• Moose
  • State of SimCity: Offline Being Discussed; Bigger Maps Not Coming

SilentMage

First, I want you to know that we are listening to your feedback. We dig deep into the forums, Facebook posts, and Twitter feeds every day to see what players are talking about. There is a lot of feedback and there is a clear passion for SimCity. That’s great to see. And while we appreciate positive feedback, we take very seriously the players who have criticisms. Players have high expectations of what goes into our games and we have an obligation to deliver.

We continuously review this feedback alongside in-game telemetry to help us decide where to focus our game tuning and development efforts. We’ve formed dedicated teams to explore specific features. Some player requests, such as a tool to raise and lower roads, were straightforward challenges. Some of the larger asks, such as bigger city maps and an offline mode, have required more thought and exploratory work.

Visit Source

bobolee, kamdon, Dirktator and 9 others like this

User Feedback

Mr. Nestlé

Posted

Well, with him confirming that bigger maps will not be coming, we can now only hope that they will someday offer the possibility to have a region with cities touching at their borders, essentially like they do in SimCity 4. Or that the combination of an offline mode and extensive modding possibilities will allow the creation of SC4-like gameplay.

At least he wrote that offline mode and modding are under consideration. I really do hope that that works out. And that they listen to oppie for the modding.

I then may consider to buy the game. If it works out.

I wish them good luck.

Share this comment

Cyclone Boom

Posted

It's good a dedicated offline mode is strongly being looked into. This would open up a whole range of possibilities.

"The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities."

I think this confirms larger maps are possible, even though performance is an issue. Maybe GlassBox can be tweaked or simplified by the community. Let's not give up hope yet.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

Honesty is the best policy, as you can see. 

Now the possibility of an off-line mode tweaks my interest.  The price is still a barrier since I am an advocate of low or no software price.  However, it is not as if I couldn't pay this price, it is just reluctance.

The truth is clear that for the average gamer with this free camera 3D system larger city tiles are out of the question.  As usual, fitting an elephant into a breadbox is out of the question.  Not everyone can afford or even want the kind of machine needed to run a larger city.

It is really too bad that they have essentially bitten off more than they could chew as this has really messed up their copy book with many of us.  I am beginning to think that the smashing of Glass Box would be a good idea.  Either that or the examples I have seen are far too simplistic.  Simulations have to be able to treat each object -uh- objectively, and not as a herd.

Share this comment

NCGAIO

Posted

As for the maps it was already clear from last year as repeated dozens of times.

Hum! Simcity 0ff-line

Does anyone from EA now prepared to give a statement?

Something like " we are reassessing our guidelines "

"EA says they are no longer in the business of making offline games."

"Thank You 

Our launch wasn’t what anyone on the team hoped for. We think about this every single day, but we’re proud of how far we’ve come over the past few months. "

even seems a farewell ....

Share this comment

elavery

Posted

Without bigger city sizes this game is dead in the water.

Share this comment

Freddyeddy

Posted

Relevant quote here:

"City sizes have been a constant point of conversation among our players since we released the game," he said. "The game's original design focused on the density of an intimate urban environment. It was about intercity connectivity and the challenge of managing a region of cities instead of one metropolis in isolation.

"However, we recognise that many players have expressed the desire to build up one big city rather than manage the interrelationship of multiple smaller cities.

"We've put months of investigation into making larger city sizes, reworking the terrain maps, changing the routing algorithms of our agent-based system and altering the way that GlassBox processes the data in a larger space. 

"After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn't be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We've tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn't achieve it within the confines of the engine.

"We've chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-04-looks-like-simcity-is-finally-getting-an-offline-mode

Share this comment

SAGGG

Posted

If this is true about not having bigger maps, then I'll confirm that I won't be playing this game again. You can count on that, jack...

Share this comment

paeng

Posted

I don't understand it - if they can't / won't increase the city tiles, all they need to do is push the individual tiles close together to get rid of the dead space... all they need is to keep 1 pixel distance to the next city - enough for the sim to realize there is a gap, and small enough for the player not to notice it...

