• Moose
  • Simtropolis will be at Maxis, Oct 8-9!

Dirktator

So we have been invited to Maxis' studios at the main EA campus to get some first-hand impressions of the game and to interact with the developers.

Up for this trip will be Zelgadis and myself to represent the Simtropolis community. We will be getting some hands-on time with the game itself, and some time to speak with the developers.

We will also be attending the Maxis live broadcast the following day, where SimCity will also be a topic of discussion! This is super exciting and we're looking forward to seeing the new game in person and will be getting some chat-time with the development team.

I'd love to bring down some of your burning questions to ask in person, so please use this topic to let us know what you want us to try to cover. I can't promise we can get answers for everything, but you know we'll try our best!

Both Zelgadis and I will be visiting with Maxis Oct 8 and attending the live broadcast event Oct 9. We'll post frequent updates via the website and twitter, so let us know what you want us to say or keep an eye out for.

We'll also give you a full debriefing when we get back, as well as our honest to goodness first-hand feedback of this new version of the greatest city simulation game.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback everyone, we'll take the top most voted questions down with us and try to dig up some answers as best we can!

Visit Source

User Feedback

jacksunny

Posted

Awesome! Have a great trip!

Share this comment

Bipin

Posted

Now this is the kind of news article/interview with MAXIS we need! Finally we can have those burning questions sought to be answered by the community, actually posed as questions.

Share this comment

Haljackey

Posted

Oh wow this is an amazing opportunity Maxis is presenting to Simtropolis! I'm sure you'll have a fun time as well ;).

I'd love to bring down some of your burning questions to ask in person, so please use this topic to let us know what you want us to try to cover.

One of my burning questions has to do with the transportation system. I know they revealed Glassbox and various networks but we have yet to see things like freeways and how the system will interconnect with not just the city itself but other cities in the region. If you could somehow get some clarification on that topic that would certainly be of value to the community, especially for those speculating about the transportation mechanics of the game.

I'll certainly be following your updates while you're there. Have a good trip!

Share this comment

Vampirovibrio

Posted

Great to hear that Simtropolis have been invited to the event. *green with envy* I have some questions I hope you are able to ask or find out through the hands-on.

1) if weather is in the game, how would it affect the sims or economy? Not talking about weather disasters.. Like if there is rain, would it cause traffic to slow and cause more traffic jams or less sims would be willing to go shopping?

2) what are the checks and balances in place to prevent players from abusing the global market and spill over effects of crime, pollution? It would seem right now that there is little that players can do if their neighbors decide to be a tyrant.

3) will there be any mode of water transportation?

4) Given that with glass box engine uses agents to determine coverage of services such as schools, police and so on, what impact (if any) would there be in terms of coverage if the agents temporarily are unable to reach the destination. Eg, if there is a traffic jam, would the coverage of say school ( presuming that school buses determine the coverage area), be reduced temporarily? If so, what kind of impact would it have on the sims (if any)?

5) would there be micromanagement of civic buildings like that in Simcity 4? Are you able to set different tax rates for the different "wealth level of sims"?

Thanks and have a great time!

Share this comment

baertooth

Posted

Is there plans to include options for those that don't want to participate in the Global Economy or leader boards to be able to shut them off for solo play? By extension, will there be an option to make resources non-depleting as to prevent resource starvation by not participating in the Global Market?

Share this comment

simsantos

Posted

I would like to know if there will be ports, ferry boats and a subway system?

Have a good and safe trip.

Share this comment

diego

Posted

I'm wondering if we will be able to build vibrant, walkable downtowns with no surface parking (or very limited/behind buildings) or space between buildings. From the released screenshots all I see are buildings with huge gaps between them and street fronting surface parking. Thanks a lot!

Share this comment

Monster's Cat

Posted

Can you ask them if, emergency services like a fire, when somthing happens, if the player dispatches them, or if it automatically does it. And if there are medical emergencys, and car crashes and emergency services go to that.

Share this comment

Morrinkt

Posted

1) Why did the game move away from a continuous region like Simcity 4, to a more separated and somewhat barren region in SC2013? Why do you not enable single-player users to have the continuous region like before to create larger, more life-like cities?

2) For what reason are saved game files hosted on online servers only, and not to be saved on a personal harddrive? What would happen if there was a power outage at Maxis, or with the ISP company, thus unable to stream data of my saved city to my computer?

3) Why is there so much emphasis on multiplayer capability all of a sudden out of a franchise that has boosted an amazing single-player experience for over a decade?

4) How do you justify building sets being sold as separate DLC content, when in all the other previous games, especially SC4, all building sets were included in the initial retail game?

5) Why is the single-player still affected by the multiplayer global market system? It seems like a single-player feature should not be affected by outside influences that the user has no control over. What would he or she do if the outside market causes his or her city to collapse, even though he/she has nothing to do with the global market? It seems unfair to the player to be affected by outside variables if they wish to only experience single-player features.

I have millions of other questions, because EA/Maxis really have lost touch with the Simcity userbase, but I think I'm just going to stop here for now.

Share this comment

zzazzmatazz

Posted

Sorry if this seems long, but these are some questions that haven’t been answered yet but;

-Will we be able to create small towns, surrounded by farmlands?

