• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

The City Services of SimCity

Guibanez_

Greetings fellow SimCity lovers! My name is John Giordano I am a Gameplay Scripter. My role in the project has been focused on scripting mainly for the Fire, Power, Garbage, and Recycling systems. What I do is write code in the GlassBox Engine scripting language that determines how these systems will interact with the simulation. The work that I do involves a lot of logic. It’s like a giant, crazy game of chess, only we have hundreds of thousands of game pieces and one-hundred times more rules! In any case, I've been knee-deep in building this game with my scripting brethren here at Maxis. Needless to say, we are proud of what is shaping up to be a fantastic simulation game!

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

A Nonny Moose

Posted

The more screenshots I see of this, the less I like it. They've really targeted the "must have 3D free camera" crowd, eh? Never mind that it is at the expense of cities over 100,000 and larger than 4 sq. Km. and no control over the region's structure.

Now we have definitive word that this is really a retread of SC:S. Sharing city services between cities separated by heaven knows what distance definitely has social overtones.

Well, yes, I would like to be able to share some services like airports between cities, but there are work arounds in SC4 for even this even if it is only an artifice.

However, it appears that there is a certain ossification of the intellect at Maxis, probably brought on by the weak-minded and fashion chasing executives at EA. Social is not where its at for PC gaming.

Share this comment

OldTurtle

Posted

I actually enjoyed that article. Well at least alot more than all other disappointing news in relation to online only and no man's land.

I think the modular system is a great idea, allows for more realism and more fun than simply adjusting the funding. And the sharing of services sounds pretty good as well. I only hope Maxis come to their senses and allow adjacent city tiles.

Share this comment

teamyoyo

Posted

The buildings all look like they're mode of LEGO.

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

i dont know about you guys, but these citys and buildings seriusly reminds me of the sims 3.

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

To be fair, I LOVE the idea that you can share schools, hospitals, police, etc. with another city. The micro - simulation and all the little details in it sounds great. I am just worried about the big picture.

Share this comment

KingGab

Posted

I'm thinking about reinstalling sc4 every day...

Share this comment

Moriadne

Posted

To be fair, I LOVE the idea that you can share schools, hospitals, police, etc. with another city. The micro - simulation and all the little details in it sounds great. I am just worried about the big picture.

Depending on how they go with it, there might not be much of an endgame, if any, to speak of.

I think what screwed them over is their emphasis on the Glass Box engine. It seems it was a little too early for them to introduce if you can't make a realistically sized city, let alone a district, with it using current computer power.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

I'm thinking about reinstalling sc4 every day...

If you have a disk resident version your best bet is to pony up the fee and get a copy of the digital download. Comes fully patched and ready to go.

Share this comment

InvaderNat

Posted

i dont know about you guys, but these citys and buildings seriusly reminds me of the sims 3.

The buildings all look like they're mode of LEGO.

Yeah thats one of the main deal breakers for me. You can't make a realistic looking city with this game from the looks of things.

Share this comment