• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

District of Wenzel: Martin County | Update 95 - HAWTHORNE: Penelope River Seasonal Colors

• Please log in to reply
778 replies to this topic

#331 grstudios

grstudios
  • LocationYehud-Monosson, Israel

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

Looks awesome, Packersfan! Loved the rail viaduct by the cemetery, where did you get this?

Edited by grstudios, 12 December 2011 - 05:27 AM.

#332 packersfan

packersfan
  • LocationWest Allis, WI / Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Awards

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Replies to Your Comments:

Grstudios: Looks awesome, Packersfan! Loved the rail viaduct by the cemetery, where did you get this?

The bridge is just a part of NAM, nothing special besides NAM.

Emperordaniel:
The region view looks SO REAL

Thanks. The key is making your region look like it has been there for a while. Also for most of us we only know the world mostly covered with farms and development, so unless you are doing a city from the first settlement in a new land, planting a region full of farms and little villages is a must!

Bluemoose:
Love the sprawl, and your region views are some of my favorite!

Thank you. I can't wait until this "sprawl" is considered the core of my city!

Schulmanator:
Impressive, both in the far-out and close-in levels. Nice work!

Thanks a lot. I've really been trying to make the close-in pictures look better and better with Mayor Mode Ploppables. So many great journalers have mastered the MMPs and really make me jealous.

Dfnva:
Nice update, I like the character of the businesses, fast food restaurants, etc., on S. 56th St. The regional view looks beautiful. Martin is getting pretty big.

-Dan

Thank you. Yeah it is getting big. Really lends itself to never having a shortage of update topics...eventually I really have to do a good tour with signs, haha. Maybe when I have freeways, someday!

I'm back to working around the Brittany River expanding westward. The next few days I will work on updating the region-wide street map.

#333 rewright

rewright
  • LocationCharleston, SC
Awards

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Great update friend. The region view is pretty awesome, and I can's say enough about your street map. I don't know how you made it but it looks like something right out of a chamber of commerce. :thumb: :thumb:
Simtropolis Signature - Oakland County SCFAN
Come visit: Oakland County - Fort Logan

2011 Trixi Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you to all the members who have created the custom content that has made the game what it is today.

#334 FreewayofFlight

FreewayofFlight
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

I was wondering what you used to create this, it's really cool (sorry this is from waay early in your cj)!

Your cities are amazing, very realistic!
Posted Image
Port St. Hewlett, Miranova, Flynn City and Everywhere in Between!

#335 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Update 46 - South 40th Street - Brittany River to Lucas Road
Today we will start travelling south on 40th Street. 40th Street is serviced by WTAB (Wenzel Transit Authority Bus) Route 40. Between the Brittany River and Baltimore Avenue, 40th Street is heavily industrialized.

Posted Image

We start our tour crossing the Brittany River

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bleak industrial rundown area of 40th Street

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see I added a bus stop sign. I didn't add it to my previous intersections out of a little laziness, haha. I will post a bigger version in the future, and maybe alter it a little more. It designates the route (40) and the route it intersects (27) on Lucas Road.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next time we will continue travelling south on 40th Street. Keep up the great feedback. Tips are welcome...except for FAR and FARR...those great fractional angle roads just don't suit my needs ;P. Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

#336 Dannibee

Dannibee
Awards

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

I agree, the problem with FAR is that it is quite hard to make it look good :P. I can't wait until we begin to see the freeways and I liked the avenue undepass too! Another great update :)

Winter is Coming..

#337 dfnva

dfnva
  • Squadron Leader

• 1,741 posts
Awards

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nice update, I do like how "nice" (or should I say run-down) the run-down areas look. Are some of the factories now closed with outsourcing and the economy?

I love the signs and signals, I missed them from the earlier updates of your CJ. The bus stop signs are particularly nice touch. You and KJ3400 are getting me remotivated to play SC4... just got to load it onto my new computer, and d/l the new NAM/RHW, etc. But now with a grad school sabbatical, I may have more time to play and update Winchester or start on a new CJ.

