• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo
- - - - -

Reviews of Cities XL

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 sparky66

sparky66

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

has anyone found any reviews of Cities XL yet? post them here when you do. I have been searching around the internet and have found dozens of previews and only one review. so here is a link (it's from the demo and i don't think he likes it very much! also it's a bit rude!):

http://woofkitty.blo...uct-review.html

i think he was maybe being a bit unfair. i thought the demo was OK and have pre-ordered the limited edition. the only thing that annoys me is the whole 'PO mass transit' thing.

#2 gabry85

gabry85

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:22 AM

I assume you'll be liking this one at Reddit.com (65% of readers agreed so far) too.

Warning: Language filter OFF

Link removed.   Please do not link to sites or blogs with language that is unacceptable on Simtropolis.

#3 sparky66

sparky66

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

i think maybe we would be better waiting for one of the better gaming websites to review this game. rather than reviews written by angry shouty people!

#4 geek12

geek12

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:41 AM

Oh snap the game comes out THIS Friday. I totally lost track of September. Anyways, we should request that Zero Punctuation review Cities

#5 masochist

masochist
  • LocationLubbock, TX
Awards

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

Originally posted by: geek12
Anyways, we should request that Zero Punctuation review Cities

That would be hilarious!  Loved his SC:S review!

#6 LBII

LBII

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

No reviews anywhere yet?Are the reviews supposed to be released tommorow with the game or after that?

#7 FusionBunny

FusionBunny

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

I am considering getting CXL, and yes this IS Sim City 5...the one game that will damage EA big time
Now single player sounds nice and all but I need help where multiplayer is concerned, seems to me that under wikipedia the Planet Offer should really be called Planet MP instead

I need to know this - Can we team up with say 3-4 people and make a group and work on a city together while discussing ideas on how to make it better and what goes where and GEM's and any extra content that may be available over time....because from what I can tell Planet is nothing more than single player on a wider scale, loading screens and no true interactibility between cities that players online make, now I have to admit I am kinda bad with city making games so if I can't team up with others online so we can all make parts of the city our own then I see very little point in having an online mode at all, sounds like when TSO arrived...good idea in theory but totally sucked when it came to doing the right things that players demand...AKA needed in order to make a better game after launch.

For those buying it's very simple - buy game - test single player - get sub - play online - get some GEM's - realize game is kinda lame - refuse to play for a good 6-12 months - demand GEM's be free, demand CC gets free as well (check over at sims 3 and you will know why CC should be free), and finally tell them to make Planet free since they obviously won't get enough players paying to make any real profit from the game.

Group/Team building for one unique city together that can then link with other unique cities and trade etc - WITHOUT loading screens and WITH true interactions via trade, traffic and so forth.....give me that and I would be more than happy to try online for awhile, fail and I will stick with SP until you add such a useful feature into the game.

#8 JakeMD

JakeMD
  • Simtrop Devotee

• 5,226 posts
  • wee woo wee woo
  • LocationMinnesota
Awards

One of the points of the planet offer is to work together. Building those large blueprints requires some cooperation between players.
ahhhh i'm busy. Also swat-medic.

#9 baertooth

baertooth

CitiesXL is more like Simcity 2000 Advanced. I'm not saying that's bad, but the game play is way more like SC2k than a successor to SC4.

#10 ScaryMonkey

ScaryMonkey

I have to agree with baertooth there, I can't really consider Cities XL a successor to SC4 when it doesn't have half the features SC4 did.

#11 soltangris

soltangris
Awards

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

Don't expect official reviews by respected sites before the release. I'll give it some 2 weeks before the first real reviews start coming out (not those based on the demo+10 hours of the real game+a lot of info on the web).

#12 USA_Pride

USA_Pride

Originally posted by: ScaryMonkey
I have to agree with baertooth there, I can't really consider Cities XL a successor to SC4 when it doesn't have half the features SC4 did.

Yup.

SC4 made in 2003 that only cost ~$50 is much better than CXL in 2009 that costs over $100 for one year of playing.

#13 SimDragon

SimDragon

People can't team up and work on one city. Everyone gets their own city. You can play online without any interaction with another city or person and still make a giant city in less than a week. You do not need any cooperation from other players or cities to work on a blueprint but it does help. Yes I feel the PO is pointless. It's just single player with some extra bells and whistles with a chat channel and you can take your Avatard and walk around other peoples cities. And I doubt you will find anyone else to agree that this is Sim City 5. If it is I have been transported to a new galaxy.

#14 LBII

LBII

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

2 weeks? gosh, seems a lot of time! Since I'm waiting for Windows 7 to be on the shelves before making a decision about citiesXL, I thought that I'd be able to take a decision in one week so that my eventual new computer would be ready for something like the end of October. If I have to wait another two weeks to read professionnal reviews, then I'm good for november...

#15 LBII

LBII

Cities XL is not following the same path SimCity took. It's like comparing apples and oranges : the two are in the same general category of things in life, but in fact they are quite different in their final form. Cities XL is for general PC game players and hardcore city builders fans alike, offering good graphic performances and better flexibility on some aspects, but sacrifizing on the way many micromanagement possibilies on the way. If you are willing to change managing and possibilities for newer full 3D game, then make the move with Cities XL. Otherwise, Simcity 4 will do the job.

Unfortunately, I believe that there will be no SC5 in the future. Not sure that EA is interested to resurrect the brand, and all the modding made on SC4 raise the standard way over what a regular game-makers corporation is willing to make, I think!

