Followers 0

The Workers of SimCity

I. Lostalim
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

cirugo

Posted

he actually admits to being behind this?

Share this comment

BLANKBLANK

Posted

The Glassbox engine is the most retarded simulator ever!

Share this comment

Terring

Posted

In order for the citizens of your city to thrive, they must work to earn money and then spend that money to receive happiness.

Seriously? The more you spend, the happier you are? This strategy makes parks and playgrounds useless. So in order to keep your Sims happy, all you need is to just build homes, factories and shops. Nothing else. No parks, no plazas, no libraries, nothing. With one word, materialism. We have it in real world, why we should have it in games as well?

Sims are selfless little troopers, working at any place they are required. Even if their home was destroyed, they will take up occupancy in a new home all in the name of keeping the city running as effectively as possible.

Sure it's great to have citizens ready to help you building your city, but this is ridiculous. Both above strategies makes the simulation too easy and boring. I like to build my city with my way, but I also want a little challenge to make the city healthy and happy. And by the way, I'm the only one who finds the walking distance too short?

Share this comment

katherman111

Posted

Diamonds are a girl's best friend, appearantly a very common thing in Simcity 13

Share this comment

NCGAIO

Posted

he actually admits to being behind this?

well... 

gameplay Scripter
    Electronic Arts
    May 2011 - To date (2 years 1 month)

Noted the language used ... well technique, is not it?

Now a peek into the material of the GDC presentation last year.

This project was a mess of different ideas from the beginning so could only result even in this little game!

Share this comment

cmgrafmc

Posted

"What you see is what we sim" ... in the most unrealistic way imaginable.

"Oh, I'm working at this factory here, right in the middle of my shift, but there's a company down the street that says they need me to leave right now and help them out! See you later, boss!" I dare you to try that more than once.

"I just moved into this house and it's right next to a business! That's great because they'll automatically hire me every morning regardless of my qualifications. I can walk to work! Oh, except I may not go home to the same house at night. Hm."

"I'm an employer and I'm going to spend my time going door to door recruiting random people to work for me, every shift! I'll start with the person right next door, I'm sure he or she will be perfect!"

These are not simulations of any scenario I've ever seen, and my career is workforce development. I'm not asking for 100% accuracy but the model they've adopted for just about everything is 100% nonsense. The more I read about the choices they made, the happier I am I canceled my pre-order before it was too late.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Far too simplistic.  Sims need to look for a job for which they are qualified.  This assumes that everyone is quallified for all jobs.

"Doctor, doctor, you've got to put down that screw driver".

"Uh, doctor?  What's that?"

Share this comment

macscfan

Posted

Even though you have to assign jobs, I swear Tiny Tower handles employment of virtual characters in a more intelligent manner.

This Glassbox stuff is turning out to be a huge ripoff.  It is not what we were promised.

Really makes me wonder about the project management of this game.

I'm going back to SC4.  Shame that the Cities XL people can't improve the performance and add a few little things, they'd be cleaning up on upset SC5 customers.

Share this comment

mb1.0.2

Posted

It really is stupid.  And it also doesn't work correctly.  I have a city that has 300 $$ jobs available and then another city with 250 $$ unemployed citizens.  When I'm in the residential city, on a GOOD day, 50ish commute.  In the other map, where the jobs are, only about 8 commute...ever.  The system just simply doesn't work as advertised.  It's a shame.

Share this comment

bifordus-maximus

Posted

The problem I have is that the system does not work the way it is explained.

Share this comment

firewerk

Posted

I’m responsible for writing the logic that drives the systems of the game.

What logic?! The entire article just proves how illogical the entire simulation is!

Share this comment

Mr. Flibble

Posted

Why is the word "sim" even attached to this? There is nothing remotely realistic in how either the workplaces or the citizens behave. It simulates nothing. This is like pitching a flight simulator that doesn't bother to model thrust and aerodynamics and decides to write a wholly fictitious algorithm based around wind pushing you up from the ground and from behind.

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

Click for full image. I found this on imgur.

LNQmxXn.jpg

Share this comment

lew1984

Posted

I gave up on this game a long time ago.

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

People still play this , cant even call it a game, thing?

Share this comment

eburress

Posted

"What you see is what we sim" ... in the most unrealistic way imaginable.

I'm not asking for 100% accuracy but the model they've adopted for just about everything is 100% nonsense. 

They completely punted on so many ESSENTIAL things in the game (terraforming, realistic city sizes, freeways, subways, etc) so that they could do complete nonsense...and nonsense that most people never wanted to begin with.  I'm dumfounded.   

Share this comment

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

This game is stupid. That's only my opinion by the way so...

Share this comment

MandelSoft

Posted

Reading the thoughts behind this "simulation" makes me cringe. Why... just WHY? Seriously, the person who came up with this idea should be fired... and so do the people on the board agreeing to him.

This is no simulation in any way. A simulation is supposed to be an approximation of reality. It is supposed to get close to reality as it can. A good simulator has a logical rule set that is based upon reality, mathematical models to apply these rules in the actual simulation so what you simulate is to some point similar to reality, a good approximation.

What I understand here is that they made up their own rules. And this is where it goes wrong. It's no longer a rule set that approximates reality, but it approximates what they believe is right in the simulation. They want you to play by their rules, not the rules of reality. Things like sims keep on switching jobs and homes, being selfless big spenders doesn't even come close to reality!

What happens next is that you get a model that off from reality, because the model isn't based off reality. This means this game has been broken by design. Badly broken by design. Whatever you put into this simulation as a user, you get garbage out, because the process itself produces that garbage.

And this is why Cities in Motion 2 is a better simulator than SimCity 2013, despite the fact that Cities in Motion 2 is not a city simulator, but rather a transport simulator by design. It's sad to see that Maxis lost their magic touch to make a good simulation...

Anyway, I'll continue with SimCity 4. This 10 year old game isn't dead yet and we can still push out some more of it. At least this piece of 2003 technology has its simulation rule set based upon reality...

Best,

Maarten

Share this comment

Nesral Sredna

Posted

All this chatter about agents and how the engine works, are they trying to prove something? I thought this was Simcity, not Agentscity..

Share this comment