• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account
Photo

What was your first ever game & your gaming history?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#121 Follarch

Follarch
  • LocationKent, Wa, USA
Awards

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

Oh god I can't remember. It was either some tiny computer game that was stored on those floppy disks, or one of the first Nintendo console games.

Funny how in my short 20 years we went from floppy disk games to Mass Effect 3. My kids are going to be SO spoiled.

YAY herro page 5!

Edited by Archean, 19 January 2012 - 06:32 AM.

I'm the 'A' to the 'r', to the c-h-e-a-n,
and even though my name means 'old' I'm really quite pimp,
I'm Archilicious.
- - -
Hi! I'm Mike, the creator of Folland. You can find her in the Forums or the CJ Section.
Folland is also a part of the United Sovereign Nations of the World, a Simcity4 Union!

#122 wlong

wlong

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

I remember my first game console to be the Family Computer and was really enjoying it until the newer breed of game consoles sprang up.

I used to play a lot of Tank Wars/Battlefield, Contra and Super Mario on it that time. During the same time, I think that I had my Sonic Gear which was a hand me down from my brother who upgraded to a gameboy pocket that time.

Then I think I jumped to the ps1 after those times. I am not really sure of the timeline and how it is arranged.

#123 jdenm8

jdenm8
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hm... The earliest I can remember was Pitfall! For the Atari 2600 on my parents' ColecoVision (hey had the addon module which allowed it to run 2600 games) when I was probably about 4 and a half. I got into PC Gaming really early, my parents never let me have a console until my Father bought a PSOne cheap in about 2006, I was probably about 5 when I played my first PC games on our first computer (had a Pentium and later had a Voodoo2, all I can remember as it was binned in about 2002), a bunch of Edutainment titles and... The Need For Speed SE, A game which set off a love for that particular series until two particular titles which just kicked me in the guts and killed my continued interest in new titles, the 2007 and 2008 ones if you're clever.

Edited by jdenm8, 20 February 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image

#124 Forthwall

Forthwall
  • Forthwall
  • LocationSan Jose, California
Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

My earliest game I got was an educational game :angry:

But the first real game was Sim City 3000, non Sim City game was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

Things to go things to come.

#125 NMUSpidey

NMUSpidey
  • Anelosimus Araneae
  • LocationMy Japanese Volcano Lair
Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

I remember playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? on an ancient Apple. After that, my real gaming history starts with SimCity for SNES, and ChronoTrigger shortly after. There was a bit of a break, then my friend got me playing FFVII and another friend got me playing Gran Turismo. I'm still playing GT5, but I've long since abandoned FF games. SimCity it should go without saying that I still love. I've done the whole Mario and Sonic thing, too, and I don't really get into shooting games. From a couple of the other nostalgic posts on page 5, I'm glad to see I'm not the only Buick-driving get-off-my-lawn type posting here! :D

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Spidey

PS that's not my EA Origin name up there!

#126 Empowered One

Empowered One

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Holiday Island. Like SimCity but focused on...making a Holiday Island. Very in-depth which is always admireable. Can't play it anymore THANKS TO WINDOWS being windows: everything new then windows 98 makes you lose a lot of in-game options. I don't have virtual computer and don't want to down it just for 1 game.
Join the Tax Free Tour now and evade paying taxes like Starbucks! (there is plenty of English to go around) http://tegenlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2012-2013/tax-free-tour.html

#127 OcramSeattle

OcramSeattle
  • LocationGreater Seattle Area

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I remember Carmen Sandiago. I played it on a Dell running Windows.

"Always do your best and you will always be better than the best in my eyes."--found on the Internet, modified by me.
"Words are words, explanations are explanations, but only performances matter."--forwarded from email, unmodified
"Ocram's Razor: Everything Ocram posts is as long winded and complex as possible, also prone to self disclosure. Opposite of Occam's Razor."--Paraphrased and reformatted by me

The above quotes describe my philosophy and the below links should help you when I don't.
The best place for Cities XL info is at The Cities XL Wiki!
Problems with Cities XL? Go to Cities XL Technical Issues or XLNation.net
Problems with SimCity 4? Go to SimCity 4 Technical Issues but no sections with CXL in their titles.
Want to learn more about game-play or other things not in the FAQ's of the above forums? Go to The Simtropolis Omnibus of Knowledge.
Please don't post confused threads in the wrong place.

#128 BurroDiablo

BurroDiablo
  • AsiniDiabolica
  • LocationDundee, Scotland
Awards

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Sim City on the SNES. Beast of a game!

