• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • How to Create and Mod Textures

un1

Authors: Un1 and Deathtopumpkins

If you have any questions about this article, PM Un1 or Deathtopumpkins for more information.

Part 1 - How To Create and Mod Base & Overlay Textures

Before we get started, a common knowledge and the having of the following programs is required.   (Click to go to the download link)

A Photo Editing Program (MS Paint is an example)

SC4 Tool

Lot Editor

IrfanView 

Just a note about the lot texture I am using, this texture I am using is just a easy texture I made so I can make invisible base textures.

Step 1,

Make the texture using any photo editing program.

Here is my example, (Read the texture note above for any questions on the texture)

0xF45AAAAA-PNG.png

Link to better quality .png.

Step 2,

Resize the texture to 128x128.

Try to use IrfanView for this, it is much more friendly to use.

PartA1.jpg

PartA2.jpg

Step 3,

Save the image as any name you desire, though, I like to save it as a texture code.  (It keeps things simple in the long run)

PartA3.jpg

Step 4,

Load SC4Tool and select the Texture Creator.

PartB1.jpg

Step 5,

Select the .dat file you wish to load the texture into.

*Anyone who tries this out after the LAM (Landfill Addon Mod - by un1) is released, please don't put your textures in it*

PartB2.jpg

Step 6,

Then select add texture.

PartB3.jpg

Step 7,

Select the folder that is circled in the next photo and find your texture.

PartB4.jpg

Step 8,

Make sure the circled items below are selected.

PartB5.jpg

Step 9,

Insert the texture IID (Identification hex number) , you can get your own range here.  If you do not use your own specific range, duplications can occur and produce unwanted results in the game.  To avoid this, please request your own range.

*NOTE: Do not copy the above hex.  This is my own and will cause conflicts.

Insert the first texture in your range in the selected area.

I suggest that you don't click on the "next free IID" button.  This will require you to re-paste the IID.

PartB6-1.jpg

Please do not put 0xF45AAA into that area as it is my personal IID. Get your own here

Then click on "OK".

That is all for making the textures, now you want to check the following things to make sure it works right.

Check 1,

Right after you click "OK" you close the add texture box then click on the texture you just added.

If it worked right it should look like this,

PartC1.jpg

Check 2,

Then you open lot editor to see if it got into the list.  If it did not make into this list, you either did not insert the correct hex, or something else went wrong.  Re-read the above steps and try again.

PartC2.jpg

Check 3,

Now check to see if the texture goes onto the lot the right way.

PartC3.jpg

This concludes part one.  Part two covers transit texturing.

Part 2- Transit Textures

Necessary Tools:

-Ilive's Reader

-FiSHman

-photo editing program (MS Paint will suffice)

-SC4Tool

Note: In this article I will be replacing the orthogonal road texture with a slightly modified one to match the SCRT's upcoming Transit Retexturing Project.

STEP 1:

Open the Reader, and select "Texture Viewer" from the Tools menu.

1.jpg

Note: This only works for the Maxis network textures. To get any custom ones, such as for the Rural Highway, you must open the dat and extract the textures, by selecting them all, right clicking, and clicking "Save Decoded File." If you use this method, skip steps 1-3.

STEP 2:

Expand "Street/Road/Rail/Highway" and then "Zoom 5," and click "Road." Don't panic if at first you don't see anything. Even on my high-end PC it takes a minute for them to load.

2.jpg

STEP 3:

Scroll down until you come across the orthogonal road textures. Then right-click on the one entitled "0x00004b14" and click "Save FSH." It then saves the .fsh file for that texture somewhere on your computer, usually in the last folder you had open (i.e. when I just did this it saved it in the folder containing the pictures for this article.

3.jpg

STEP 4:

Open FiSHman, select Open, and browse for your file. When open, right-click the bitmap icon, and click "Export... Color."

