• Moose
  • Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

SimCity University Tips

Monster's Cat

Greetings, Mayors! This is Greg Eng and I am one of the Gameplay Scripters here at Maxis. I wanted to take the time to tell you about some of the less seen features that are available to the University when you play SimCity. We've noticed that while many of you are enjoying much of the content that is available, there are a few pieces in the University that are getting less attention than others. While the University takes a significant investment in both time and Simoleons, it is a powerful unit that can affect many systems in the entire region.

Dormitories

Unlike the Grade School and High School, the University (and Community College) will have several classes each day, allowing it to teach more students than it can hold at once. The two things that are directly affected by the number of students taught per day are the level of the building and the amount of industrial skill produced. The more students that are able to get to the university, the more it will level up, allowing for additional wings to be placed; which in turn increases the student capacity allowing for even more students. Each student that has been taught that day also contributes to the high tech industrial skill that provides educated workers, allowing more high tech buildings to be supported.

dorms.gif

The more students, the quicker you increase your high tech industrial skill, so it makes perfect sense to place dormitories at the University. Dorms provide students to the university without the need to build up more residential. They also allow many students to get to class without adding to traffic near the beginning of classes. While dorm students won't increase the knowledge of your residential buildings, they will go shopping at nearby commercial buildings. Also, since you control where the dorms are placed, you can control more where students can go first, ensuring certain wings get students if there bonus is more important to your city.

Read the rest: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-university-tips

Visit Source

Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

User Feedback

bluespottedhorse

Posted

Ok so you are tweaking the University! What about the more important issue of city size. Most universities will fill the current map sizes you provided, then what? Sims have to live in very large cities to have Universities.

Share this comment

Empowered One

Posted

I can't seem to sustain Universities in my cities with just tax income alone. And yes, that's even WITH School of Buisness etc. That seems very unbalanced to me.

Share this comment

Cottoncandy Cyanide

Posted

That's nice to hear! .w.

But, can you make the universities cheaper, expand the size so the university ACTUALLY CAN USE A SMALL PORTION than a large one! c:

Also don't forget traffic and graphic issues. :/

Share this comment

KingGab

Posted

how about bigger cities?

Share this comment