• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • A Beginner's Tutorial: MMP's: What Are They, and How to Use Them Effectively

The Avatar

Section 1. Terrain, Trees, and Tips for New CJ'ers

Now, MMP's are great for a small area, or even a city tile; but to cover an entire region with only MMP's would be madness. That's what God-Mode Trees are for. In CJ's, people often cover their region with trees using the God-Mode Tree Controller, which is the tool used in God-Mode to cover large areas with trees. Most CJ'ers who do so also use a custom tree controller, and a custom terrain mod. Custom tree controllers replace the Maxis God-Mode Tree Controller trees with custom trees (for instance, Cycledogg's trees). Terrain mods replace the Maxis terrain with custom terrain. MMP's, custom tree controllers, and terrain mods are all ways to make your region and the cities within look better and more realistic. One way to effectively use these in a CJ is by using a terrain mod, using the custom tree controller to cover the desired areas of your region with trees, and then adding MMP's for the final details when you want to show off that area in you CJ. To cover an entire region with detailed MMP painting, only to show some parts of the region in a CJ would be wasteful.

You may be thinking, "Okay, this is all great, but how do I get a terrain mod, custom tree controller, and MMP's?" To answer your question, here are some lists of popular terrain mods, custom tree controllers, and MMP's:

(List in topic)

Custom tree controllers (In same topic ^)

MMP's (Thanks to marsh for this wonderful list!) (All MMP's used in this tutorial are either induvidually on this list, or in a pack on this list. I think.)

Section 2. Creating a River Scene

In this section of the tutorial, I will give you tips on how to create a river scene. Please keep in mind, this is one river, with a set of MMP's that look good together. There are many other options and combinations to make a river, and as always with MMP's, there's no set-in-stone "right" way to do things. I am merely giving you general tips and inspiration. ;)

The MMP's/Terrain I used (most of them, anyway...) to make this scene:

• PPond Water

• PEG Shoreline Plops - Gravel

• PEG Shoreline Plops - Rock Clusters

• PEG Shoreline Plops - Small Rocks

• PEG Shoreline Plops - Boulders

• VIP Cattails and Other Flora

• PEG Cattails

• VIP Rocks

• VIP Automata and Various Other MMP's

• Cycledogg Trees

• Cycledogg's Olympic Terrain Mod

• Cycledogg's Olympic Tree Controller

• Heblem's Ploppable Dirt

• Ploppable Alsphalt by ???

I think that's all. ;)

First, using one-tile PPond Water, I created a river. The shape/size doesn't matter.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaajan15001.png

Next, I used 1/4-tile PPond to make the river wider, and smoother.

Then, I added some PEG Shoreline Gravel for the banks of the river.

(Note, after making this scene, I'd advise you to switch this step and the following steps. While it is impossible to plop other MMP's on this gravel, it is easy to plop this gravel on other MMP's. Learn from my mistake ;))

Then, I plopped some PEG Rocks in the central area of the scene.

Some more of this...

Next I added some flora; some by VIP, others by PEG.

I continued to add flora, rocks, and also some dirt by Heblem.

I then plopped some trees by Cycledogg and VIP, and also used Cycledogg's Olympic Tree Controller.

Adding small details for extra eyecandy...

And the finished product!

I know I left out the bottom left-hand corner, but this was simply for the purpose of this tutorial, so you get the general idea. (This was not very good, anyway.)

Section 3. Creating a Forest Scene

In this section of the tutorial, I will give you tips on how to create a forest scene. Please keep in mind, this is one forest, with a set of MMP's that look good together. There are many other options and combinations to make a forest, and as always with MMP's, there's no set-in-stone "right" way to do things. I am merely giving you general tips and inspiration. ;)

MMP's/Terrain I used (most of them, anyway...) to make this scene:

• VIP Seasonal/Evergreen Fagus, Aesculus, Firs, Cattails, Ferns

• VIP Rocks

• PEG Small Rocks and Boulders

• Lilypads by ???

• PEG Shoreline Plops - Sand 2

• Cycledogg 2009a Seasonal Trees (I think)

• Cycledogg Trees

• Cycledogg's Olympic Terrain Mod

• Cycledogg's Olympic Tree Controller

• Flowers by ???

• JRJ Transparent Ploppable Water

I think that's all. ;)

Let's start off with a clean slate, and use Cycledogg's Olympic Tree Controller to add some trees.

tutorialfeb800133834142.png

I thought this little clearing would be nice for a lake.

tutorialfeb110013383414.png

I used Jeronij's Transparent Ploppable Water to create a nice little lake, and plopped some VIP Cattails.

tutorialfeb110013383417.png

Next, I added some VIP/PEG Rocks and PEG's Ploppable Sand. With the transparent effect on the water, I thought this looked really nice. I also added some VIP flora.

tutorialfeb110013383422.png

I started adding some seasonal flora (mostly by VIP, but some by Cycledogg). Remember: In order to get the full effect of seasonal flora, make sure you wait until Sept. 1st in game, pause the game, and then plop away!

