• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
  •  
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Get your Maxis files here!

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
  • LocationThe Doom Fortress
Awards

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

******************************************************************************************************
A note for those looking for the Maxis files.

With the closing of the MobileMe site, the Maxis files have become a little more difficult to find. Fortunately, a couple of the members here have made them available at their own sites. See the links below for the Maxis files (including the two bldgprop files and the additional Landmarks):

Catty: City Builders (Registration required)
Craig_Abcvs: Screwpile Developments

******************************************************************************************************

Dear fellow Mac users,

I have been working on this for months, and I'm pleased to say that my efforts are finally about to bear fruit.

At issue: how can Mac users get ahold of the official Maxis files, such as programs, landmarks, and props?

Once upon a time, you could contact EA and get a serial number. Not anymore, unfortunately.

However, my attempts to arrive at a solution ultimately lead me to this conversation with EA:

Me:

I just want to confirm something that you said. You stated "If you are looking for that particular download you may be able to find it on other Sim City community websites." So, may I assume from this statement that this would be 100% legal? Is the same true for other downloads such as bldgprops_vol1.dat and bldgprops_vol2.dat as well?

Thank you for your time.

Ian

Response from Landon F.:

Hello again,

It is legal to host the downloads on other websites, yes. It is when you begin making money off of our copywrited content that it raises concerns. Feel free to use other sites at your liesure. Thank you for your patience.

In other words, it is perfectly legal to download all the stuff on simcity.com from other sites as long as you do not make a profit off of it.

That said, I have obtained permission from Dirk to host the files on my website and then link from here. The download site will be up soon, so keep a lookout here for it! As soon as it's up, I will post the link to my site and change the title of this thread.

Thanks for your patience. It won't be much longer now!

Aug. 2, 2006: The first downloads are up! For now, I have the bldgprops_vol1.dat and bldgprops_vol2.dat files.

Aug. 7, 2006: Lot Editor and BAT are now up!

Aug. 8, 2006:
Graphics rules.sgr now up!

Warning!!!

This file is NOT for use by just anyone! If you are having gameplay smoothness troubles with your Mac, download this file.

After downloading, go to your SimCity4 Data folder and move the current graphics rules.sgr file to a safe place. Then place the new graphics rules.sgr file directly into your SimCity4 Data folder. DO NOT place it in any Plugins folders.

If it works, yay! If not, throw out the new file and replace it with the old one that you carefully saved.

Aug. 13, 2006: With the help of Dirk and kbooms1w, the EA landmarks are now up!

Aug. 16, 2006: Landmarks which were previously available at the Aspyr site are now up! The Aspyr links were dead...

September 10, 2006: NDEX Global Essentials.dat now up with permission from SC4meister!

September 27, 2006:
Highway interchanges are now up!

Be ABSOLUTELY SURE you read the instructions in this thread:

http://www.simtropol...macs-rh-update/

It is best if you read the entire thread. If not, at the very minimum, read the post on the second page by jjakucyk that was posted on 07/12/05.

If you do not read this, you are guaranteed to mess up the installation!

File is entitled: SC4_RH&Deluxe_Pre2PostUpdate...blahblahblah...zip You get the idea.

Special thanks to Tropod for making this and kbooms1w for making it available to me.

Access here: http://homepage.mac....structions.html

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!
You can also view the special Carpathia thread in Community Goings-On!

#2 callagrafx

callagrafx

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

Zel...you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY deserve that award dude...strike a blow for the Elite!!!!

Look forward to getting hold of your download site..I would say give the man a medal but someone beat me to it LOL

Once again, thanks!

#3 maremet

maremet

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

That is a great news zelgadis. Thanks for your efforts.
At last I'll have stonehenge.dat.
Cheers.

#4 kbooms1w

kbooms1w

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

Good job, Zelgadis, let me know if you need anything.

#5 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

bldgprops_vol1.dat and bldgprops_vol2.dat are up!

Access here:  http://homepage.mac.com/zelgadis/FileSharing1.html

And I'm glad y'all appreciate this!    I just wanted to be able to do something. 

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#6 Junkerscrack

Junkerscrack

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

Possible to get the Bat Light texture fix up? and LE and BAT

#7 kbooms1w

kbooms1w

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

Unfortunately, the BAT lighting fix isn't a separate file like the bldgprop files, it's an update that changes an existing file, specifically written for the PC version.

#8 iDavid

iDavid

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:11 AM

It feels good to know, the files I downloaded months ago, are legal.

#9 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by: Junkerscrack Possible to get the Bat Light texture fix up? and LE and BAT

The Lot Editor and BAT plus any other programs available on simcity.com will be available eventually.  However, whether or not you'll be able to use them is another matter entirely.  An Intel Mac or VirtualPC should do the trick.

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#10 Goin2Chicago

Goin2Chicago

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

congratulations! some type of reward should be in order for you.

now, reading the maxis guys reply  sort of made me think. maxis said you can host they're files on your own site as long as you don't make money off it so it sort of made me think of people not being able to give their cereal code to others in need because of site rules. just a thought and if you don't understand what i was triying to say thats ok.