4.jpg

When saving the file, be sure to save it with the same name as the original .fsh file. This is not absolutely necessary, just extremely helpful later on when you go to putting it back in the game. It will always begin with "0x," and in this case it's "0x00004b14." Then in the "Save as type" field, save it as a .png (Portable Network Graphics). For the purposes of this article, it does not matter where the file is saved to.

5.jpg

Once you've saved the color png, do the exact same thing for the alpha, just add something on to the end of the filename to distinguish it. I usually use a lowercase a.

STEP 5:

Close FiSHman and open the .png file in the image editing program of your choice, make your desired changes, and save. When you have all the textures you wish to make a texture mod out of, open SC4Tool.

Here's the texture I'm using:

0x00004b14.jpg0x00004b14a.jpg

STEP 6:

Once SC4Tool opens, select the "Create your own textures" button, and wait as the program loads all of the texture files.

6.jpg

When it's done loading, you should be at this screen:

7.jpg

Click the Star to make a new dat file. You should then be at this screen:

8.jpg

Despite what the window's title says, this is in fact the "Save..." window, and is where you will name your dat file you're going to create. The name has no effect on the mod, so it doesn't really matter what you name it.

STEP 7:

Once you click "Open," it returns you to the "Texture Creator" window. From there, click the little picture icon, and it opens this window:9.jpg

You then need to check the "Disable TGI-checking" box, or you'll get an error when adding textures, and select the "Traffic texture" radio button.

STEP 8:

Click the folder button next to the 128x128 field in the Bitmaps box. In the window that comes up, browse to wherever you saved the .pngs, select 0x00004b14, and click Open.10.jpg

Then click the camera icon next to the folder icon you clicked on. This tells SC4Tool to automatically copy this texture for all zoom levels. Some people prefer to do a separate texture for each zoom, but that is not necessary, so I don't usually bother.

Then repeat what you just did for the alpha textures, and you should end up with this:

11.jpg

(yes I'm aware that my images are JPEGs, I had to convert them to post on here, and so just used the converted ones for the purpose of this article)

STEP 9:

The last thing you need to fill in for this texture is the IID (Instance ID), which goes in the field in the top left. Remember back when I had you name the .png after the .fsh? That was because the.fsh was named with the IID for that texture, and now, since the .pngs are named with the IID, we can use that as reference for entering the IID. But it's not exactly that simple... The last digit of the IID must be changed to 0 to work, as the last number of the IID stands for the zoom level, and the 0 acts as the overall one.

If your window now looks like this, you're good:

12.jpg

Then just click OK and you're good. A folder will appear in the panel on the left with your textures, and you can keep adding more by repeating the last few steps. Once all of the textures are in there, just close the window, move the dat into your plugins folder, and start the game! It automatically saves every time you add a texture.

Note: It is safe to delete the .sav file accompanying your dat when you are finished.

BIWDC likes this

User Feedback

Bryan623

Posted

Does this work with RHW?

Share this comment

RedScope53

Posted

Yes.It works with all networks.

Share this comment

Aragon4tvl

Posted

Unfortunately I can't seem to get SC4 Tool to work...

Share this comment

KonstantinII

Posted

Link goes to omnibus. So I am supposed to get texture number at omnibus? Where in the omnibus exactly?

Share this comment

APSMS

Posted

Link goes to omnibus. So I am supposed to get texture number at omnibus? Where in the omnibus exactly?

There is a thread over at SC4Devotion.com that you just have to search for (BSC Texture index). Geoffhaw (I think) is responsible for the assignments. He is usually pretty responsive.

Share this comment

rsc204

Posted

Very helpful thanks, just one thing I would add is that the Group ID for each texture has to be set to 0x0986135E otherwise your textures will not appear in LE/SC4-PIM correctly, for more info check this thread on SC4 Devotion:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13944.20

Share this comment

Ng_pillow

Posted

how do you get your personal ID?

Share this comment

Ng_pillow

Posted

how do you get your personal ID?

Share this comment

Ng_pillow

Posted

the website to get personal IDs is spoilt.

Share this comment

Ng_pillow

Posted

the website to get personal IDs is spoilt.

Share this comment