Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Simcity 4 Multiplayer Mode

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have made a similar topic back on SC4D here: http://sc4devotion.c...p?topic=11945.0

Imagine playing Simcity 4 with your friends in real time......
Imagine building your region with your friends..........
Imagine not having to scream when you lost your cities, plugins and more.......

That was a dream that seem impossible.........until now.....

Introducing.....( Drumroll )

Simcity 4 Multiplayer Mode

This idea is based on the idea I got from BlueHope The New Interactive Journal at http://bluehopecj.fr....org/index.php. Now, you can build cities with your friends and no more worries about losing your city, region, plugins and more. After days of testing (and watching "The World Only God Knows" and "Sora No Otoshimono" on Crunchyroll while waiting for the files to be uploded), the multiplayer is now live. We will be using Dropbox as the multiplayer network. Simply PM or email me at [email protected] with your email address, your SC4D or Simtropolis profile name and your name and I will send an invite to join the multiplayer. The invite will be sent within a day or two. Post here if you have any questions and issues.

How it works?

The Concept

The regions and plugins are located on Dropbox ( http://www.dropbox.com/ ) which allows for real-time sharing of files and folders. This means, when I save a file, the changes that I make are instantly sent to everyone sharing my file through online syncing. When I save a city file, the file is also updated on your PC so you can see my changes. The new shortcut that you created loads the region and plugins independently of your own region and plugins. This means you won’t have to worry about overwriting your plugins or having a super massive cluster of unnecessary plugins in your personal regions.

Installation Instructions

To get started, you need:

Windows XP,Vista or 7
Simcity 4 Deluxe or Rush Hour
Dropbox
512MB of RAM
2GB of hard disk space

Instructions ( For existing Dropbox users, skip to step 4 ):

1. Download Dropbox at http://www.dropbox.com/.
2. Install Dropbox. During installation, it will ask whether you have Dropbox account or not. If you have one, log in
    with your Dropbox account. If you don't have a Dropbox account, create one.
3. The Dropbox will create a folder in your My Documents folder ( If you didn't change the target folder ).
4. Go to http://www.dropbox.com/ and login with your account. From there, go to the tab that says " Sharing ".
    You will receive an invitation to "SimcityMulti" fileshare folder. Accept the invitation.
5. Your Dropbox folder in "My Documents" will be downloading a folder called "SimcityMulti". This will take half an hour 
    or a few hours, depending on your connection.
6. Now, here comes the tricky part. Create a shortcut of Simcity 4 on your desktop by right-clicking your mouse,
    select New and click Shortcut. Name your shortcut "Simcity4MP".
7. Right-click on your shortcut in your Desktop ans select "Properties". Select the "Target" field. You should see
    something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe"

Place the cursor at the end of this string, right after the right-most quotation mark and then press the space
   bar once. After the space, type…

-UserDir:"C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows Account\My Documents\My Dropbox\SimcityMulti\Fileshare/"

This is how MINE is setup, yours might have slight variations in the text however the overall format will remain
   the same. Click Apply and OK.
8. Start the game. If it works, It should load a large region with some land, mountains and seas.

Guidelines

General

1. You begin with two large city tiles in which you can plot where ever you desire. The city tiles must be side by
    side within each other. I will notify you if you qualify for city expansion. You can request a new city tile when
    one of the following requirements are made:

a. One of your cities is nearly full or 3/4 full.
    b. One of your cities population is 2.25 million and above.*

2. You cannot build outside of your city limits without permissions.
3. You will be banned if you caught:

a. Sabotaging another person city tile like causing havoc and such.
    b. Misusing the fileshare center and flood it with miscellaneous useless files or use it to spread virus’s or corrupt
        files.
    c. Delete other people cities, the region, plugins, or all the above mentioned.

4. You are not allowed to add plugins of your choosing without permission from ME first. If you want to add
    plugins, simply PM or email me what plugin you want to add in and the where you got it from. This is because
    Dropbox has a data quota limit up to 2.25GB.* If you invite more members to join in, the quota will increase, thus
    more plugins can be added.
5. Make sure you have downloaded everything in the Fileshare folder before starting the game.
6. You are allowed to share power, water, and import / export garbage between cities. Just make sure the
    appropriate link exists between your cities or ask for one to be constructed.
7. Try to make your city as realistic as possible. I don't want to see an entire region full of skyscrapers. Rural and
    suburbs would be nice.
8. If possible, do not make extreme changes with the terrain of your city (like making the entire city flat or anything like
    that). A little adjustment to the terrain is fine, but don't make a mountain flat!
9. Most importantly, have fun!

Development

There is what is called inner city development and external development.

Inner city development is developing anything within your city limits. It's free, doesn't require any permissions, and you can build whatever you desire to build.
External development is the plotting of anything outside your city. It does require permission and proposal plans to be posted in this topic.