#11 Junkerscrack

Junkerscrack

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:49 PM

Thanks, greatly appreciated

#12 Junkerscrack

Junkerscrack

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Actually, that site is using those files to make money, albeit somewhat indirectly, therefore making the distribution illegal.

~zel~

#13 callagrafx

callagrafx

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

These are illegal distributions of copyrighted material and as such you are violating ST rules (again).

#14 eQ-B

eQ-B
  • Sophomore

• 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:27 AM

Post edited, apparantly the links i posted for the LE and BAT somewhat make money off them.

#15 sim1234

sim1234
  • STEX Moderator
  • Simtropolis Geek

• 3,442 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, United Kingom
Awards

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:37 AM

eQ-B: The reason Junkerscrack post  in this thread was edited was because he posted those two links you have put in your post. It isn't legal to download the files from there as FileFront make money from distributing them.

#16 eQ-B

eQ-B
  • Sophomore

• 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:44 AM

Oh i see, i had no idea what links he posted as it was removed. I'll edit my post now.

#17 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Lot Editor and BAT are now up!

If you have an Intel Mac, Virtual PC, or something else, download and enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/zelgadis/FileSharing1.html

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#18 callagrafx

callagrafx

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

Would it be a good idea to post a link to Turbosquid for GMAX? Your call.

#19 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

graphics rules.sgr now up!

Warning!!!

This file is NOT for use by just anyone!  If you are having gameplay smoothness troubles with your Mac, download this file.

After downloading, go to your SimCity4 Data folder and move the current graphics rules.sgr file to a safe place.  Then place the new graphics rules.sgr file directly into  your SimCity4 Data folder.  DO NOT place it in any Plugins folders.

If it works, yay!  If not, throw out the new file and replace it with the old one that you carefully saved.

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#20 maremet

maremet

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the graphics rules.sgr file zelgadis.
It really helped a bit. The flow of the game is better then before but not good as with the MacOS 10.3. I am just wondering if I can do anything further to get a better result. Is there anything I can change system/setup specific in the graphics rules file. I am on a G5 with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, 1256mb ram, MacOs 10.4.7. If you have any successions, I truly appreciate.
Cheers

#21 guitarist4816

guitarist4816

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

does this mean the lot editor, bat and the latest patches can be hosted on this site now?
that would be very helpful for those of us who cant make an account on the official site due to bad luck.
My thoughts on the donations: since this site accepts donations, but does not require them, it is not the same thing as selling or making money of the programs. Everything on this site is completly free, and i presume that all the money from donations goes towards mantaining the the site in some way or another. This, i would think, makes it perfectly legal to host the programs.

#22 callagrafx

callagrafx

#23 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Warning!!!

This file is NOT for use by just anyone!  If you are having gameplay smoothness troubles with your Mac, download this file.

After downloading, go to your SimCity4 Data folder and move the current graphics rules.sgr file to a safe place.  Then place the new graphics rules.sgr file directly into  your SimCity4 Data folder.  DO NOT place it in any Plugins folders.

If it works, yay!  If not, throw out the new file and replace it with the old one that you carefully saved.

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#24 maremet

maremet

It really helped a bit. The flow of the game is better then before but not good as with the MacOS 10.3. I am just wondering if I can do anything further to get a better result. Is there anything I can change system/setup specific in the graphics rules file. I am on a G5 with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, 1256mb ram, MacOs 10.4.7. If you have any successions, I truly appreciate.
Cheers

#25 guitarist4816

guitarist4816

does this mean the lot editor, bat and the latest patches can be hosted on this site now?
that would be very helpful for those of us who cant make an account on the official site due to bad luck.
My thoughts on the donations: since this site accepts donations, but does not require them, it is not the same thing as selling or making money of the programs. Everything on this site is completly free, and i presume that all the money from donations goes towards mantaining the the site in some way or another. This, i would think, makes it perfectly legal to host the programs.

#26 callagrafx

callagrafx

#27 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Warning!!!

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#28 Zelgadis

Zelgadis
  • Administrator
  • Simtrop Aficionado

• 9,861 posts
Awards

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

With the help of Dirk and kbooms1w, the EA landmarks are now up! 

Access here: 
http://homepage.mac.com/zelgadis/FileSharing1.html

@guitarist4816:  Yes, they can be hosted on Simtropolis.  It is ultimately up to Dirk as to whether or not he wants to do that.  Mostly, this is for the Mac community, so I thought it prudent to host the files myself in order to keep everything on the level.

@maremet:  I'm not sure what else you can do with the file.  Aspyr told me that only one line was changed.  I can't remember exactly the wording, but it was something like this:

nopartialbackstoringofcopies:  true

It was something like that.  You could try changing some other things and seeing what happens.  I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not the go-to guy on this. 

ISF

Visit New Carpathia!

#29 maremet

maremet

Cheers

#30 guitarist4816

guitarist4816

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users