SimCity, by default, only supports a few generic resolutions. If you own a laptop or widescreen LCD monitor, odds are your resolution is not supported, and the game will appear slightly distorted and blurry/grainy. Following this simple fix will ensure that your game appears as it should.
To set a custom resolution:
1. Find (or create) your Rush Hour shortcut, right click it, and click properties.
2. In the target box, go to the very end of the text (Text should be the location of the game)
3. At the end of the target, PUT A SPACE!
4. Copy and paste the below code after the space, delete the words RESOLUTION, and put your monitors native resolution where the words were.
5. Start the game using the shortcut you just edited. You only have to use the shortcut once, and then you can go back to using the play button that appears when the disk is inserted. If you don't use the edited shortcut at least once, nothing will change.
To undo this:
1. Delete everything you added to the target box
2. Start the game using the shortcut. Just like step 5 for setting a custom resolution, Your changes will not be undone if you don't use the shortcut at least once.
Note: Larger resolutions require more system resources. If the custom resolution you set is larger than what you were previously using, you might notice a small decrease in performance.