• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Insider's Look: GlassBox Game Engine (Part 1)

Kevin

Maxis has released the first video in a video-blog series entitled "Insider's Look: GlassBox Game Engine." It seems like we've heard a lot about the engine since SimCity was announced, but Dan Moskowitz, Gameplay Lead for SimCity takes the time in this video to walk us through some specific examples of what the engine actually does:

As Dan notes, the video isn't intended to be representative of the game's final graphics, so it's important to keep that in mind when watching. Still, the video does show off some gameplay aspects that we can hopefully look forward to when the game launches. I was particular drawn towards the ability to customize and upgrade certain buildings, such as a fire station, from within the game itself.The extent of possible customization is unclear at this point, but any customization at all will be nice for us non BATers who still want to change how certain buildings look and function. A quick glimpse at terraforming and zoning abilities look promising as well.

The main purpose of this video is to show off the Glassbox engine, and it seems every bit as powerful as we have been led to believe so far. As the video explains, the simulation consists of several interacting aspects, from resources like coal and workers, to resource-carrying "agents" like pedestrians and vehicles. All of the effects and animations are directly affected by the simulation rules, so nothing that you see is without a purpose.

Check out the video below, and stay tuned to Maxis's developer blog and Simtropolis for the game updates.

Casual Criminal likes this
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

haux

Posted

Oh, man. I'm going to need a new computer. And I'll keep my old computer so I can keep playing SC4 in case this game gets too insane.

Share this comment

gc6164

Posted

looks really good! also all my requirements exceed the expectations for this gae :D so cant wait! already pre-ordered it.

Share this comment

AnorexicPickle

Posted

With all the transparency of the engine, I'm hoping that the whole game won't rely on it. I still want data views, spreadsheets, charts, all that stuff before I feel like a real mayor. The game looks slick, but without those things it won't feel like Simcity to me.

Am I alone?

Share this comment

gpulos24

Posted

Kinda Reminds me of sc3000 but its not I hope its a lot better i have allready pre purchased it on Origians

Share this comment

RedScope53

Posted

I hope there are 2 lane roads...

Share this comment

nukeu123

Posted

prise the lord 2:09 explains the zoning system... HURRAYY ORIGINAL ZONES!!!

Share this comment

citiesxlfan42

Posted

I hope the ground texture on those reisdential lots isn't final. Haha and ZONES!!!!!!!!1

Share this comment

IL.

Posted

I like the idea of the new simcity and the new stuff, but I hate the graphics

Share this comment

jwazydizzle28

Posted

@IL.

They are not going to be releasing it until 2013 and we don't know the month yet so they still got tons of time till they worry about the graphics but I do hope that the graphics look some what realistic and not so cartoony.

Share this comment

IL.

Posted

Oh great then

Share this comment

simtalay

Posted

I really hope when the game is released the factories dont have boxes of goods being circulated around like they do in these videos.

looking at most factories in real life, nothing can be seen from the outside, its should be the same in the game, yes theres stuff going on inside, but boxes of goods dont get lifted out of one window, lowered down the building and back into through another window!!!!! LAME!!

Its got to be realistic, the factories have to be like in real life, not with stupid animations giving the expression that they are producing something.

Share this comment

biigsmall

Posted

It's only a rough demonstration . the graphics should be better if not more refined than Cities Xl .

Looks good so far , still have 18 months to work on details . They are working on the game dynamics first and obviously getting feedback from it . They specifically said not to pay attention to the graphics . DER!

Share this comment

MTLT_17

Posted

Yea I gotta have this! My new PC built in December should run this fine

AMD 8120 8-Core CPU 3.1 GHz

12GBs PC1333

AMD Radeon HD 5830 1 GB card

Nvidia 9800GT 1 GB card

I hope I am fine... I should be.

Share this comment

th3_jok3r

Posted

cool, I only think some buildings are too colorful. I need a new VGA soon. any req specs?

Share this comment

J0shua

Posted

cant wait! really like the idea of expanding buildings (units can be combined)

Share this comment

Melzerman

Posted

It's gonna be crazy!

Share this comment

ralph christian

Posted

simcity is back again! check out the own website of simcity!

Share this comment