Share this comment

Architechnid

Posted

I think that I am less interested in this SimCity, and more interested in the next city sim. 

This game just gets too boring way too fast.  I'd rather have ridiculous freedom at low resolution than super detail for four blocks.  take minecraft for example.  That game's resolution sucks, but it's one of the most popular games because it give players so much freedom. 

Maxis, and any other game maker would be wise to take freedom and UGC as an essential part of a game into account, particularly in this genre when making any future games.

As for this game, I'll likely not buy any DLC for it, unless it so fundamentally improves the game that it makes it more complex, and therefore, fun.

Share this comment

SAGGG

Posted

EA ain't caring about us. That's the only conclusion I can make...

Share this comment

McGilligan

Posted

Wow..

Well I'm glad that they at least made a very clear statement about the city size before the release of the expansion and I'm also very glad that my investment in this game went no further than the base game. What a disappointment

Share this comment

beatle

Posted

That is unfortunate about the city sizes, I liked the game's graphics and did not mind being online all the time to play.  I was holding my breath, not playing the game for the past several months, waiting for some sort of expansion pack/dlc focused on city sizes, terraforming or new maps.  They shot themselves in the foot with their GlassBox engine design, being online and probably knew about it a long time ago, so they hyped the game and shipped it out early.  They limited themselves in so many ways.  They now talk about modding but also in a limited fashion.

Back to Simcity 4 I go. I never get tired of that game after 10 years of playing it.  The modding community here has single handedly kept Simcity 4 alive for this long.  I will hold my breath again for another great city simulation game but it probably won't be from Maxis EA.

Share this comment

Hamish

Posted

A shame about city sizes. would really have liked to see bigger ones. The size now is okay, but bugger cities would be really nice.

Good to hear about offline mode being looked into, specifically with modding integration into the offline mode. 

I hope to see modding come with a way to make buildings for SC13, and maybe we can start looking into ways to extend the city boundaries, or eliminating boundaries in the offline mode.

Share this comment

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

Nice to hear about the possibility of an offline mode! :D

Though, it really does suck that bigger city sizes just aren't possible. :C

Share this comment

xannepan

Posted

I did not buy the game yet, but I have been keeping a close eye on Oppie who created the first custom content (building). I have been waiting to make a decision to buy the game and start creating custom content myself. Now I know there will be no bigger maps my decision is final: i will not invest in learning how to mod or create custom content. Really a shame.

Share this comment

Empowered One

Posted

So it's not possible to make larger city tiles that can only be played OFFLINE?

Share this comment

Cpt Johnny

Posted

So it's not possible to make larger city tiles that can only be played OFFLINE?

That's right. EA's ultimate aim is to suck the wealth and soul out of every minion who's willing to purchase their good-for-nothing wares.

Share this comment

dscampbell

Posted

Nice to see this post. Sad to hear abut the city size, but actually this only means that it won't be possible just yet, not never. Computingpower will improve, so in he future bigger cities might be available. As for ofline mode, good to hear it is beïng considered.

There is one thing that worries me though, and that is that I have doubts about the honesty in this post, mainly because of this: " Some player requests, such as a tool to raise and lower roads, were straightforward challenges." This is clearly untro since Dirk allready confirmed this tool to be a part of the developers version when they visited the maxis studio. So if they are dishonest about this, then what value shold I hold the rest of the informatie to.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

The problem with getting larger city sizes is not EA, but the hardware limitations of most users.  That free 3D camera that everyone wanted eats processors and memory.  Don't ask for things you don't understand:  you might get them.

From this point on, I'd suggest that if you've never written a simulation with millions of objects, one should refrain from hurling brick bats.

Share this comment

JoshuaGellock

Posted

Without bigger city sizes this game is dead in the water.

Far from it. The game is awesome and its only going to get better with time.

Share this comment