• Kevin
    Kevin

Insider's Look: GlassBox Game Engine (Part 1)

Maxis has released the first video in a video-blog series entitled "Insider's Look: GlassBox Game Engine." It seems like we've heard a lot about the engine since SimCity was announced, but Dan Moskowitz, Gameplay Lead for SimCity takes the time in this video to walk us through some specific examples of what the engine actually does:

As Dan notes, the video isn't intended to be representative of the game's final graphics, so it's important to keep that in mind when watching. Still, the video does show off some gameplay aspects that we can hopefully look forward to when the game launches. I was particular drawn towards the ability to customize and upgrade certain buildings, such as a fire station, from within the game itself.The extent of possible customization is unclear at this point, but any customization at all will be nice for us non BATers who still want to change how certain buildings look and function. A quick glimpse at terraforming and zoning abilities look promising as well.

The main purpose of this video is to show off the Glassbox engine, and it seems every bit as powerful as we have been led to believe so far. As the video explains, the simulation consists of several interacting aspects, from resources like coal and workers, to resource-carrying "agents" like pedestrians and vehicles. All of the effects and animations are directly affected by the simulation rules, so nothing that you see is without a purpose.

Check out the video below, and stay tuned to Maxis's developer blog and Simtropolis for the game updates.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Oh, man. I'm going to need a new computer. And I'll keep my old computer so I can keep playing SC4 in case this game gets too insane.

Share this comment

looks really good! also all my requirements exceed the expectations for this gae :D so cant wait! already pre-ordered it.

Share this comment

With all the transparency of the engine, I'm hoping that the whole game won't rely on it. I still want data views, spreadsheets, charts, all that stuff before I feel like a real mayor. The game looks slick, but without those things it won't feel like Simcity to me.

Am I alone?

Share this comment

@IL.

They are not going to be releasing it until 2013 and we don't know the month yet so they still got tons of time till they worry about the graphics but I do hope that the graphics look some what realistic and not so cartoony.

Share this comment

I really hope when the game is released the factories dont have boxes of goods being circulated around like they do in these videos.

looking at most factories in real life, nothing can be seen from the outside, its should be the same in the game, yes theres stuff going on inside, but boxes of goods dont get lifted out of one window, lowered down the building and back into through another window!!!!! LAME!!

Its got to be realistic, the factories have to be like in real life, not with stupid animations giving the expression that they are producing something.

Share this comment

It's only a rough demonstration . the graphics should be better if not more refined than Cities Xl .

Looks good so far , still have 18 months to work on details . They are working on the game dynamics first and obviously getting feedback from it . They specifically said not to pay attention to the graphics . DER!

Share this comment

Yea I gotta have this! My new PC built in December should run this fine

AMD 8120 8-Core CPU 3.1 GHz

12GBs PC1333

AMD Radeon HD 5830 1 GB card

Nvidia 9800GT 1 GB card

I hope I am fine... I should be.

Share this comment