• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo

Cannot Install SimCity 4 on Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 saathoff37

saathoff37
Awards

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

i have Vista 32-Bit. Mine had the same problems at first.. I am the admin on my computer, but i still had to set the program as run as admin. I also have the compatibility set to Windows XP Service Pack, the games runs very very smooth, better than it had for me on XP, and the graphics look better too
Visit SimCity Sports! Your #1 Home to Simulation Sports leagues for SimCity and Beyond! www.scsports.forumotion.org

#32 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

I've got a problem similar to this, im trying to install the game on Windows Vista and when i put the second disk it gets very slow and constantly freezes and when its finally on a 100% it freezes completely and says that there is an error and i just have to cancel the installation.

#33 tungston

tungston
Awards

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

You might try copying the files on disc 2 to the hard drive and install from there. Sometimes it works.

#34 PurpleSims

PurpleSims

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

I couldn't install Rush Hour on my computer....so long ago i remember copying the CD to the hard drive and installing from there and that didn't work.  My husband suggested i install the CD to my pocket media drive and installing from there.....and lo and behold that did work.  So if you have a personal or pocket media drive, try copying the CD to there.  Good luck.

#35 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

ya know i did what u told me to copy the files to the hard drive but i really dunno how to install  it from there cuz i copied both cds to the hard drive  and when im installing it ask for the second cd and i have no idea how to run it if i have it saved to my hard drive.
help

#36 tungston

tungston
Awards

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

There should be a way to browse to the location of the CD files on the hard drive.

#37 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

no, its not that, i know to get to the folder in which the cd files are saved. But the thing is , ya know when ur installing the game that there is a little slideshow and progress bar ?? well when it ask for the second cd the whole point is to install the the 2nd cd using the files i saved to the hard drive, well how do i make it read the 2nd cd without having to insert the cd only using the files on my hard drive.

understand??

#38 suaviscor

suaviscor

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

You paid WAAAY too much for that machine. I have two laptops with Vista, one 32 bit and one 64. Have never had any problems whatsoever running SC4.

#39 tungston

tungston
Awards

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

Originally posted by: da4gotten92
no, its not that, i know to get to the folder in which the cd files are saved. But the thing is , ya know when ur installing the game that there is a little slideshow and progress bar ?? well when it ask for the second cd the whole point is to install the the 2nd cd using the files i saved to the hard drive, well how do i make it read the 2nd cd without having to insert the cd only using the files on my hard drive.

understand??

My mistake, I thought I remembered a drop down box for the CD.  Maybe XP had that.   I have never had a problem installing the game.

Have you tried disabling the antivirus when you install from the CD?  I have some games that won't install with the antivirus running.  I just installed the game on the Windows 7 RC with the antivirus running, so I don't know, unless your disc are scratched, or dirty.

#40 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

im sorry i didnt tell u this first but the reason the 2nd cd does not install its because the file "Simcity_3.dat" or "Soundcard" cannot be copied during the installation. so the question i asked u before its because i simply cant use the 2nd cd in this computer THATS why i have to figure out how to install the 2nd cd using the files i copied into the hard drive

and rest assured that i have installed this very same cd on another computer and worked perfectly!

#41 tungston

tungston
Awards

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

You "might" be able to do a disc copy to install the game, but you won't be able to start the game with it.

#42 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

i dont have a problem with that. I just want to know how to install the game using the files i saved to my hard drive.

#43 da4gotten92

da4gotten92

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

do u know plz i really want to play this game

#44 remixedcat

remixedcat

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

works in windows server 2008 x64 enterprise workstation service pack 2 with no problems at all! (damn that's a long winded os name!)

#45 Seekheater

Seekheater

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

Because it works for any one person with their almost perfectly unique combination of hardware, BIOS versions, driver versions, and cohabitating other installed software, doesn't mean it works for everyone. That should be obvious, but reading some of these posts I truly wonder...

Blanket statements of "it works fine for me, so you have a virus/antivirus/driver problem" are a poor substitute for useful accurate information.

CD-based install doesn't work for crap on my 64-bit Vista HP machine... drivers, OS, and BIOS are up to date. Spins the CD for a second, then nothing. Nothing posted here makes any difference. I can read all the files on the CD, I've copied and tried from the hard disk, I've run as admin, I"ve put in appropriate DEP exceptions, etc.

The only approach that worked for me was copying the installed directory from my old PC. Works fine, no issues, runs great. I doubt I would have ever found a solution otherwise.

It's a shame EA doesn't take supporting its PC users seriously any more... not only can you not find any information on this issue on their site (other than a page of vague, generic, hand-wavy stuff that is almost no help), but they'll still happily sell you a SC4 CD without discussing the compatibility requirements.

It sure was a different company back when I worked there.

#46 willfish

willfish

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

i have the same problem but im on xp, the same thing happened when he checked the run compatibility as xp, it comes up not win 32 application, i get the exact same thing anybody know why?

#47 LOLZpersonok

LOLZpersonok

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Maybe you need to log into your administrator account to do it. idk if it will work, i have vista and i installed the game just fine, no problems.

#48 local_authority01

local_authority01

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Find the files on your hard-drive and look to see if there is an .exe or setup program. You should try to install from there instead of the double disk cd. If you cant copy it directly from your hard-drive try the cd again. Don't install from the pop-up install that comes up when you insert the cd. Instead locate the cd drive, open it, and click on the .exe or setup from there. Before you double click the .exe in your cd drive, right click and find an option to install with windows xp. It might be in properties. Good Luck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users