Keep up the great work!!

-Dan

Edited by dfnva, 17 December 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#338 SimEMS38

SimEMS38
  • LocationLancaster City, Pa

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

I do believe you have the BEST looking region I have ever seen! To me it looks like a post WWII American city right at the onset of the suburban boom. If my regional looks as half as good as yours, I'd be ecstatic!! Keep up the awesome work and I for one can't wait to see much more of Wenzel!!

#339 bluemoose

bluemoose
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Awesomesauce! I like the signs, and the concrete rail viaduct looks cool! How'd you do that bit?
Check Out My CJ!
Posted Image

#340 kj3400

kj3400
  • Locationdepends on your definition of 'location'
Awards

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Wow the city is really coming along. I have no clue why I don't comment here :P I will now though.
Posted Image

Forums | New CJ sec.

You know what they say about letting unfinished freeways lie...

#341 Benedict

Benedict
  • benedictST
Awards

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image

Xjdt73L.jpg

#342 rewright

rewright
  • LocationCharleston, SC
Awards

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Great update! The region shot is very cool. A lot of sprawl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you to all the members who have created the custom content that has made the game what it is today.

#343 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

FreewayofFlight: I was wondering what you used to create this [The traffic signals and signs], it's really cool (sorry this is from waay early in your cj)!

Your cities are amazing, very realistic!

Well I borrowed the sign posts and stoplights from dfnva. The signs I grab from the official MUTCD from the USDOT. Of course I clear out the sign and put my own text using downloaded fonts resembling the official style of US traffic signs.

Dannibee:
I agree, the problem with FAR is that it is quite hard to make it look good . I can't wait until we begin to see the freeways and I liked the avenue undepass too! Another great update

FAR and FARR look great but they don't function as roads where I can put zoning along...and most city streets are zoned.

Dfnva:
Nice update, I do like how "nice" (or should I say run-down) the run-down areas look. Are some of the factories now closed with outsourcing and the economy?

I love the signs and signals, I missed them from the earlier updates of your CJ. The bus stop signs are particularly nice touch. You and KJ3400 are getting me remotivated to play SC4... just got to load it onto my new computer, and d/l the new NAM/RHW, etc. But now with a grad school sabbatical, I may have more time to play and update Winchester or start on a new CJ.

Keep up the great work!!

-Dan

Thanks. I don't know who inspired who to do signs and tours, but it is really a fun and always great addition to any CJ, though I must say I'm not always satisfied with my signs, ha.

SimEMS38:
I do believe you have the BEST looking region I have ever seen! To me it looks like a post WWII American city right at the onset of the suburban boom. If my regional looks as half as good as yours, I'd be ecstatic!! Keep up the awesome work and I for one can't wait to see much more of Wenzel!!

Thanks a lot. I've seen many great region views here in the past 8 years, and I am glad mine is being considered up with those greats.

Bluemoose:
Awesomesauce! I like the signs, and the concrete rail viaduct looks cool! How'd you do that bit?

The viaduct is in the NAM. Thank you for stopping by. I will continue to try to improve my signs and their realism and accuracy. I'm a perfectionist.

Kj3400:
Wow the city is really coming along. I have no clue why I don't comment here I will now though.

Thanks for commenting. The Commonwealth is also coming along nicely.

Benedict:
[Christmas card]

Is that elvish at the bottom of that card?

Rewright:
Great update! The region shot is very cool. A lot of sprawl.

Yeah, lots of pre-WWII style sprawl...still in a grid system.

Thanks for all the comments and views...I haven't decided if I will have an update this weekend (probably will unless there is absolutely no time). I uploaded a few new update sections to the street map. There is one section that has a new style I'm tinkering with. Check it out tell me what you think. I've made it feel lighter, the fonts, less shadow, feels cleaner. Tell me what you think of it.

