• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

Video: Building SimCity's sandbox

JaceTwice

Courtesy of the GDC Vault, this free GDC 2013 video sees Maxis' Dan Moskowitz defining what a sandbox game is and sharing lessons learned from building the team's latest sandbox title, SimCity.

Moskowitz defines sandbox games as "goal-free exploration games, where fun is derived from discovering how the game mechanics work." Here, Moskowitz explores how Maxis discovered what worked in its own sandbox using the Glassbox simulation engine, with lessons including determining granularity, finding and re-using patterns that work, figuring out how to scale, and exploring mechanics "breadth first".

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193358/Video_Building_SimCitys_sandbox.php

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Lot Creator

Posted

Glassbox would be fun if it actually worked. But they don't. Nor do they seem to admit the fact that sims are basically electricity with no life, no thinking, nor value.

Sorry bro, but if you want people to think that people can figure out how a broken game works, you are lost.

Share this comment

Superbacon

Posted

Finding and re-using patterns that work? No. Stop doing that. It doesn't work.

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

uh no...a sandbox game gives you the freedom to create whatever you want...it's not about trying to figure out how to get around the limitations designed into a game.

Share this comment

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

I'm most certain the information they give about sandbox games is erraneous. Sandbox games are suppose to let you create whatever you want.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

If this is what they think they designed, they missed the whole picture by a country mile.  I wonder if any of them have ever played SC4 deluxe?

With a programming team like this, no thanks, I don't want any.  I've already had some.

Share this comment

Wiimeiser

Posted

Glassbox seems more designed for RTS than sim...

Share this comment