-Will we be able to build ports, marinas, or shipyards?

-Will we be able to build highways with interchanges, and overpasses in this new SimCity?

-Will there be one way roads?

-Are city ordinances going to be back?

-Are you monetizing building sets or styles?

I would appreciate if you ask some of these questions to them, and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Share this comment

Greyflame

Posted

Here's the questions I shot their way on their blog. The more chances to get them asked the better!

1) In regard to agents/sims and mass transit: how do busses and trams determine their destination? Are the routes pre-defined, such as by the player? If not, what if agents on board have destinations in different parts of town; how do the busses/trams prioritize their destinations and routes? Do they attempt to reroute if an accident blocks their path?

2) Can we expect more tilesets in the future? Might we pick and choose our loaded tilesets so that we could, say, have a city comprised exlusively of traditional Japanese shoin-zukuri style and ultramodern Dubai structures?

3) Will larger (3*3+km) city tiles be available? Might there be a way to 'expand' the default 2*2 tile aside from linking to other cities?

4) Will the game feature agriculture, either as a zone or a resource?

5) I'm a suburban planner at heart; I love trams, but don't want a city that relies heavily on avenues/bigger roads. Can we build tram stations independant of avenues?

6) How extreme of map features can we expect? I picture cities built on massive cliff ridges, tiny island towns, cities at the bottom of craters, etc!

Thanks ~

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

I second all of Morrinkt's questions.

Share this comment

herob4u

Posted

All I need to know is:

-What technical difficulties made you intentionally cut off grand features that enriched the previous titles?

-Was the cut off worth it for implementing ONLY an online component? Do you realize that it isn't a fair bargain? Is there a compensation?

Good luck guys, many thanks to the interactive development team as well...

Share this comment

MandelSoft

Posted

It sounds really exciting for you that you can visit Maxis on behalf of this whole community. It's a great opportunity to get some of our big concerns heard to Maxis and hear what they really think about it.

Now, there are some big issues I have with the game from what I've seen now.

So far, I've only seen small cities, very small. 4 km² is not enough to build a city of more than 20 000 people, let alone a decent city. I've took some measurements of my own city (Zoetermeer, which has 120 000 inhabitants) and came to the conclusion that you need 15 city tiles like that to re-create the whole city. And this is linked to the next concern...

From what I've seen, all city tiles lay far apart from each other, and not side by side as in SimCity 4. The old setup from SC4 is one of the key factors I could keep on playing this game: you have a whole realm in front of you, a region you can make as big as you like and you can lay out yourself. You could even make bigger cities that extend over multiple tiles, creating the illusion of an huge metropolis. This doesn't seem to be possible anymore in the new SimCity, and in combination with small city sizes, this is what kills the game for me.

My question regarding this issues would be: are there plans to make coherent regions like in SimCity4 and/or are there plans for bigger city tiles? Currently the region setup is the most important for me.

And another thing: motorways. We haven't seen any real ones since the announcement of this game, while they were included since SimCity 2000. Moreover, I haven't seen any grade-separated intersection at all, though I'm very fond of using that kind of intersection, because it allows more realism and creative intersection solutions. Are there plans to include this stuff too anytime soon?

These are my most burning questions. Good luck with the visit!

Best,

Maarten

(Moderator & NAM Team member)

Share this comment

Izidor44

Posted

Woot ! Nice trip, take care !

I didn't find so much informations about maps and their specifities. If possible, I would be very interested to know how map will be done, which are the differences with actual SC4 mapping...

...enjoy !

Izi

Share this comment

jason leo

Posted

i would be suprized if it will takes 15 city tiles to create Zoetermeer ! how about The Hague, how many will be take for Vredrust, Scheveningen, Kijkduin, the downtown around Den Haag CS, and then Leyweg, Groote markt, the chinatown and still many more areas ? Will a half of Dr. Kuyperstraat takes 3 city tiles? That's crazy for me. And then, how big is the tiles ? I won't create The Hague using 100-1,000 tiles! And if we would be affected by other cities' market, that will cause some problem if they get a bad luck and then, there should be more than ten unlucky player, and then, it would be hard to control the economy of our cities. I also have some more question, will those pedestrian way and motorway exist ? Will we need to connect them with a parking lot simply just to connect the street to them and motorcycle and bicycles run away from the motorway toward the main street? That certainly unrealistic if such thing would be happen. And then, I love to create rural areas, how will the products from those farm and small factories would be distributed ? How could we make connection to another city that controlled by another player ? Will we suddenly get a bunch of road and rail connection from a mysterious area outside our control ? And the last thing that i want to ask at this moment is could we create neighbor deals outside power, water, and garbage, but also to sell our products to another city and even create union of cities and declare war toward those cities that led by bad guys? Okay, that's all from so many questions that i have, thank you.

Share this comment

Dijego

Posted

^ wall of text

Hey, make sure they don't manipulate you into promoting their game, stay focused!. Only if it is an actual good game that exceeds simcity 4.

Thanks!

Share this comment

Harbin91

Posted

Tell them what is wrong with what we've seen of the new game (i.e. forcing multiplayer cities) and ask them (although this is probably EAs fault) why UK customers have to pay to get the UK city tilesets.

Share this comment