#344 nas786

nas786

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

wow.

Without a doubt the best region shot I've EVER seen. Attention to detail is beyond anything I could've thought possible with this game. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say your work is very inspiring.

Was wondering if you could drop us a street map of the region. Also, sry if I missed it, but is there an airport?

#345 Aaron Graham

Aaron Graham
  • LocationAaron City
Awards

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Fantastic pictures, I'm really digging the region overview, so well laid out, so professional also I can forget about the closer views I like the area with the stores it's almost like the area I live in and the industrial area as well. :thumb:

nybtthread.jpgagthread.jpg

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy -Za

#346 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Nas786, at the end of every update there is a link to the District of Wenzel Street Map.

Yikes, I don't think I will be able to get an update up tomorrow. I have no energy and no real drive to put together an update to my liking. I'm struggling with the signs and perfection and everything and really feeling grumpy about it, that and NO energy. Sorry guys. I'm disappointed.

#347 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Update 47 - South 40th Street: Uttica Creek to Atkinson Avenue
We continue south on 40th Street. 40th Street south of Oklahoma Avenue is lined with shops and offices. Half a mile to the west is the University of Wenzel - Martin campus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uttica Creek Elementary School is ahead on the right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a short little update. I think the next update we will look at the area west of 40th Street and maybe even the university. Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are. Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the furthest south area of google map style).

#348 simlink

simlink
  • LocationCanada
Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Looks really good - I like the street sign/traffic light images, they add a nice touch. I also like the new style for your maps - especially the street names. They look much cleaner and less condensed. :)

#349 rewright

rewright
  • LocationCharleston, SC
Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Nice pictures. I like how you highlight the area you are updating on the regional shot. As I've said before, that map is really something and adds so much to your journal. A++ on that.

#350 dfnva

dfnva
  • Squadron Leader

• 1,741 posts
Awards

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Nice update... I particularly like the rundown buildings near Wolcott St. The signal is great too... looks like a typical VA or PA signal assembly (with the yellow signals and backplates as well as the left turn signal sign next to the turn signal... something VA has started to slowly do away with in favor of the red arrow).

I like the clean look of the new-style map.

Merry Christmas!

-Dan

Edited by dfnva, 24 December 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#351 Simbourgeois

Simbourgeois
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Really nice pictures! But... well... after seeing your street map, I am completely speechless!!! :boggle:
Keep up the great work!!!
Belleville - Celebrating the good life since 2004
City of the People, by the People, for the People

Christmas at Macy's
Posted Image

Old CJ Section // New CJ Section

#352 bluemoose

bluemoose
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hm, My viaducts are always stone, never concrete. I may play around a bit though.
Meanwhile, It looks great as always, and these signs really are amazing!
A rundown rust belt feel really comes out in this update, with some of the dilapidated shops and alleys.
Check Out My CJ!
Posted Image

#353 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Bluemoose:
[Hm, My viaducts are always stone, never concrete. I may play around a bit though.
Meanwhile, It looks great as always, and these signs really are amazing!
A rundown rust belt feel really comes out in this update, with some of the dilapidated shops and alleys.

There are different viaduct options in the NAM setup I believe. Thanks, the signs are sometimes very frustrating!

Simbourgeois:
Really nice pictures! But... well... after seeing your street map, I am completely speechless!!!
Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks. I am glad the street map is so well received.

Dfnva:
Nice update... I particularly like the rundown buildings near Wolcott St. The signal is great too... looks like a typical VA or PA signal assembly (with the yellow signals and backplates as well as the left turn signal sign next to the turn signal... something VA has started to slowly do away with in favor of the red arrow).

I like the clean look of the new-style map.

Merry Christmas!

-Dan

Thanks. Now I just have to upgrade the rest of the map again, ha.

Rewright:
Nice pictures. I like how you highlight the area you are updating on the regional shot. As I've said before, that map is really something and adds so much to your journal. A++ on that.