I'm pretty sure I played games earlier than this, but their names and the names of the consoles elude me. SNES was the first console I owned properly and Sim City was the first game I played on that console. I also owned SC2K on the Playstation a few years later in 97, but I lost it somewhere and never EVER found it! Probably stolen, same happened to my Command and Conquer generals disk in 2005, but that was a mistake... whoever took it swiped the Napalm Death album i'd put the disk in as I was ripping the music off the CD in my PC. :whatevs:

#129 Moskva

Moskva

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

My father told me that i began using computer when i was 3 or somewhat... in the early 90s. The first game must've been some "Fabolous 60s", MicroMan, Asteroids, Missle, and so on, most of them i played. Then it was the time of 2000s, with regular traditional "big games", while i began begging for SC4, impossible to find in 2005 here in Italy, i got SC3K, awesome. Then SC4 came, one morning, on my desk, awesome. So in the end of 2005 we've Civilization 4, another awesome game, and there goes for sure my social life. I continued with World in Conflict, Call of Duty 4, GTA:SA, CoD:WaW, CoD:MW2, GTA 4... this only counting computer gaming. So we can say that i've began with building cities, then builcing civilizations, to end with WiC's tactical nukes and definitively going communist with the Spetsnaz in CoD4. Lmao. Must admit i've had nice gaming years.
May Lenin'sk sprawl forever in wide and wise Mother Russia! - Lenin'sk City motto.

#130 frdrcklim

frdrcklim
  • LocationMetro Manila, Philippines

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think the first game I ever played was Duck Hunt.

But the first game that really got me into gaming was Command and Conquer Red Alert: Retaliation.

#131 Cantona_21

Cantona_21
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

My first ever game was Sonic the Hedgehog on SEGA Megadrive back around 1993. I progressed to a Sega Saturn before being bought a PS1 for Christmas one year, can't remember when. Since then Ive just bought Playstation 2s and 3s when they came out.

As far as PC gaming goes my dad got 'Ultimate Soccer Manager 1998' with a PC he bought. I got hooked on it, big time. I still play it :D I got into The Sims after that and discovered Sim City 3000 Unlimited in a little games shop in Australia in 2001. That really drew me into simulators and games like Total War (cant remember the term)

#132 Piteri

Piteri

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Sim City 2000 in '99

#133 Clayton F.

Clayton F.
  • Ea can kiss it.
  • LocationDining with the Devil.
Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Heh, my first game was Nascar Racing 1999 Edition:

Posted Image

My BAT Thread: http://community.sim...fus-bat-thread/
My Files: http://community.sim...oads&mid=358450

ST Rules: http://community.sim...tion=boardrules   

sJoNt4I.png

#134 TwisterAce

TwisterAce
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

SimCity 3000. Got it for my 7th birthday in 1999.

#135 people of NYC

people of NYC
  • Locationmanhattan

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

i think my first game is simcity 2000 got that at my birthday

#136 Silur

Silur
  • Squadron Leader

• 1,629 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

My first game was something in black/white colours about Digger and Emeralds (about 1989 - Installation from SONY C-60 Audio Cassette) ... :D

Edited by Silur, 11 June 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#137 katherman111

katherman111
  • LocationPötavn, Fjellöya, Empire of Carthamia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

My first game was Freddy Fish. Back then i was 3-4 years old. Later i started buying Race-Games and Adventure Games and later on games like simcity

Edited by katherman111, 14 September 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#138 packersfan

packersfan
  • LocationWest Allis, WI / Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Awards

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

My first ever game was my uncle's copy of SimCity 2000. It was always fun to go to my grandma's house to play that. Finally we got our OWN computer and played SimCity 2000. Probably the first game ever, on second thought, was Oregon Trail on the school's Macs.

After that my uncle gave us a joystick and a throttle for flight games. I remember borrowing X-Wing on floppy disk from our neighbors and I think my uncle gave us TIE Fighter on floppy disk. I remember always hoping I could get a perfect install of those games so I could play. Then we got X-Wing on CD, woot!

I remember also playing my other uncle's Nascar 4 with steering wheel and pedals. Wow, I forgot a lot of these things, but I look through all previous entries here and I remember more games.

Command and Conquer!!! Those games were a treat, haha.

My grandma bought me Star Wars Dark Forces (a DOOM cover) and I remember only getting through the first six or seven missions. I remember when I would get stuck on a level I would dream the game and think I figured out how to beat the level in my sleep only to find I just couldn't do it in real life, sigh. Those were the days. Then I got Star Wars Rebellion (RTS), and found out about MSN Games online to play Rebellion against other live people. I joined a guild or whatever and discovered that most of their membership played Star Wars Jedi Knight multiplayer (I immediately got Jedi Knight and lived online playing --- I remember that game supported so many modded maps, even the combat engine was modded, seriously that game NEVER got old multiplayer)...

