• Kevin
    Kevin

Sunken Highway Tutorial

Choose the layout of the highway with roads. (No picture, it’s too simple)

Then, with street tiles, level out the area you want the highway to be. This must be 4 tiles wide, for optimum effects. My ground is completely flat, so I don’t have to worry. You only need it for 4 tiles, if you like to make overpasses, and to keep it simpler.

shtimage01.jpg

Then, whip out the hole digging lots. Demolish the street tiles first, though. Choose the one that is called sunken. Plop it every other tile, on BOTH sides. Drag through with roads. Now you have a pit for your sunken highway. I didn’t finish mine, but you can fully do your network. Make sure to level those edges, with street tiles. I also want to transition one side to an avenue, later.

shtimage02.jpg

You’re almost done, now. Just drag the highway through your pit, and you have the basics.

shtimage03.jpg

You can add some eye candy to your highway, now. I used the sunken highway eye candy kit, (http://www.simtropol...sunken&type=all) and retaining walls (http://www.simtropol...=walls&type=all). Here’s an example with the sunken highway eye candy kit!

shtimage04.jpg

Overpasses

This works best with retaining walls, and Pjot's add-on. Search Pjot on the STEX, and download the add-on. I will construct a road overpass, but you can construct any kind. Just use the other kind of puzzle piece. You can even construct pedestrian overpasses with the “Ped mall” button.

First, build the sunken highway.

shtimage05.jpg

Then, in the roads menu, click on the road puzzle piece tool. Cycle through with the tab button, until you find the OnSlope puzzle piece. You can use either the T one, or use the straight one. It depends on the situation. Place this on both sides. Note how I demolished my eye candy sides.

Then, click on the road puzzle piece button again. Cycle through with the tab key, until you find the road over highway piece. Plop that in the middle of the pieces you made before. You are done with that overpass!

shtimage06.jpg

Check it out! It looks real nice doesn’t it! Well, let’s add the side eye candy again. This time, it’s with retaining walls.

shtimage07.jpg

Well, here is an example with sunken highways. The areas are not developed yet, but they will! It’s much more complete, and hopefully it’ll give you ideas for your cities!

shtimage08.jpg

User Feedback