tutorialsep200133834261.png

And went extremely overboard... This went from being a lake in a forest, to a magical pixie spring. :P But at least it looks nice.

tutorialsep200133834339.png

Section 4. Creating a Tropical/Jungle Scene

In this section of the tutorial, I will give you tips on how to create a river scene. Please keep in mind, this is one river, with a set of MMP's that look good together. There are many other options and combinations to make a river, and as always with MMP's, there's no set-in-stone "right" way to do things. I am merely giving you general tips and inspiration. ;)

The MMP's/Terrain I used (most of them, anyway...) to make this scene:

• Heblem's Yucatan Terain Mod

• Rivit's Coastal Mod

• _marsh_'s White Sands Beach Mod

• SimFox Trees

• Heblem's Tropical MMP's and God Mode Tree Controller

• JRJ Rocks

• Goldiva's Rocks and Tropical Flora

• Cycledogg Trees

I think that's all. ;)

Let's start off with a clean slate again, this time with an ocean shore.

tutorialjan100013384094.png

Then I used Heblem's Tree Controller to add some tropical trees.

tutorialmar200133840960.png

To give the jungle more variety, I plopped some tropical MMP's by Heblem and some of SimFox's trees.

tutorialdec400133841060.png

I plopped more tropical flora, some by Goldiva, others by Cycledogg, and others by Heblem.

tutorialapr110313384244.png

(I changed to the White Sands Beach Mod at this point, the other one I was using just didn't look right.) Adding more details for a tropical feel, including JRJ Rocks, Goldiva Flora and Rocks, and Heblem's Beach Huts..

tutorialjun704133842608.png

The final product (without the grid, for added effect!)

tutorialjul260413384268.png

Section 5. The End?

Thank you all for reading! I hope this tutorial helped you better understand MMP's and how to effectively use them to create realistic scenes in SC4. These are not the only ways in which you can use MMP's. These were merely examples of how they can be used. Think of MMP's as your medium and yourself as the artist. No one can tell you how to create art (except my art teacher), so use MMP's how you want to, in the way that you feel is right. ;)

This is "The End?" because I might create a "Part 2" to this tutorial, in which I explain other ways to use MMP's to create other scenes. However, even if I never make a Part 2, I hope this tutorial inspired you to use MMP's to create your own scenes, whether for a CJ, or for your own use.

If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please PM me, and I will try to answer you as best I can.

~ Charles/Evan :)

AcaCZV, escilnavia, Nobo and 10 others like this

User Feedback

Jack³

Posted

Nice tutorial. This must've taken a very long time.

Share this comment

Ace3

Posted

Great tutorial. I am sure many will find it helpful. Thanks Charles! :)

Share this comment

Collin Pugeda

Posted

Where did you get JRJ Transparent Ploppable Water??? It keeps on saying No results found for 'jrj transparent ploppable water'.

Share this comment

The Avatar

Posted

Here it is. Mind you, it's on the LEX. If you don't already have an account, you will have to register. ;)

Share this comment

steelersfan95

Posted

the jungle is sick

try making a swamp?

Share this comment

Shark7

Posted

I'm sure this will be very helpful for players new to the MMPs. Nicely done tutorial.

Share this comment

daybreak

Posted

Thank you, Thank you!

Thanks for sharing :)

Share this comment

bloodygrail

Posted

wicked sick tutorial. nice one!

teach some more. :-)

Share this comment

hudman1984

Posted

Can you send me links to the mods you used? I'm new to this stuff and have been d-loading mods for 2 days but most of them are... not that great. I don't think i know what to look for. If you can find the time. Thanks.

Share this comment

Wolf O' Donnell

Posted

If you have spare time plz give the link for the asphalt thx. Btw nice guide

Share this comment

TheCentralCore

Posted

But why I have always brown boxes :'(

I want a solution for this please and I hope that some of you will answer this message because I needed :(

Ans also I like those pinetrees and also some of my lots (downloaded lots) don't have a building on the tile.

I would apriciate it to have someone that woult like to help me out of this. :)

( Sorry for my English if you don't understand it. :s )

Share this comment

ariezu

Posted

"But why I have always brown boxes :'("

One of the most common reasons for brown boxes is that you do not have all of the dependcies downloaded for the mod you are using. This is easy to do . To fix it I would suggest that you go to the download page of the mod you are having trouble with and make sure you have also downloaded the dependicies you need. If you are not sure you can search your files on your computer. If you have all of your mods in your my documents  Sim city plugin folder this can be fairly quick to check.

Good luck !

Ariezu

Share this comment

FlyHigh

Posted

Nice tutorial and explanations! It's nice to see the concepts so clearly explained.

There is a new tree controller out from Blunder called the that is pretty extensive in the use of tree props and fine tuned to hight levels.

Share this comment

jacqulina

Posted

great tutorial 

Share this comment

Bassdrum

Posted

Thanks for that nice work!

Share this comment

Gamer2ShaggySmrf

Posted

I think MMP's and I will get along very well. Thanks for the tutorial.

Share this comment