I think I had a copy of Madden 96 which I bought from one of those Scholastic book club things we got through school. Then I finally got Madden 99 for Christmas or was it Madden 2001...I think 2001 was the one that changed everything for me...such a leap it seemed in graphics and the first time I played with a team other than the Packers ( I played a Ravens franchise with a created QB...who wants to play the Super Bowl champion Ravens with Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer at QB, ha). Then I picked up Madden 2003, 2005, 2007 on PC and then EA stopped making the game for PC...sad day....I had always had a franchise website (really professionally built IMO, especially for 14 to 20 year old. Finally I got an XBox 360 this year while in China and got Madden 12 with that....and then just recently the IMO disappointing overall Madden 13...then my XBox showed the red ring meaning it needs to be service...but considering it is a hacked unit, I don't know what I can really do.

Triple Play baseball was a great series too...then MVP Baseball 2005 was the last PC version of the game and continued playing that with incredible mods. Recently picked up MLB2k series with all of its modifications...eh.

I played through the entire Star Wars Jedi Knight series...but my most vivid memories are from playing Dark Forces the first time and playing Jedi Knight multiplayer as part of a guild.

I remember playing Roller Coaster Tycoon...an incredible game at the time, LOVED IT! Played some SimPark, always got frustrated with SimTower, played a little of the Sims, my sister had Sims 2 and many expansion packs.

Medal of Honor was a huge game for me. For some reason when I listen to Aerosmith, it gives me flashbacks to playing Medal of Honor...The Call of Duty series presented a serious upgrade over Medal of Honor for. I dabbled in Battlefield 2: Bad Company multiplayer with a friend of mine. We would have contests during some engagements on who could snipe farther distances, haha. That was a fun game.

I played Star Wars KOTOR...but not KOTOR II all the way through. I played Skyrim while my XBox still lived. Sunk some money into Entropia Universe. A varied and interesting gaming career. I must say, graphics, etc are incredible now compared to then, but it seems some of the magic is gone from games today...maybe it is the fact things are too crisp and high definition, I don't know.

Edited by packersfan, 18 September 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#139 jacksunny

jacksunny
  • jacksunny
  • LocationLeduc County, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness for the Nintendo GameCube, and I still haven't beaten it :lol:

Posted Image

#140 VeritaScientia

VeritaScientia

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

My first ever game was Rescue Raiders for the Apple II--though I'm not that old, my dad had his Apple II till I was 7. On that I played Karateka and Summer Olympics often.

My dad bought me my very own PlayStation for my sixth birthday and Christmas (two days apart, a lot of double presents) and btw I think my original PS1 still works, though it has to be tipped at about 120 degrees to read right

For that I played:
Gameday 98
NHL 98
Driver 2
Gameday 2000
SimCity 2000
JetMoto 2

I got a PS2 for my 11th or 12th birthday
Gameday 2004
Madden 07 (Up until this point I'd vowed never to play a Madden game but EA had the exclusive rights, so I was kinda stuck)
MLB 07
GTAs III, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City, and Vice City Stories
NHL 06
SOCOM US Navy SEALs 3

Last year I got an XBox 360 solely for the purpose of playing CoD: Black Ops's Zombie mode, until then, I'd resisted the XBox because I'm so used to the PlayStation way of having buttions, X, Square, Circle, Triangle, etc.

I have:
Madden NFL 10 and 12
CoD: Black Ops, don't play it too often, too many hackers, cheaters and trolls, only reason I keep it is because I still enjoy the occassional session of Zombie mutliation.
Battlefield 3: On there almost daily,
NHL 10
GTA: IV

PC:
SimCity 3K and 4 (I played SC2K and SoSC at my friend's house)
Armored Fist 3
USNF 97
Zoo Tycoon
RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 & 2
SimSafari
SimCopter
Probably others but I can't remember atm due to fatigue

SimCity is still being developed, just because something isn't in the game right now, doesn't mean it won't be in the final game.

#141 GamerManGT5

GamerManGT5
  • LocationWelver, NRW, Germany

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

My first ever game was TOCA 2 Touring Cars on PS1. Got it at my tenth birthday. It was always fun to play this game :)
Last year I bought TOCA World Touring Cars. Although this game was for PS1, but I played it on PS3 :D

Posted Image

My first Region Portrait!:

Status: Building New Aurenrich... because the old Aurenrich has got prop pox...

#142 Linoa06

Linoa06
  • LocationKöln ..
Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

My first game was Simcity on teh SNES as far as I can remember, but I didn't really get in gaming until my first PC approximately 10 years ago, and my first "real" game Diablo ^_^

"The Enrichment Center warns you that the Companion Cube does not speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disreguard its advice."

Traebia - New CJ! Be sure to feed me back :D

CiM Exchange -- the best CiM related fansite around :D

#143 Mr Saturn64

Mr Saturn64
  • Mr Saturn64... Just don't go looking for me cause I ain't gonna be there

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
DK 64
Star fox 64
Kirby 64
Mother 2
Pretty much all those Nintendo games.