#16 Craig-Abcvs

Craig-Abcvs
  • LocationNew Zealand
Awards

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Similar thread merged.

#17 gabry85

gabry85

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:42 AM

Found this on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_XL)

Controversy

Monte Cristo has come under fire for specific actions, such as deleting the community forums hosted at www.citiesxl.com in advance of the game's release date. This controversy stems from the fact that when the forums were deleted, so were two years of discussions in regards to the game, good and bad[21]. The company has stated that the community is not to worry, as they have "saved all of the good posts", and would continue to maintain a presence on sites such as Simtropolis[22][23]. Users have also reported poor customer service; one user reportedly received an empty envelope instead of the product, and communications with the company were not promptly answered[24]. Monte Cristo, located in France, does not maintain a toll-free number for international customers such as in the US, and they must pay long-distance fees if they want to call customer support.

Also, Spill It Out! reviewed Cities XL: http://www.spillitou...-dose-of-logic/

#18 gnomonite

gnomonite

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:53 AM

Originally posted by: gabry85

Controversy

Monte Cristo has come under fire for specific actions, such as deleting the community forums hosted at www.citiesxl.com in advance of the game's release date. This controversy stems from the fact that when the forums were deleted, so were two years of discussions in regards to the game, good and bad[21]. The company has stated that the community is not to worry, as they have "saved all of the good posts", and would continue to maintain a presence on sites such as Simtropolis[22][23]. Users have also reported poor customer service; one user reportedly received an empty envelope instead of the product, and communications with the company were not promptly answered[24]. Monte Cristo, located in France, does not maintain a toll-free number for international customers such as in the US, and they must pay long-distance fees if they want to call customer support.

They just reviewed the Demo. I would still like to see a full game review.

#19 frdrcklim

frdrcklim
  • LocationMetro Manila, Philippines

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:07 AM

Controversy

Oh I remember that. It's interesting to see recent news about things unfolding.

#20 mrdazza_460

mrdazza_460
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

Well if you read between the lines I would say the person that has reviewed the game in that article has played the full game or beta depending on how you look at it. 

Political comment deleted.
--Liv
CXL Forums Moderator

#21 ifurkend

ifurkend
  • ifurkendlee

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

I must say that that controvery section is a bit uncyclopedic and trivial. Not to mention that user-editable forum and unpopular unofficial blog are considered extremely weak citation source for Wikipedia. I don't like how Monte Cristo is treating the CXL and its targeting audience, but I prefer waiting for some more reliable source for inclusion of such information.

#22 moaku

moaku

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

Great, MC is continuing their "PO enforcing"... If you buy the game, you got a 7 days trial... But guess what ? You can't choose when these 7 days come ! After activating the game online and creating your account, you're informed that your 7 day free trial already started... This is just outrageous.

Inflammatory comment removed.
--Liv
CXL Forums Moderator

#23 sparky66

sparky66

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:08 AM

so the moment you activate the game and create an account your 7 day free trial automatically starts?! thats rubbish. i was going to wait a while until some content was released before using mine.

#24 moaku

moaku

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:51 AM

Originally posted by: sparky66
so the moment you activate the game and create an account your 7 day free trial automatically starts?! thats rubbish. i was going to wait a while until some content was released before using mine.

Unfortunatelly, yup, that's exactly the way it works,
I thought we were done with "bad surprises" with cities xl, but they always find some way  to enworse things... Sad, very sad...

All we can do is just hope it will disgust enough potential PO subscribers for the PO to become "non-proffitable", so it would force them to rethink many unresting decisions that were made to get more ppl subscribing... As a french expression says, it would make them "se sortir les pouces du cul" 

Derogatory bashing removed.
Please cease and desist.
--Liv
CXL Forums Moderator

#25 voodoo02

voodoo02

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

PO pricing can be better.... Maybe 5 or 6 bucks a month, may be 12 dollars for 3 months pre-paid. Personally I will see how well the game is and maybe just pay for PO if its good....

#26 bluespottedhorse

bluespottedhorse

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

As a beta tester I would not advise anyone to go out and purchase it right away. It is a great game but is missing many of the essential basic pieces, i.e., mass transit and variety of zone/lot sizes that were in SC4.the original vanilla version without all the current modds. For myself all I want added is the ability to lay train tracks and would even except none functioning eye candy for that. The second thing I'd want is many different lots/zone sizes and not the 3x3 square blocks that the current game has. I call them 3x3 because they are roughly the size of 9 of the smallest lots in SC4.

CITIESXL is a diamond in the rough and will be incredible once everything is added.

#27 Livin in Sim

Livin in Sim
  • LocationPaha Sapa, SD, USA
Awards

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

Those who have been edited, please take a chill pill.  We will not tolerate violations of Simtropolis rules regarding political comments in unapproved areas, politeness, and respect for other members, which includes MC.  Any further violations, I will lock this thread and proceed with timeouts.

--Liv
CXL Forums Moderator

#28 mr-tom

mr-tom
Awards

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

Think I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

And with the game yet to arrive, I'll be doing more waiting before I do any seeing......

#29 Brandon8181

Brandon8181
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

I think I plan to do the same. I'm not exactly "against the game". I just feel like I'm a little disappointed about how things are going the last couple of months especially with mass transportation and the Planet Offer.

I think I'm going to take the wait and see approach as well. I'll watch the blogs, and see what everyone has to say and then make a decision to buy then or wait.

Brandon

#30 Jimboob

Jimboob

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

Controversy

Seems the Wikipedia entry has been removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users