• wouanagaine
    wouanagaine

Curving Roads

Please PM wouanagaine if you have any questions about this article.

This tutorial shows you a step by step tutorial on how I made those curved roads you can spot in the regional view of the header.

crimage01.jpg

I think it's quite an efficient method. I was inspired by the Curved highway Tutorial by Thalassicus, but unfortunately the move to ST5.0 removed the pics. But for summary, you place signs where you want the highway to pass through and refine the process and then build the highway between signs. For further explanations you can search the forums for "curved highway."

What this tutorial shows is a way to have a visual clue for the layout of the road (or any other network) so that you can plan where it will go.

First step is to set the "crime" view on

crimage02.jpg

I apologize for the French on the picture.

Now open you police menu

crimage03.jpg

And place one of your police building on the land.

crimage04.jpg

By placing different buildings, you'll see each one has a different radius for the curves. Place the buildings so that some of the lines touch each other.

crimage05.jpg

Choose wisely and you'll be able to draw a good looking network.

Now you can start building your network, making it follow along where the line goes.

crimage06.jpg

crimage07.jpg

crimage09.jpg

crimage09.jpg

crimage10.jpg

crimage11.jpg

Ok, now your network is complete.

Time to destroy the police buildings and see the result

crimage12.jpg

Looks correct at level 2 zoom

crimage13.jpg

Looks correct in the traffic view.

You can of course use this technique with any building that has a 'radius lines,' and it works with any network.

I hope you have appreciated this quick "how-to". I'm sure that you'll find plenty of use for this.

If you have any questions about this article, please PM wouanagaine.

User Feedback

very intuitive! bravo hopefully someday a mod could come around to facilitate building curved roads but this could do for now!

Share this comment

Hmm I prefer a good looking traffic layout from the city view rather than the region transport view, but interesting technique nonetheless

Share this comment