"You have two hemispheres in your brain - a left side and a right side.  The left side controls the right side of your body and the right side the left.  Therefore, left-handers are the only people in their right minds."  - Bill "Spaceman" Lee.

Come visit the wonderful city of Saturnia.

#144 OcramSeattle

OcramSeattle
  • LocationGreater Seattle Area

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

I remember Freddie the Fish, as well as Buzz Buzz (rainforest plus demo of Airport), Putt-Putt (zoo plus a demo), Pajama Sam (a friend owned that), and that mystery game where you find out who stole the machine that mixed up scents.

--Ocram

#145 LexusInfernus

LexusInfernus
  • LexusInfernus

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I started out with the first Tomb Raider when I was maybe....8? Never liked it though. I played a lot of N64 stuff at a friends place, things like Zelda, GoldenEye and Star Wars.

After that my dad got a better computer and I could play SimCity 3000 which was of course loads of fun. I also played a lot of Civilization 2.

Then we got our own Playstation, and games like Resident Evil: Nemesis and Theme Park World. Also, I got hooked on FFIX, which to this day remains my favorite FF and one of my favorite games. I think I was about 12 there.

Then we got the PS2, with games like....eh.....hmmm......I dont quite remember. I think I used the PS2 more to play FFIX. My sis played newer FF games though. Oh yeah, and there was Jak and Daxter. Frustratingly difficult, but fun. Also played a lot of Halo on the pc. Still one of the best shooters ever made.

Then when I was 17 I got my Xbox360. Oblivion, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect are probably some of the most played games on there. Especially Mass Effect. I. LOVE. MASS EFFECT! Seriously I think that by now I played the three Mass Effect games combined longer than any other game on the Xbox.

I still also play on the pc. Stuff like Sim City 4 (of course) and strategy games are best played on the pc with a mouse :)

Come and witness the rise of Bostonia!

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/51414-the-rise-of-bostonia/

#146 Ace❤

Ace❤
  • LocationOoltewah, TN

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

WHOA, way back in the day D:

1. Sonic Heroes for Gameboy Advance SP
2. Nascar 2002, Gran Turismo 3, and NFSpeed Underground for PlayStation 2
3. Several other games for Gameboy Advance SP, including Driver 2, Nascar 2005, etc. etc.
4. Several other games for PS2, including Burnout 3 Takedown (still play this sometimes), AceCombat 04&05, Star Wars Battlefront 1&2, Lego Star Wars Saga, Thrillville, and tons of others.
5. First PC game, Simcity 4
6. Second PC game, Just Cause 2
7. 3rd PC game, Minecraft
8. PS3 Purchased, games=Battlefield 3, Portal 2, and Nascar 2012 The Game

That covers most of it doesn't it? :P

2wl4.png

Former Username: 10000000000000

"Ever wonder why the Yankees always win every game they play? The other team can't stop looking at the pinstripes."

#147 Mr.Ward

Mr.Ward

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I think the first game I've ever played was Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. I missed that game so much and I loved it that I brought Gran Turismo 4 right when it came out.

However now I just play Computer games like Minecraft, ROBLOX etc since the PS2 is pretty much outdated and mine does not work correctly anymore.

#148 Tonraq

Tonraq
  • Simtrop Enthusiast

• 4,556 posts
  • Do not pursue... this logo
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Awards

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

The first game I got is Sonic the Hedgehog in a good ol' Sega Cartridge console.

When my brother got a PS1, I think one of the first games that he bought is Tomb Raider.

One of the first games I played on a computer is not SimCity, but Half-Life Counter-Strike during the De_Dust era of Computer Gaming in the Philippines. After that I played several more MMOs but those weren't really appealing.

Several years later, and long after I fell in love with SimCity 4 and the Sims, my brother bought a PS2... I think one of the first games he played is Harvest Moon and Final Fantasy 7. After that he buys more games and a new PS3, I got my own computer and now plays SimCity 4.

siggie.gif

"Every image must have its own story"

#149 Zulnex

Zulnex
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

My first ever game was Battlefield 1942, which I still play occasionally.

#150 lew1984

lew1984

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

The first game I remember playing was Commander Keen episode 4 goodbye galaxy that came with my dads PC, but the very first game that was bought for me was X-wing... I remember being in the game shop with my dad and picking up the huge box- the ones that had a game with like five disks. For a young child that was such a hard game to play! Later I got Tie fighter which was much easyer...

Anyhow I still have Tie fighter/X-wing and all the original boxes, manuals, floppy disks:-). They are still my favorite games but had to buy the win95 cd versions to play on newer machines... Though I expect it wont be long before I can't even run that on new computers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users