Plugins

NAM version 29 (plus NWM, RHW, HSRP and SAM)
RHW Regional Transport Map
CAM 1.0 with double regional workforce bug patch
CAM starter pack buildings
RTMT v3
Columbus Terrain Mod
PEG's Water Mod
ENN Slope Mod
Rail Texture Mod
Opera House Fix
Radius Doubler Mod
XX Turbo Mod
Euro Cars Replacement Mod
BSC Parks
Highway Restyling Textures
AC Functional Airports
Hole Digger Lots

And many, many more!!!!!!

Region

West Bay

There is also another region called "Testing Region". The region is used ONLY for testing purpose only. You cannot SAVE in this region. Any city that is saved in this region will be deleted. Use the region "West Bay" to build your city.

Members*

-JeeKTan (admin)
-travismking
-Hamish
-Nhiro
-Waterclaw
-Asriel
-AEMon
-Romek
-mrtepes
-Guerro28
-Shiikamaru
-Elana-chan
-ovchar
-Dastox
-SimCity4IE
-Givilvovich
-mitch
-emmotic
-michalpuk 
-darknono35   
-Glow33
-Non_party
-CWLGamer01
-Sisu[FIN]
-zaorex
-yunxiang
-guns_of_fire
-KoV Liberty
-cbrendelson20

Have fun!

*Subject to change

#2 emilkjellner

emilkjellner

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

nice idea man! Simtropolis needs guys like you

#3 jim 546

jim 546
  • LocationWales

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

This is a very interesting move, I've seen a few people who have requested this sort of thing, but now someone has come along with the exact plan I had (Dropbox). I might join, but I have a few queries, particularly the plugins, is it possible to reserve a place now and then withdraw later?

Posted Image

#4 Hamish

Hamish
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Devotee

• 5,166 posts
  • Ham-Is-In-A-Can
  • LocationNew Zealand
Awards

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

What exactly is inside the SimcityMulti file? Is it just regions and plugins? Because this sounds interesting, however I just want to try it out and see if I can actually make it work on my machine before downloading all of that stuff.

Posted Image.........................................Posted Image

My Bat Thread ..................................My STEX Files

#5 redrummage

redrummage

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'm with Hamish, Mac users always have to be leery of what we download because not every program is compatible.

#6 JayStimson

JayStimson
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Sounds like you've signed yourself up for a lot of work. How is this paid for ? Is there a user fee ?
On a technical note, if a user adds some plugins (custom content), is it available to everyone or is it restricted to just that city's owner and his city ?
Otherwise, it sounds interesting so far.
Believe in only what you can prove.

#7 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Originally posted by: Hamish
What exactly is inside the SimcityMulti file? Is it just regions and plugins? Because this sounds interesting, however I just want to try it out and see if I can actually make it work on my machine before downloading all of that stuff.

Inside the SimcityMulti folder, it contains folders which are similar to your Simcity 4 My Documents folder. It also contains Simcity 4 Rush Hour Prima Guide and CAM 1.0 Manual. You can try it out by PM me or email me at [email protected]

Originally posted by: JayStimson
Sounds like you've signed yourself up for a lot of work. How is this paid for ? Is there a user fee ?
On a technical note, if a user adds some plugins (custom content), is it available to everyone or is it restricted to just that city's owner and his city ?
Otherwise, it sounds interesting so far.

There will be no user fee and no members of Simcity 4 Multiplayer will be charged. When you add some plugins, it is available to everyone. However you need to get permissions from me first before putting plugins.

I don't know if it works on Mac since i don't have one to test it, so if you guys can get it working on a Mac, please let me now.

#8 Hamish

Hamish
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Devotee

• 5,166 posts
  • Ham-Is-In-A-Can
  • LocationNew Zealand
Awards

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

I have a few ideas how to get it to run on a mac. I'll PM you in a couple of days if Im still interested in this, Ive just got a lot on over the weekend. And I should let you know if it works on macs.

Posted Image.........................................Posted Image

My Bat Thread ..................................My STEX Files

#9 Nhiro

Nhiro

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

yes! Is a very good idea.
I have already sent an email to you
I 'm waiting the invite

#10 Waterclaw

Waterclaw
  • LocationYpsilanti, Michigan, USA, NA, Earth, "The Solar System", Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

Sounds cool, I'll join. Now I have another reason to get Rush Hour. Should get it with in a day or so. So you PM the invite or something?
Posted Image

#11 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Originally posted by: Nhiro
yes! Is a very good idea.
I have already sent an email to you
I 'm waiting the invite

Invite has been sent, Nhiro.

Originally posted by: Waterclaw
Sounds cool, I'll join. Now I have another reason to get Rush Hour. Should get it with in a day or so. So you PM the invite or something?

You must PM me with your name and email address in order for me to invite you to SC4 Multiplayer Mode.