Yeah, the street map is a really point of pride.

Sim_link:
Looks really good - I like the street sign/traffic light images, they add a nice touch. I also like the new style for your maps - especially the street names. They look much cleaner and less condensed.

I want to keep doing the signs, but it is a lot of frustrating work sometimes. Now I just have to upgrade the rest of the map to reflect the cleaner style.

Well I missed last week's update because I was playing a lot of Madden NFL 2012 on our new XBox. I think I should have enough motivation to get an update this Saturday. Keep checking in!

Edited by packersfan, 04 January 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#354 Benedict

Benedict
  • benedictST
Awards

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Bravo - District of Wenzel is number 6 for 2011!

Xjdt73L.jpg

#355 packersfan

packersfan
Awards

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Update 48 - University of Wenzel - Martin Campus
Today we visit the University of Wenzel - Martin Campus. The university has around 10,000 undergraduate students and another 5,000 graduate students. The university's athletic teams are called the Red Raiders, and despite its mascot being a buccaneer, the university is still under pressure from native peoples to change the name. A total of 18 Red Raider athletic teams compete in WCAA Division I.

The university consists of seven undergraduate colleges, a graduate school, a nursing school, a law school, and a medical school and hospital.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The title picture is the northeast corner of the university consisting mainly of the medical school, hospital, and medical research laboratories.

In this mosaic, we see more lecture halls, academic centers, and student housing. The UWM campus is quite condensed and consists of buildings spanning many eras. Towards the bottom of the picture we can see Andrew Marshall Track & Field.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now facing west, we see Hollins Arena, more housing, and the original core campus.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Recreational opportunities are available throughout campus, especially on the west side near Hollins Arena.

Posted Image

Posted Image

North edge of campus with a METRA railroad as a boundary.

Posted Image

Facing south we see the UWM METRA station, student housing, and recreational fields.

Posted Image

Facing east we see Red Raiders Stadium home of the D-1 football team.

Posted Image

Facing north we see more athletic fields.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed that update. I clearly haven't mastered creating a massive university yet, haha, but I am for the most part pleased with how it turned out. Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are. Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).

#356 Schulmanator

Schulmanator
  • LocationThe Heart of Schulmania
Awards

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

You have captured the feel of the place well. Nicely done. :ducky: :ducky: :ducky:

cj_SIGLINE_2.jpgSchulmania: Purr-suing purr-fection since 2006...

Schulmania [ Volume 1 ] [ Volume 2 ] [ Volume 3 ] [ Website ] [ Blog ]

Harar, a Schulmania presentation

Evean Vansop, a Schulmania presentation

#357 simlink

simlink
  • LocationCanada
Awards

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Fantastic work - it looks like a very realistic university. Fantastic work with the arenas as well - the sea of parking is quite nice. :)

#358 dfnva

dfnva
  • Squadron Leader

• 1,741 posts
Awards

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Nice campus... I've been just working on a campus in a new city/region I've started, I may apply some ideas I see in your campus here.

-Dan

#359 nathanthemayor

nathanthemayor
  • LocationCalifornia
Awards

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Wow!Maybe one day I'll go to that university :D. How long did it take you to make that giant street map?

Click the links below to visit my:
City Journals Dante's Peak,
Paridise Island (v2), The United Cites *All CJs are now inactive*
Workshops: BATs *Inactive*, Lots *Inactive*
Show me Your RoadsignsRoadless Cities, or Transit Hubs/Centers!
Other Significant LinksSTEX Uploads, City Journal Fog Tutorial

#360 kj3400

kj3400
  • Locationdepends on your definition of 'location'
Awards

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Nonsense, that university campus looks so much better than mine :P....And I see you have a lot of interesting buildings on the campus. Great work.
Posted Image

Forums | New CJ sec.

You know what they say about letting unfinished freeways lie...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users