• sim1234
    sim1234

Interview with Tarkus

When did you join Simtropolis?

February 24, 2006. Just over 15 months ago, in the last days of ST 4.0.

Why did you join Simtropolis?

I ran across the site by accident one fateful day in December 2005, actually from a link on Wikipedia. I had been looking around for SC4 custom content, and read about some of the stuff going on here in the article. When I finally followed the link, I was amazed particularly by some of the stuff that was going on in the Modding-Transit Networks forum--namely, the NAM, qurlix's Rural Highway mod, artforce1's Generic Highway Sign Development Project and ryanb_sc4's Two-Way Left Turn Lane mod.

Since I have always been a bit of a "roadgeek" and focused a lot of my energy in playing the game on the transit networks, this was an absolute revelation. I lurked around for awhile, read a bunch of tutorials, and quietly picked up as much knowledge as I could, so that when I finally became an active part of the community, I could make a useful contribution.

Did you ever expect to win the MOTM?

A long time down the road, maybe. Winning it now was a bit of a surprise.

Why did you think you were nominated for the MOTM?

Well, I'm not entirely sure why, honestly. Probably something to do with a few little transit modding projects I've been involved with.

Will winning the MOTM inspire you to do more for the community?

Regardless of winning this award, I already planned on doing more for the community on the transit modding end. But I am grateful that a few people in the community appreciated what I was doing to think it justified an award. I'm just doing my part to expand the capabilities for the game.

What do you do outside of Sim City 4 and Simtropolis in your free time?

I am a musician and composer by trade, so that generally takes up my free time. When I'm not writing or playing music, I'm usually listening to it--usually some sort of artistically inclined/prog rock, or modern classical music. Aside from that, hanging out with friends on occasion.

What are your favorite Simtropolis moments?

Well, there's a few I can think of. Generally, I've enjoyed interacting with some of the "regulars" in the Modding-Transit Modding forum. A lot of them are fellow transit nerds/roadgeeks, and it's really rewarding to help make some of the things that they (and I) felt were missing from the game possible. Admittedly, as some have suspected, I do, in a way, take glee in posting nebulous responses about release dates for various transit mods, like my fellow NAMites. We like to surprise people . . .

Do you have a job?

Right now, I'm primarily a full-time student. I'm working on my Ph.D. in Music Composition, though I'm also helping organize a music festival at the moment.

If you were stuck on a deserted island with one Simtropolis member, who would it be?

Just one, eh? Well, going with the old Lay's potato chips ad, "betcha can't have just one", I'd prefer to have the rest of the NAM Team on the island with me, as well as a few other people I've worked with on the RHW/Network Widening Mod (NWM) project. They're a bright bunch of people. It would be like Gilligan's Island, but everyone would be the Professor. Admittedly, that's kind of "cheating" . . . er . . . "parameter modifying" . . . but I really can't pick just one. Two words--Ctrl-X.

What have been your main contributions to the site?

Well, just a few little transit modifications here and there, I suppose, and helping out where I might be needed.

Do you have anything else that you would like to share with us?

I can't think of much else. Enjoy life and SC4. And of course, thanks to all the ST staff and everyone who nominated me for this award. I'm just doing my part to make a great game we all enjoy even better--nothing to it. Look for a new NAM very, very soon . . .

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.