#12 Waterclaw

Waterclaw
  • LocationYpsilanti, Michigan, USA, NA, Earth, "The Solar System", Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Can I have a link to the map download, Looks nice and I'd like to use it in my cities in single player.
Posted Image

#13 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by: Waterclaw
Can I have a link to the map download, Looks nice and I'd like to use it in my cities in single player.

Here's the link: http://www.simtropol...ls.cfm?id=24853

The region is 80 tiles big (large tiles), so there's more than enough room for your city to grow. You will need SC4 Mapper or SC4 Terraformer to import this map.

#14 Waterclaw

Waterclaw

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

I can't seem it get the game working, it starts up normally... and saves to dropbox. (Epicland region may of sneaked in) I followed the directions, idk what I'm doing wrong. I have Win7 and my Dropbox and Simcity are in different hard drives.
Posted Image

#15 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

These kind of problems usually is caused by the shortcut that you have set. In your case, your Dropbox and Simcity 4 is in the different hard drive. So means you need to modify the shortcut or move Simcity 4 and the dropbox folder to the same hard drive. Also, can you state where you put your dropbox folder and your Simcity 4 directory?

Hope that helps!

#16 Waterclaw

Waterclaw

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

"E:\Simcity4 RUSHHOUR\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Dropbox\SimcityMulti\Fileshare"

I'll move my dropbox, I'll edit if it works, won't if it doesn't

Edit: It doesn't...

Posted Image

#17 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Your shortcut would have to be this in order to work : "E:\Simcity4 RUSHHOUR\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -UserDir:"C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Dropbox\SimcityMulti\Fileshare/"

Hope this helps.

#18 Waterclaw

Waterclaw

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hmmm, I did that with my new folder, the only change was I had a new Region called "Regions"... wat
Posted Image

#19 Elana-chan

Elana-chan

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

I am interested in joining in on this, is there any conflicts of using this system with the steam version of SC4 deluxe?

#20 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Steam version is supported but I haven't tested yet. It should work.

#21 ROFLyoshi

ROFLyoshi
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
Awards

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

I have read this and althoguh I like the idea, i wont be participating. However I suggest a CJ could be made!

tumblr_mooloiVF3W1rcw94uo1_400.jpgtumblr_mooloiVF3W1rcw94uo2_400.jpg
Follow my Sim City themed Tumblr blog here!

http://yoshisplayground.tumblr.com/

#22 7891122562059523

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

I would like to be a member!

#23 MajinDarkness

MajinDarkness

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

That region looks tough to build on.... Why can't we just use plain ol' Eaton? =3

#24 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

Originally posted by: MajinDarkness
That region looks tough to build on.... Why can't we just use plain ol' Eaton? =3

i purposely use this map as the region because this map would challenge members to build on hills and mountains rather than a flatland. Besides that, the region is realistic and beautiful.

#25 ovchar

ovchar
  • Locations-petersburg

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:39 AM

I had created account on dropbox ( ovchark@...) . Where my invite on SC4Multi ???

"F:\Sim City 4 Rush Hour\Apps\simcity 4.exe"  -UserDir: "C: \ Documents and Settings \Administrator\ My documents \ My Dropbox \ SimcityMulti \ Fileshare / "

done
When can download region?

Why can not share a folder My doks/SimCity 4/Regions ))), there is a games folder (the real game files that are used)?

#26 SimCity4IE

SimCity4IE
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Could I join?

This could be so awesome! 

#27 JeeKTan

JeeKTan

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Originally posted by: ovchar

I had created account on dropbox ( ovchark@...) . Where my invite on SC4Multi ???

"F:\Sim City 4 Rush Hour\Apps\simcity 4.exe"  -UserDir: "C: \ Documents and Settings \Administrator\ My documents \ My Dropbox \ SimcityMulti \ Fileshare / "

done
When can download region?

Why can not share a folder My doks/SimCity 4/Regions ))), there is a games folder (the real game files that are used)?

You need to sent me you email address to me in order for me to sent the invite in.
Sharing the folder in My Docs/Simcity 4/ Regions will make things more complicated. This method was once used in BlueHope but scrapped due to its complication.

Originally posted by: SimCity4IE

Could I join?

This could be so awesome! 

Sent your email address to me.

#28 Elana-chan

Elana-chan

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm wondering if all of the listed plugins are required. I for one have decided, at least for now, that the high speed rail addon isn't something that works well enough to use effectively yet.

#29 Dastox

Dastox

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:11 AM

Be carful, mrtepes want to abuse "money tree" to increse his city and play unfair.

There is link to money tree:

I suggest admin to block that kind of abuse becasue it will ruin the game sooner or later.

#30 ovchar

ovchar
  • Locations-petersburg

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:05 AM

Launching the sc4 shortcut with the path to the SHARED folder does not copy yours region in my game ( he does not appearing in my game )

How start game using this shared folders? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users