trash. It requires different strategies and is actually quite challenging, but it is not trash. Unless you paid for a game that won't save and that you can't play offline, I don't see why you'd name it as trash. Then again, perhaps your mindset, too, is trash. :)

I'm a Civilization veteran, and I am finally happy that you don't need to spam roads through your territory and actually have to show some thinking for a change. Stacking units and diamond tiles can only keep you entertained for so long. (As I said, I like both games, they require different handling, which is a good thing when done right)

It's like Doctor Who vs. Star Trek or FF7 vs. FF13...those debates are pointless. Each game has its own flaws and also its own rewarding aspects, you can't say something is trash because it's not "Civilization 4 with better graphics". But oh well, it's the internet, everyone has definite and extreme opinions on everything. Makes you cooler or something, I don't know. Just keep in mind this isn't Congress here.

"The Enrichment Center warns you that the Companion Cube does not speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disreguard its advice."

Traebia - New CJ! Be sure to feed me back :D

CiM Exchange -- the best CiM related fansite around :D

#42 Urban Cartographer

Urban Cartographer

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Brave New World has some new leaders as well.

I cannot get Shaka's themes out of my head.  uShaka!

#43 Rufus Honker IV

Rufus Honker IV
  • Pittsburghmuggle
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm a Civilization veteran, and I am finally happy that you don't need to spam roads through your territory and actually have to show some thinking for a change. Stacking units and diamond tiles can only keep you entertained for so long. (As I said, I like both games, they require different handling, which is a good thing when done right)

I agree.  Even when Civ 5 was a newly-released sack of fail before it got patched and expansioned up, I thought the new combat system and hex map were refreshing.  And I like not having to place a road on every tile.  The worker AI is smarter than before, too.

#44 LexusInfernus

LexusInfernus
  • LexusInfernus

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yeah I got the all the expansions (including all the minor civilization ones) during the Steam Summer Sale and I have to say that with all the expansion this game has been turned into something amazing! 

Diplomacy with the world congress/UN is fun and its pretty interesting in trying to get as much votes as possible to get your stuff passed through it, and it brings some very interesting ways of hurting the other players. Or not, if you want to keep the peace with them. I also like how great people now make great works of art, and how that influences your civ's culture, rather than what it used to be. 

The combat system was always more interesting because of the lack of stacking, but I like that with all the expansions it results in having more units than before. I always thought that there was a lack of unit variety in the vanilla game. 

Eh, needless to say, I think its telling that I immediately sunk 50+ hours into the game the moment I got all the expansions. 

Come and witness the rise of Bostonia!

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/51414-the-rise-of-bostonia/

#45 Terring

Terring
  • Urban Architect

• 2,452 posts
  • /)^ε^(\
  • LocationNew Athens - Mars (23rd century, when Mars is terraformed and populated by ponies, dinosaurs and cyborgs)
Awards

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

New expansion for Civilization V coming fall 2014 - Beyond Earth

After a catastrophic event on Earth, humanity is forced to flee the planet and find ways to colonize alien worlds, form alliances, repel enemies, and determine the fate of all mankind.

2503748-rio_3.png

2503680-civbe_1.jpg

2503681-civbe_3.jpg

"If you try to please everypony, you often times end up pleasing nopony, especially yourself. When somepony offers to do you a favor, like making a mod for Simcity, you shouldn't be overly critical of something generously given to you. In other words, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth"
Twilight Sparkle

9470289599_fc468492fc_o.jpg
9470289497_d9c79b51b1_o.jpg

Terring's Terrible Lots - Barsoom Project

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides

#46 Ln X

Ln X
  • Bureaucrat

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationThe Great City in the Sky.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

No!!! It sounds like Alpha Centauri 2 but without Planet, without mindworms and...

Now with this expansion pack I don't think Alpha Centauri 2 will ever see the light of day. :(

ksq8.png

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

• Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

#47 LexusInfernus

LexusInfernus
  • LexusInfernus

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

I don't think its an expansion, but rather a completely new game. Though it seems clear that they are using the Civ 5 engine. 

Come and witness the rise of Bostonia!

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/51414-the-rise-of-bostonia/

#48 Snugies

Snugies
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

I don't like this "Beyond Earth" I think it should only be an extra to Civ 5 so instead of ending in 2050 you bring your civ into "Beyond Earth" but keeping the war going on earth too. Personally my favorite part of Civ 5 is the history aspect. I don't like how the game rushes through the ancient and classic eras as one turn is about 50 years or 100 years in those eras I don't agree with that at all. Alexanders army marched through the entire Persian empire in 10yrs. the Persian empire spanned over 5 civs including itself Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, and India. You can't march an army over the area of 5 civs in one turn in Civ 5. Also Rome must have spanned 10 civs and they achieved that by year 0, but good luck taking over 10 civs by year 0 in Civ 5 almost impossible even with praetorians. Next Rome split up into new civs after its collapse, so why can't new civs form in game in Civ5 through civil wars? Further no civil wars in Civ5 that's ridiculous as every civilization had regular civil wars. Instead you get barbarians spawn that do nothing no new civ formation out of a previous civ. Like how Byzantium formed from Rome, France from Rome, America from Britain, Britain from Celts, China from Mongolia etc.

#49 OcramSeattle

OcramSeattle
  • LocationGreater Seattle Area

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I just earned a few more badges after winning a cultural victory as Dido on a large archipeligo map on marathon length. I also like most of what I see about Civilization: Beyond Earth.

--Ocram

"Always do your best and you will always be better than the best in my eyes."--found on the Internet, modified by me.
"Words are words, explanations are explanations, but only performances matter."--forwarded from email, unmodified
"Ocram's Razor: Everything Ocram posts is as long winded and complex as possible, also prone to self disclosure. Opposite of Occam's Razor."--Paraphrased and reformatted by me

The above quotes describe my philosophy and the below links should help you when I don't.
The best place for Cities XL info is at The Cities XL Wiki!
Problems with Cities XL? Go to Cities XL Technical Issues or XLNation.net
Problems with SimCity 4? Go to SimCity 4 Technical Issues but no sections with CXL in their titles.
Want to learn more about game-play or other things not in the FAQ's of the above forums? Go to The Simtropolis Omnibus of Knowledge.
Please don't post confused threads in the wrong place.

#50 Snugies

Snugies
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yep Civ 5 is still fun to play. But as your nation gets larger (same with Civ 4) you can just steam roll the AI. This is why I've moved to Europa Universalis the combat is not as fun as Civ 5 but the realism is awesome.

#51 dubldrop

dubldrop
  • LocationMontreal QC

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Yep Civ 5 is still fun to play. But as your nation gets larger (same with Civ 4) you can just steam roll the AI. This is why I've moved to Europa Universalis the combat is not as fun as Civ 5 but the realism is awesome.

Normally this can be fixed by increasing the difficulty, unless of course you are a diety player. In which case you wouldnt be the first one to go over to EU4. For me whenever I get bored with the diety AI I just go play multiplayer for a while. Yeah, I hate the simultaneous turns especially during warfare, but you get used to it after a while 

#52 Urban Cartographer

Urban Cartographer

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

...or you can try playing against MadDjinn or TommyNT if you want.  Both said that Deity AI is too easy for them.

#53 dubldrop

dubldrop
  • LocationMontreal QC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Maddjinn doesnt play multiplayer though. I know some of PrimeEval's subs wanted him to play a game with MD, and to level out the playing field the rules would be proxy wars, where the human players couldnt declare war on eachother, but bribing the AI to war is acceptable. He must have turned it down though cause Prime did it with LC instead...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users