Followers 0

Simtropolis interview with Maxis Part 2 - Ocean Quigley

Dirktator
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

Haljackey

Posted

Yup, water pipes are one thing I'm glad they got rid of in SC13.

lol @ using some of my screens

Great interview guys!

Share this comment

Cyclone Boom

Posted

A very informative interview. I like how it's presented, with images that link to the explanation.

The transport system is definitely one of the most promising features about the game. As Ocean said, there does seem to be a solid foundation laid here. This does give it potential to be expanded on in the future.

I agree with the decision to incorporate utility networks into the roads. After all, this is what usually happens in real urban environments. Cables, sewers and pipes are often concealed below / alongside roads, providing access for inspection and maintenance.

As for subways, I don't think they're a major omission. In SC4, they were functional, but weren't overly interesting. Once a subway network was built, it could easily be disregarded, since they weren’t seen in physical operation.

Share this comment

Hoipus

Posted

I actually liked laying pipes so I could separate the water supplies for various types of zones to reduce the effects of pollution.

I thought the entire point of simcity was for those people who think "I can make a better city than that" to try to do so. Sure, most "real urban environments" these days do put all of the wiring and piping under roads, but what if I wanted to try it differently?

Share this comment

Cyclone Boom

Posted

^ I agree, more layout options would always be welcome. There is a big difference between urban and rural areas. For example, rural areas commonly use power pylons instead of underground cables. This is due to it being a much cheaper method of energy distribution.

Remember, it's always possible for these things to be added later on. Ocean did mention that the capabilities of roads could be expanded. This could also apply to power, water and sewage. Getting the base features working reliably is obviously the priority.

Share this comment

Sandis_van_Great

Posted

I personally liked to payout pipelines, and couldnt they just admit that there is no point of power lines in this kinda small village tiles and becouse you cant really build anythign betwen thoes village tiles so.

Share this comment

andisart

Posted

I actually like the integration of the utilities into the roads because it's handy and it's realistic and therefore makes sense. But I still would welcome if there was at least the option to lay down pipes and power lines off the road network. It doesnt have to be an advertised feature, but if you wanted to you could do it.

Share this comment

A Nonny Moose

Posted

@#$!%%!.  I suppose its the load on the site, but this video hangs and I have to kill firefox to get control.  Will try when things are quieter.

Share this comment

cirugo

Posted

getting rid of laying pipes?  fine...no one's going to care that much.  It's everything else they've gotten rid of that's the dealbreaker(s).

Share this comment

Hellken

Posted

3:22

"..Road density was the most straight forward way [to control what grows next to the roads].."

Surely, the developers could have just controlled the type of zoning density (low, medium, high density) if you wanted to control what grows next to the roads? That would be a simple solution. 

There's hardly a correlation between road density and what grows next to it. New York, Los Angeles, Manila, Tokyo, etc... 

-----

The music sounds nice. 

Share this comment

Cefien

Posted

Okay that was really interesting, but it cracked me up in the end of the video. What was that Mr. Hym, nervous?  :lol:

Share this comment

InvaderNat

Posted

As for subways, I don't think they're a major omission. In SC4, they were functional, but weren't overly interesting. Once a subway network was built, it could easily be disregarded, since they weren’t seen in physical operation.

No subways is a rather massive omission I think, or at least it would be if the cities could actually grow to the size where you'd need them. I suppose your right in that regard.

I can't wait for this whole thing to blow over so we can all get back to SC4.

Share this comment

Bookitty

Posted

No subways is a rather massive omission I think, or at least it would be if the cities could actually grow to the size where you'd need them. I suppose your right in that regard.

Never had subways work for me… I’ve purchased 2 copies of

SimCity 4 over the years. When I use the “query tool” to see the capacity usage, it always showed 0% passenger usage. Paid city income for a service that never worked; glad I won’t have to be dealing with those again in this new version!

Share this comment

Dirktator

Posted

Okay that was really interesting, but it cracked me up in the end of the video. What was that Mr. Hym, nervous?  :lol:

I think he forgot his sign-off and we all cracked up and decided not to do a re-take and leave it at that...

Share this comment

InvaderNat

Posted

Never had subways work for me… I’ve purchased 2 copies of

SimCity 4 over the years. When I use the “query tool” to see the capacity usage, it always showed 0% passenger usage. Paid city income for a service that never worked; glad I won’t have to be dealing with those again in this new version!

You need to place them properly by the sounds of it then - and download NAM + traffic controller. Mine get good usage when placed right.

Share this comment

lucidus

Posted

I love laying pipe, even more than playing simcity in fact.

Share this comment